Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Over the weeks leading up to Halloween we streamed some of the classic monster movies. Frankenstein, The Mummy, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman - what fun!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I come to this thread regularly and add your suggestions to my list. Now, if I can just get through MI5 and Breaking Bad .. I can get to the suggestions you've made!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I come to this thread regularly and add your suggestions to my list. Now, if I can just get through MI5 and Breaking Bad .. I can get to the suggestions you've made!
... and don't forget the British comedy "Breaking Wind".... (aka "Today in Parliament")
Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
... and don't forget the British comedy "Breaking Wind".... (aka "Today in Parliament")
Growing up, when TV first came to India, "Yes, Minister" was (and still is) one of my favorite shows. Will check this one out too. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
The Bletchley Circle is excellent and has been renewed for a second season. My DVR is ready whenever it starts up again.
Great news! I watched all 3 episodes of the first series over the weekend. Excellent indeed! Looking forward to another season.

Also watched the latest season of George Gently. Glad they're letting the John Bacchus character mature a bit.

I just love it in GG and Vera when they say "bairn".
Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Growing up, when TV first came to India, "Yes, Minister" was (and still is) one of my favorite shows. Will check this one out too. Thanks.
Apologies - Today in Parliament was just a joke. It was a daily BBC radio report of the wind bags in parliament debating bills.

I have all the DVDs of Yes Minister and Yes Prime. Minister. They are still worth watching today.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Great news! I watched all 3 episodes of the first series over the weekend. Excellent indeed! Looking forward to another season.

Also watched the latest season of George Gently. Glad they're letting the John Bacchus character mature a bit.

I just love it in GG and Vera when they say "bairn".
I'm from Durham, was age 11 when George Gently was set. 60 miles away when we lived in Dumfries their word for "bairns" is "wains"
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Speaking of British TV series, if you liked House of Cards (the US version) go to Netflix and check out the original BBC House of Cards from 1990, on which the US production is based. Personally I prefer the BBC series, which is faster moving and more witty.
Original British films and television series are almost always superior to the (invariably dumbed-down) American remakes. See e.g. House of Cards, The Office, Cracker, Get Carter, State of Play, The Ladykillers, One Foot in the Grave, Prime Suspect, etc. ... the list is almost endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Just watched the 1st of 3 parts of a murder mystery called the Bletchley Circle set in England in 1952.
IIRC, one of the minor characters in Danger UXB worked at Bletchley Park, and committed suicide because he couldn't cope with the pressure.
"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #169

Try "Coupling" the BBC series. The first two seasons are hilarious. One of the key characters left in the 3rd season and I didn't enjoy it as much.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #170

Skyfall (2012) - IMDb
Skyfall - now on netflix
Old 11-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #171
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Watch The Sapphires Online | Netflix

- an Aussie film about a group of Aboriginal singers who aspire to sing to the troops in Vietnam. Hey Chris O'Dowd as their manager too!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Watched this last night and liked it, The Interpreter with Nicole Kidman & Sean Penn:
Quote:
Silvia Broome is a linguist whose job is to translate for her assigned delegate the complex issues facing the United Nations. But her daily challenge turns perilous when she overhears a plot to assassinate a high-ranking government official.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Skyfall (2012) - IMDb
Skyfall - now on netflix

Saw it last night. It had less sex/flirting scenes, less (almost none) eye catching gadgets, no breathtaking actions, typical plot line, less engaging main characters (he's no Sean Connery). 2 stars out of 5 (5 being the best). I suggest it if you suddenly find yourself bored and have 2 hours to burn.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #174

Enjoyed Thor - I am not a big fan of comic book turned movie but I found this humorous. Watching it for the 3rd time today.

Aeon Flux - I have DVD but wanted to see it on Netflix's super HD. Aeon simply look gorgeous.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #175

Red Dog is a 2011 Australian family film directed by Kriv Stenders and produced by Nelson Woss and Julie Ryan. The film is based on a true story from the novel Red Dog.

Just watched on Netflix. Was very good, and many will enjoy the movie.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Original British films and television series are almost always superior to the (invariably dumbed-down) American remakes. See e.g. House of Cards, The Office, Cracker, Get Carter, State of Play, The Ladykillers, One Foot in the Grave, Prime Suspect, etc. ... the list is almost endless.

Interesting, we watched the Netflix version and really like it. Tried the British version and were bored with it, couldn't get past the first two episodes.
I am going to add that I agree I generally enjoy British versions better than US.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

A few more entries:

Justified - DVD series - US Marshall
The Killing - series, Seattle Washington Detectives
Harry and Tonto - movie, Art Carney and cat
Bomb Girls - series, Canadian Women WWII
Land Girls - series, British Women WWII
Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #178

Saw 1945 B&W movie, Brewter's Million. It was 11:00 pm and I was looking for an hour to kill before falling asleep. This movie came in at 75 minutes or so and I decided to watch it. The story line is somewhat predictable but, overall, it was funny, and enjoyable. The movie is fast paced and I had hard time keeping up with math .
Old 12-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

We watched Daniel Deronda and enjoyed it. This was a 2002 Masterpiece Theatre (about 3 hours) that we somehow missed.

This Netflix summary doesn't quite do justice to the show:
Quote:
The illegitimate son of a wealthy aristocrat, Daniel Deronda harbors a secret past and a ready supply of cash. But when he meets Gwendolyn, a beautiful woman in desperate need of money, things get complicated, as he's already involved in an affair.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #180
Dryer sheet wannabe

My Netflix find is gem of a comedy called The IT Crowd. British comedy. Love how the Brits can take the simplest, smallest location and make it hilarious.