Netflix movie or show suggestion

AMC showed "The Tingler" for Halloween last night. I remember being scared bleepless by that as a young kid and hadn't seen it since. Watching it last night, I was amazed at how lame it was. You could almost see the strings pulling the inanimate rubber joke-shop toy across the floor.

Just saw San Andreas from a NetFlix DVD. A non stop disaster film with "incredible" earthquakes and "incredible" special effects. The word "incredible" also could be applied to the main actors arms (Dwayne Johnson) in this film. The "pair" of leading actresses in this film were also incredible, in their own way.

Worth a watch (sort of) but not a keeper.

Dallas Buyers Club was excellent, particularly the acting of Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto. The both lost a lot of weight for their roles. Of course they did get Oscars and other awards.

Saving Mr. Banks was also enjoyable. Emma Thompson played the very difficult to please PL Travers, the author of the Mary Poppins books. She was born in Australia and the flashbacks to her early childhood and her relationship with her father (Colin Farrell) revealed the origins of her novels. Tom Hanks played Walt Disney, who was determined to buy the rights to the film. Disneyland and the Disney toys all appeared in their 1961 livery.

Both movies are based on true stories but take some artistic license. I learnt that PL Travers was so opposed to the use of animation in Mary Poppins that when Disney included the animated penguins despite her wishes, she refused to let them film her other work. And the Jennifer Garner and Jared Leto characters in DBC never existed in real life.

This is on Hoopla, not Netflix but I figure a lot of people get the Hoopla service for free from their library like we do. "CaveDigger" is a 45 minute documentary about a 65 year old artist in northern New Mexico that digs incredible subterranean cathedral like spaces by hand. I really like movies and books about people who are real eccentric"characters" Often with quirky overriding passions or obsessions. That is this guy. In spades.

On the BBC I just finished watching the detective series, "River", set in London. Very good. I saw today that it is available on Netflix streaming.

On the BBC I just finished watching the detective series, "River", set in London. Very good. I saw today that it is available on Netflix streaming.

I just got an email from Netflix on that new addition. Thanks for the recommendation!

I will second Alan's recommendation. I watched the first episode. Enjoyed it.

Just saw San Andreas from a NetFlix DVD. A non stop disaster film with "incredible" earthquakes and "incredible" special effects. The word "incredible" also could be applied to the main actors arms (Dwayne Johnson) in this film. The "pair" of leading actresses in this film were also incredible, in their own way.

DH just brought that one home for us to watch. It gave me a headache and got me all stressed out.

Watched Alive last night. About the plane crash, I believe in 1972, of a Uruguay rugby team in the Andes. Amazing feat of survival.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm obsessed with Doc Martin and The Way. Doc Martin starts out slow and then captures you. The new series is due out Dec 8. I don't now when Netflix will get it, but I've requested the DVD at the library. I'm number 22 so it will take awhile to get it.
A movie that I liked is "The Physician." Has some meat to it.

I'm obsessed with Doc Martin and The Way. Doc Martin starts out slow and then captures you. The new series is due out Dec 8. I don't now when Netflix will get it, but I've requested the DVD at the library. I'm number 22 so it will take awhile to get it.
A movie that I liked is "The Physician." Has some meat to it.

Doc Martin is my all time favorite of any other TV series I have watched. The humor is great, and the characters are all very interesting, compelling and well cast. I can't imagine anyone not liking the series, but then I raved about it to my sister (who has very different tastes than I do) and she did not care for it.(she has no taste :D)

I also thoroughly enjoyed "Last Tango in Halifax". More great actors and terrific story line.

I'm enjoying Better Call Saul. Good characterization of flawed characters, with a little humor.

I've started watching The Man In The High Castle on Amazon Prime streaming. Based on a Philip K Dick novel, set in a distopian future of 1962 where Germany and Japan have won WW2. Excellent so far.

The Roosevelts. A documentary in 7 episodes by Ken Burns. Extremely detailed and very informative. I love a good documentary. And I find myself gravitating more to history than to any other subject.

I think I would enjoy the film you mention. We just watched World War Z via NetFlix streaming a couple of weeks ago. It is about zombies, but very quick reacting ones and the movie was quite action packed from one scene to another with some special effects, and we were quite entertained from the beginning to the end. It's like riding a good roller coaster at an amusement park. I knew nobody important was going to die (ie. Brad Pitt) but still, I think it is quite entertaining if you like action packed movies.

Last edited:
People, Places, Things - light comedy about a single guy and his 2 young daughters. A really sweet story starring New Zealand actor Jemaine Clement. Clement also starred in What We Do in the Shadows (DVD only) - by far the funniest movie I've seen in a long long time.

The Last Time You Had Fun - romantic comedy / drama about 2 couples and one long night of conversation, soul searching and self-disdovery. Nothing too original but I really enjoyed it

the best offer was good, as was the circle - I'm going to try and watch man in the high castle if I can break away from my PS4 this week...

I know the BBC Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch has been mentioned before, but we're still slowly going through the episodes. They are so crazy fantastic - we take them in small doses. Then we will probably have to watch them all over again.

I've started watching The Man In The High Castle on Amazon Prime streaming. Based on a Philip K Dick novel, set in a distopian future of 1962 where Germany and Japan have won WW2. Excellent so far.

Your last recommendation of River was so good (DH loved it) that we started in on Man in the High Castle yesterday via Amazon Prime. Weird, but good.

I think I need to be subscribed to your viewing history, lol, so I don't miss anything good! :D

Your last recommendation of River was so good (DH loved it) that we started in on Man in the High Castle yesterday via Amazon Prime. Weird, but good.

I think I need to be subscribed to your viewing history, lol, so I don't miss anything good! :D
I'll have to put those on my list. We just started Peaky Blinders and I watched and recommend Luther.

I'll have to put those on my list. We just started Peaky Blinders and I watched and recommend Luther.

Peaky Blinders is a really good one

I really enjoyed Peaky Blinders as well and I remember watching the 1st season or 2 of Luther but haven't seen any more. I'll need to start on that again, and will have to watch the ones I've already seen as I've forgotten them already.

Back
Top Bottom