Join Early Retirement Today

Netflix movie or show suggestion
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Netflix movie or show suggestion

Dropped Dish network and went to Netflix and Hulu and am much happier with that choice. Need to hunt for good things to watch rather than sitting passively.

Last night watched an Aussie indie flim called Kenny on Netflix streaming and higly recommend it - it's a mockumentary about a porta-john plumber, on the surface anyway. In reality it has more to do with what is ugly and distasteful and what is beautiful.

It's in Aussie and not subtitled, but that really doesn't matter - pretty universal communication in this film.

It's a good'un.

Your suggestions?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They're starting Netflix original programming soon, and there are a couple that look interesting.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think I mentioned it on the DVD thread, but check out the World's Fastest Indian, by a NZ film company. Really a great (and true) story.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I think I mentioned it on the DVD thread, but check out the World's Fastest Indian, by a NZ film company. Really a great (and true) story.
Have it in the queue, had seen bits in the past. Starring that young upstart actor Anthony Hopkins - hear he has a future in film.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

While not a movie the show Kidnapped with Timothy Hutton was one of the "had to see the next episode" series we have watched on Netflix
han24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
gone traveling

i just bought a Kindle and got amazon prime. amazing what you can stream from amazon
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Have it in the queue, had seen bits in the past. Starring that young upstart actor Anthony Hopkins - hear he has a future in film.
I have it in queue as well. Got a new HDTV being delivered from Amazon.com tomorrow so I will have to break it in with this movie. I haven't had Netflix long, but it's the cats meow.

I watched Hachi starring Richard Gere recently. It's a true story about a dog who waited for his deceased master at the train station for 9 years after his death. I'm an animal person so I liked it OK. Not your typical RG movie though.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

The things they are doing with TV's are amazing. My wife has failing eyesight and could no longer read the on-screen guide with our Verizon fios cable service. Only recourse was to get a larger TV which we purchased last Sunday at Sam's Club. A 70" Visio. Had it delivered and installed Wednesday and it's truly wonderful. My wife can read the guide AND this TV came with Netflix and Amazon built right into it. No extra boxes required. Changing from TV to Netflix or Amazon is as simple as pushing a button on the Visio remote. We already pay $8/month for Netflix but haven't checked out Amazon in detail. Looks like every thing is a rental.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Instantwatcher
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Instantwatcher

OP,

If you have Netflix instant check this out.

instantwatcher.com - Streaming Movies and TV to watch instantly on Netflix
detroitbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I wouldn't presume to suggest titles on netflix... I lean towards British detective stories and documentaries... of which there are enough for my lifetime.

Most who are using streaming media already know the ins and outs of the alternates to regular TV. Following are some things I didn't know, so FWIW, a few things I've found about using netflix and the other dozens of free movie websites.
I've had a Roku and Sony n200 as media players, and also use netflix (paid) and other free movie sites from my computers.

- With my netflix subscription, I can use it from any computer or media player (Roku etc)... as long as I sign in. Also... can do it simultaneously and watch three movies at the same time... on three different sources. (I don't do this, but tried it out to see how netflix worked).

- Network speed has not been a problem. Movies stream as low as 700 kbps, so my 4mbps connection theoretically can stream three different movies.

-All of the media players I've seen, use a virtual keyboard for searching... a pain for people like me who don't text. I use the computer to search for movies I want to watch. My Sony media player has a USB connection, so I can use a USB keyboard to type in searches, but this isn't satisfactory as it's not fully functional... (typing letters only).

- There are many non-netflix "free" TV sources... such as many of the MSM network shows, but not much that streams continuously... like the Today Show... or favorite series. Most are just "clips" similar to UTube. Free sources such as PBS or CSpan do show some full shows, but not all.

-Many of the "free" sources are specialized, such as tech shows, some sporting shows, and kids shows. Others have full length movies, but are interspersed with commercials, much the same way as regular TV.

-Using netflix is very convenient. You can queue show you want to watch, stop and start shows, and stop shows anywhere and pick them up at the same place days later. It's very simple to fast forward and reverse, and to see thumbnails along the way.

So, back to watching the second year episodes of "Damages"...
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Recently, watched Hugo and a Korean movie, the Good, the Bad, the Weird, which I enjoyed.

Also watching TV shows such as Warehouse 13 and Eureka, which I missed when they were on cable.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the show "lie to me" it was a short lived tv show about a deception expert.

NMF
NotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Enjoyed the movie.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We just watched "The Blind Side". Fabulous movie, a true story.

The next DVD to be delivered to my mailbox is "TED". I love the idea of a raunchy teddy bear character.

I have the basic 2 DVD per month subscription, sent to my mailbox, and am very happy with that setup. Mr B and I like to watch a movie here and there, and do not need the constant access you get with streaming.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Netflix gems =

Shower - Shower | Netflix
The Station Agent- The Station Agent | Netflix
Let the Right One In - Watch Let the Right One In Online | Netflix
Irreversible - Watch Irreversible Online | Netflix
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

A little dated, but favorites of several members http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ies-34640.html

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
They're starting Netflix original programming soon, and there are a couple that look interesting.
I've been watching House of Cards, an original program that Netflix out bid the major networks for. I've seen 3 of the 13 episodes they put out this month. A pretty interesting political drama. I give it a thumbs up.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've been watching House of Cards, an original program that Netflix out bid the major networks for. I've seen 3 of the 13 episodes they put out this month. A pretty interesting political drama. I give it a thumbs up.
I finished watching the whole thing on Sunday. It gets the thumbs up from me too.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I finished watching the whole thing on Sunday. It gets the thumbs up from me too.
+1
Also addicted to Doc Martin.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #20

Try "The Way" starring Martin Sheen
Or "Castaway on the Moon" a quirky Korean film
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote