Netflix movie or show suggestion

Rita, if you like Kingdom, you may also enjoy Doc Martin. Both have plenty of quirky characters.
We love Doc Martin! Every Monday, there's New episode on Acorn. It's so funny to watch him with their baby.

When the kids were younger, say 10 years ago (12 - 5 yrs old) we watched the series All Creatures Great And Small. Aired back in 1978 to 1990. Set in the 1930's about veterinarians in Yorkshire England. After a few episodes of character development it was very enjoyable to watch and the kids loved it.

When the kids were younger, say 10 years ago (12 - 5 yrs old) we watched the series All Creatures Great And Small. Aired back in 1978 to 1990. Set in the 1930's about veterinarians in Yorkshire England. After a few episodes of character development it was very enjoyable to watch and the kids loved it.

I'm re-living those days right now, watching the series again :)

I just took about 100 dvd's in to sell to the local video place in town....I was surprised at some of the stuff they took....old, strange stuff (Got $120, better than giving them away). They gave me back about 10 that their computer didn't like. ACG+Small was one of the DVD's I left on the shelf. Not sure whether I will keep it or not....but I think I will watch it again before I do turn it in. And then in 3 years or so....we are planning to head back to Yorkshire to live. My wife won't even consider living "down south"(said with derision). Taking in another pile to sell next week.

We love Doc Martin! Every Monday, there's New episode on Acorn. It's so funny to watch him with their baby.

I like both Kingdom and Doc Martin. Giving up my cable tv in May of this year was the best thing I did all year; I am now discovering or rediscovering all these great British series. Discovered Midsomer Murders a couple of months ago and it's a real treat.

Just started watching the first in the new series of Inspector George Gently. Set in Durham, 1966, about 12 miles for where I grew up. I was age 11 and started at grammar school that year.

"Death by China"

Not enjoyable, but necessary.

Thanks, I've added it to my list.

Last night I watched Freakonomics (2010) which was both enjoyable and very interesting with many segments on a variety of subjects. Looking at the reasons behind the dramatic drop in crime in the 90's was particularly interesting.

we watched Hunger games to refresh our memory before the second one comes out.

We watched Bridesmaids. DW selected it as she likes comedies. A little raunchy but kind of silly and fun.

I come to this thread regularly and add your suggestions to my list. Now, if I can just get through MI5 and Breaking Bad .. I can get to the suggestions you've made!

I come to this thread regularly and add your suggestions to my list. Now, if I can just get through MI5 and Breaking Bad .. I can get to the suggestions you've made!

... and don't forget the British comedy "Breaking Wind".... (aka "Today in Parliament")

... and don't forget the British comedy "Breaking Wind".... (aka "Today in Parliament")
Growing up, when TV first came to India, "Yes, Minister" was (and still is) one of my favorite shows. Will check this one out too. Thanks.

The Bletchley Circle is excellent and has been renewed for a second season. My DVR is ready whenever it starts up again.

Great news! I watched all 3 episodes of the first series over the weekend. Excellent indeed! Looking forward to another season.

Also watched the latest season of George Gently. Glad they're letting the John Bacchus character mature a bit.

I just love it in GG and Vera when they say "bairn". :flowers:

Growing up, when TV first came to India, "Yes, Minister" was (and still is) one of my favorite shows. Will check this one out too. Thanks.

Apologies - Today in Parliament was just a joke. It was a daily BBC radio report of the wind bags in parliament debating bills.

I have all the DVDs of Yes Minister and Yes Prime. Minister. They are still worth watching today.

Great news! I watched all 3 episodes of the first series over the weekend. Excellent indeed! Looking forward to another season.

Also watched the latest season of George Gently. Glad they're letting the John Bacchus character mature a bit.

I just love it in GG and Vera when they say "bairn". :flowers:

I'm from Durham, was age 11 when George Gently was set. 60 miles away when we lived in Dumfries their word for "bairns" is "wains"

Speaking of British TV series, if you liked House of Cards (the US version) go to Netflix and check out the original BBC House of Cards from 1990, on which the US production is based. Personally I prefer the BBC series, which is faster moving and more witty.
Original British films and television series are almost always superior to the (invariably dumbed-down) American remakes. See e.g. House of Cards, The Office, Cracker, Get Carter, State of Play, The Ladykillers, One Foot in the Grave, Prime Suspect, etc. ... the list is almost endless.

Just watched the 1st of 3 parts of a murder mystery called the Bletchley Circle set in England in 1952.
IIRC, one of the minor characters in Danger UXB worked at Bletchley Park, and committed suicide because he couldn't cope with the pressure.

Try "Coupling" the BBC series. The first two seasons are hilarious. One of the key characters left in the 3rd season and I didn't enjoy it as much.

Watched this last night and liked it, The Interpreter with Nicole Kidman & Sean Penn:
Silvia Broome is a linguist whose job is to translate for her assigned delegate the complex issues facing the United Nations. But her daily challenge turns perilous when she overhears a plot to assassinate a high-ranking government official.

Skyfall (2012) - IMDb
Skyfall - now on netflix

Saw it last night. It had less sex/flirting scenes, less (almost none) eye catching gadgets, no breathtaking actions, typical plot line, less engaging main characters (he's no Sean Connery). 2 stars out of 5 (5 being the best). I suggest it if you suddenly find yourself bored and have 2 hours to burn. :D

Enjoyed Thor - I am not a big fan of comic book turned movie but I found this humorous. Watching it for the 3rd time today.

Aeon Flux - I have DVD but wanted to see it on Netflix's super HD. Aeon simply look gorgeous.

Red Dog is a 2011 Australian family film directed by Kriv Stenders and produced by Nelson Woss and Julie Ryan. The film is based on a true story from the novel Red Dog.

Just watched on Netflix. Was very good, and many will enjoy the movie.

Back
Top Bottom