Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #121
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
There are two Wallender series (detective/police) on Netflix. One is English, and one is Swedish with subtitles. I enjoyed both very much.

I very much enjoyed them also.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #122
Gone but not forgotten

I was blown away, watching this documentary... "China's Mega Dam".
Made me feel like I've been living in the dark ages re knowing about the rest of the world... And to think the movie was made in 2006.
Wiki on the dam: Three Gorges Dam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forced 1.3 Million people to move.
Who knew?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I think you can see if you've rated it, which would suggest that you've seen it. Otherwise it gives a "best guess" of if you'd like it.
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that before! They need to hit me over the head I guess.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #124
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We just watched Mud, the latest Matthew McConaughey movie. Admittedly, I rent his movies so I can see him without a shirt on, but DH seems to agree that they also have good plots.

This is a good movie! It is about these two Arkansas boys of 14, who find and befriend Mud, a fugitive living on a deserted island. There are good guys, bad guys, and life lessons for the boys and for their new friend.

And he took his shirt off.
We both enjoyed that film. DW also likes Matthew McConaughey, shirt on and off. I also agree shirtless stars are very good reasons to watch a movie.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We both enjoyed that fil,. DW also likes Matthew McConaughey, shirt on and off. I also agree shirtless stars are very good reasons to watch a movie.
I'm really happy that I've gotten some validation here.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If you like English detective mysteries then you may like the series Vera, set close to my neck of the woods, Northumberland coast, NE England. Each episode is about 90 minutes and is complete in itself, and features a homicide detective, Vera, and her team.
Just started watching Vera--it's great. Thanks for the recommendation, Alan.

Is there a better actress than Brenda Blethyn?

Also really enjoy Endeavour. Can't wait for next season.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #127
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Just started watching Vera--it's great. Thanks for the recommendation, Alan.

Is there a better actress than Brenda Blethyn?

Also really enjoy Endeavour. Can't wait for next season.
Pleased to hear that you liked it. Maybe if enough people watch it Netflix will put up some more episodes.

Ditto on Endeavour, I think they've done an excellent job in keeping the Morse detective stories going.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #128
Administrator

In the UK this year I watched n excellent series called The Fall, set in Northern Ireland starring Gillian Anderson as an inspector from the London Met on assignment to Belfast who gets involved investigating a serial killer.

I see that it is now available on Netflix. I think it consists of 6 parts and I'm going to watch it again, even though I saw it recently. (Having a lousy memory increases the amount of programs I want to watch enormously)
Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

oh yeah, The Fall was fantastic. I'll watch it again in a few months.

And I just checked--Amazon Prime has season 2 of Vera for free. Like you mentioned, Netflix only has season 1.

I love that Amazon and Netflix are in competition for streaming video content. Good news for us consumers!
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

For British detective show fans, Netflix now has some of the Inspector Morse series. The combination of Netflix and Amazon is nice...Amazon has all of the Inspector Lewis series, a worthy follow-on to Inspector Morse.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #131
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
For British detective show fans, Netflix now has some of the Inspector Morse series. The combination of Netflix and Amazon is nice...Amazon has all of the Inspector Lewis series, a worthy follow-on to Inspector Morse.

Great to hear that Amazon and Netflix are in competition like this. Just looked for Inspector Lewis on Netflix and it only has series 4 and 5.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of British TV series, if you liked House of Cards (the US version) go to Netflix and check out the original BBC House of Cards from 1990, on which the US production is based. Personally I prefer the BBC series, which is faster moving and more witty. Obviously YMMV.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Speaking of British TV series, if you liked House of Cards (the US version) go to Netflix and check out the original BBC House of Cards from 1990, on which the US production is based. Personally I prefer the BBC series, which is faster moving and more witty. Obviously YMMV.
That's a big plus one.

I'm in the middle of watching the British version now. Diabolical!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #134
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
That's a big plus one.

I'm in the middle of watching the British version now. Diabolical!
Some might say that, I couldn't possibly comment

Not available on streaming but looks like it will be available on Netflix DVD is the sequel to House of Cards, "To Play The King". Francis Urquhart returns, and Michael Kitchen (Inspector Foyle) plays the newly crowned King of England. (He does a great Prince Charles impression)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Some might say that, I couldn't possibly comment

Not available on streaming but looks like it will be available on Netflix DVD is the sequel to House of Cards, "To Play The King". Francis Urquhart returns, and Michael Kitchen (Inspector Foyle) plays the newly crowned King of England. (He does a great Prince Charles impression)
I completely agree. "To Play the King" was excellent and Michael Kitchen was uncanny as a Prince Charles type character. The third series, "The Final Cut" is also excellent. I saw all three of them on the BBC iPlayer, before I had Netflix.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you liked this and the acting of Ian Richardson, you might like the BBC version from 1980 "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" a 3 disc series. Really great acting with Alec Guinness in the lead roll.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
If you liked this and the acting of Ian Richardson, you might like the BBC version from 1980 "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" a 3 disc series. Really great acting with Alec Guinness in the lead roll.
Thanks for the recommendation. I remember watching some of this on TV when it first came out in 1979, and at that time it didn't spark my interest. Of course that was 34 years and one career ago......

Meanwhile I am into Breaking Bad. I rarely watch crime drama and never thought I could get into a gritty drama about drugs, but this is awesome. It's like a big Shakespearian tragedy with major shocks, a feeling of inevitability and some lighthearted moments. Aaron Paul is so authentic as Jesse Pinkman that I hope it does not reflect his personal life experiences.

There is some awesome entertainment out there for sure, and it's wonderful that it's now so accessible!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank goodness for BBC. With the exception of a few good shows, the British have it all over US TV shows. All my favorite actors are British (except for Kevin Spacy)

I don't recall if it has been mentioned, but I love LOUIE, with Lewis C.K.
He writes, directs, produces, acts and edits the show. I love the episode that involved the problem of parents being able to buy that year's hot toy at Christmas for their kid, when the stores run out. He does a bit involving this doll he bought and messed up that had my sides hurting from laughing so hard. Netflix has it for streaming. I think it was the next to last episode.

On another note, anyone sensitive to comic sexual talking points, might want to avoid.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #139
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just watched another documentary on Netflix streaming last night called
Client #9. It is about the rise and fall of Elliot Spitzer. It is long - about 2 hours, but found the political message quite interesting. Makes you shudder at the power behind big business and even our government sometimes.

My interest in the film was not so much his messing around with hookers, but the other factors that came in place when he went after the big guys on Wall Street and AIG. (a good thing) Also his confrontational manner in dealing with advisories (a bad thing). Always leaves me thinking though. Was his aggressiveness to bring the bad guys down truly altruistic, or to make a name for himself and further his career? I would like to think that it was the former, but I suspect it was a combination of both. If any lessons were to be learned by him in the end, it was that you really can't fight money today, and come out on top. So to me, the film left me a little sad and disheartened. I still would like to believe in David and Goliath. Anyone see it?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is an 'anti-suggestion':

"Attack on Wall Street." New movie, 2013, with a lame plot about evils of Wall Street and Capitalism. Don't bother. I seriously overpaid, and it was free.
Malcolm2 is offline   Reply With Quote