Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm2 View Post
Here is an 'anti-suggestion':

"Attack on Wall Street." New movie, 2013, with a lame plot about evils of Wall Street and Capitalism. Don't bother. I seriously overpaid, and it was free.

Thanks for the tip.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Good Sheppard on DVD:
Quote:
This partially fact-based drama examines the early history of the CIA through the eyes of upstanding, sharp-minded agent Edward Wilson, who finds the job starting to erode his ideals, filling him with distrust and destroying his personal life.
It's longish and slow moving but we liked it a lot. Definitely the antithesis of a James Bond movie. Based very loosely on James Angelton (I think) who worked at the CIA and was nicknamed "Mother". Lead character is Matt Damon, great in this part.

Also it moves between the 1960's and the 1930-1940 era. You have to watch for the transitions.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #143
Administrator

Just watched the 1st of 3 parts of a murder mystery called the Bletchley Circle set in England in 1952.

This last year we've read articles of the very intelligent women who were code breakers and analysts working at Bletchley Park during WW II. Having signed the official secrets act these women returned to everyday life after the war and were unable to tell even their husbands about the nature of their work, let alone any details, most carrying the story of their secret lives to the grave.

This fictional story is about a group of such women who get together to find and stop a serial killer who is murdering women and evading the police.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

The Bletchley Circle is excellent and has been renewed for a second season. My DVR is ready whenever it starts up again.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmmmm, we'll have to check up on the Bletchley Circle show. We just watched two movies this evening for the first time in a while. The first one we quite liked (R.I.P.D)....quirky which we like. The second (Pacific Rim) we could have taken a pass on.....and I like SciFi. Although with the real clunkers I quite often pick out....neither was a stinker for us.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I have been watching a few episodes of "Kingdom" each evening. Pretty good British series.
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

I watched a documentary called "In search of Beethoven". Once again I am reminded of the genius of Beethoven and how radical his music was at the time. It's over 2 hours long and there are many interviews with, and pieces played by, concert musicians. The close ups of their hands, expressions and instruments add intensity. I recommend this for classical music fans.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Rita, if you like Kingdom, you may also enjoy Doc Martin. Both have plenty of quirky characters.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #149
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
Rita, if you like Kingdom, you may also enjoy Doc Martin. Both have plenty of quirky characters.
+1 to both, Stephen Fry in Kingdom and Martin Clunes in Doc Martin are both excellent.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

I watched the original House of Cards (British version) over the last week. Evilly good.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
We love Doc Martin! Every Monday, there's New episode on Acorn. It's so funny to watch him with their baby.
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

When the kids were younger, say 10 years ago (12 - 5 yrs old) we watched the series All Creatures Great And Small. Aired back in 1978 to 1990. Set in the 1930's about veterinarians in Yorkshire England. After a few episodes of character development it was very enjoyable to watch and the kids loved it.
rockymountainhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #153
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
When the kids were younger, say 10 years ago (12 - 5 yrs old) we watched the series All Creatures Great And Small. Aired back in 1978 to 1990. Set in the 1930's about veterinarians in Yorkshire England. After a few episodes of character development it was very enjoyable to watch and the kids loved it.

I'm re-living those days right now, watching the series again
Old 11-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #154
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
I just took about 100 dvd's in to sell to the local video place in town....I was surprised at some of the stuff they took....old, strange stuff (Got $120, better than giving them away). They gave me back about 10 that their computer didn't like. ACG+Small was one of the DVD's I left on the shelf. Not sure whether I will keep it or not....but I think I will watch it again before I do turn it in. And then in 3 years or so....we are planning to head back to Yorkshire to live. My wife won't even consider living "down south"(said with derision). Taking in another pile to sell next week.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #155
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaR551 View Post
We love Doc Martin! Every Monday, there's New episode on Acorn. It's so funny to watch him with their baby.
I like both Kingdom and Doc Martin. Giving up my cable tv in May of this year was the best thing I did all year; I am now discovering or rediscovering all these great British series. Discovered Midsomer Murders a couple of months ago and it's a real treat.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #156
Administrator

Just started watching the first in the new series of Inspector George Gently. Set in Durham, 1966, about 12 miles for where I grew up. I was age 11 and started at grammar school that year.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #157
Gone but not forgotten

"Death by China"

Not enjoyable, but necessary.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #158
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
"Death by China"

Not enjoyable, but necessary.

Thanks, I've added it to my list.

Last night I watched Freakonomics (2010) which was both enjoyable and very interesting with many segments on a variety of subjects. Looking at the reasons behind the dramatic drop in crime in the 90's was particularly interesting.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

we watched Hunger games to refresh our memory before the second one comes out.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

We watched Bridesmaids. DW selected it as she likes comedies. A little raunchy but kind of silly and fun.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote