Netflix movie or show suggestion

Was sick in bed for 3 days so watched a lot of netflips:

Faults - really, really good low budget indie
Deep in the Darkness - nice horror film from book
The Awakening - good BBC ghost flick

"Fair Game" is good, the story of Valerie Plame, the dumped and exposed spy.
It held my attention all the way through.

If you guys haven't seen The Widowmaker, you need to. It's a documentary about how stents are bad and we all need cardio screens.

I'm going to get one aslap and pay for it myself if I have to.

The Physician
2014 Movie

Seems good...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Don't rent Interstellar. :nonono: One of the worse movies I've seen in a long time. I usually like Matthew McConaughey movies but this one was awful. It's almost 2 & 3/4 hours of agony, for the viewer.

Last edited:
Couldn't really get into it. It would hold our interest for a while, then turn boring. Also, there is one horrible, very graphic scene where an animal is killed for fun (and it's presented for laughs! :mad:), which would be enough to make me give the whole movie a thumbs-down.

Amethyst

We enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel. It was funny, and interesting. The story moves fairly well with many has been actors playing minor parts. It was like watching who's who in Hollywood. See how many once famous actor names you can remember.

Don't rent Interstellar. :nonono: One of the worse movies I've seen in a long time. I usually like Matthew McConaughey movies but this one was awful. It's almost 2 & 3/4 hours of agony, for the viewer.

I thought it was pretty good.

I watched the first part of kung fu hustle before I fell asleep last night and I was laughing my head off. Has to be one of the funniest movies I've seen in years.

Wait, wait, wait. I haven't seen this movie, but the only criteria I use to judge the quality of a Matthew McConaughey movie is the number of times he takes his shirt off! :D
Right, ladies?
Still disappointed he didn't revisit his role from Magic Mike in the sequel. sigh...

Now that I've completed my sexist comment of the day, I'd like to say that we are deep into Ken Burns' Civil War series that had somehow escaped my viewing in the years since it was first aired. Worth the watch, for sure.

Saw "Unbroken". Compelling story, but way too much brutality for me to enjoy it.

Interstellar was pretty plotless. There are a few cool moments. I especially liked when he wakes up in the space station. But mostly it was wandering and probably an excuse to watch Matthew McConaughey. Someone doesn't understand dimensions, so that's the explanation for every special effect they want to try.

Liked this from Netflix DVD, John Le Carre's: A Murder of Quality
Legendary undercover agent George Smiley (Denholm Elliott) comes out of retirement to help solve a baffling murder at a cloistered, all-male boarding school. As the inscrutable Smiley digs beneath the surface, he uncovers a world of rituals, secret societies and sex scandals. Glenda Jackson and Christian Bale co-star in this Masterpiece Theatre potboiler, which novelist John Le Carré adapted from his best-selling book.
Cast: Denholm Elliott, Joss Ackland, Glenda Jackson

The foxcatcher ... Ugh ... Boring ... Too long ... About John Dupont and Olympic wrestling champion brothers. Save your time and money.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Witnesses is a French tv series. Desecrated graves and dead bodies dug up and left in immaculate show homes open an investigation for a young female detective and her new partner. Five stars.

Witnesses is a French tv series. Desecrated graves and dead bodies dug up and left in immaculate show homes open an investigation for a young female detective and her new partner. Five stars.

Unfortunately it's not dubbed.
I actually think it's a bug area of improvements for services like Netflix - add dubbing.

Not sure if this was mentioned before but "my Italian secret" is an excellent documentary about Jewish people returning to meet again the Italians families that saved their lives while risking their own during WWII.

Last edited:
I've been binge watching Nikita, Reckless and Transporter and enjoying those.

DW and I watched 12 Mile Road (2003 with Tom Selleck) the other night and enjoyed that.

Unfortunately it's not dubbed.
I actually think it's a bug area of improvements for services like Netflix - add dubbing.

Personally, I would much rather watch a subtitled movie than a dubbed one. Hearing the language and intonation puts the story in context for me.

agreed - have you ever watched the dubbed version of Das Boot? I'd rather hear them scream "alarm!" in german with a subtitle.

Back
Top Bottom