Netflix movie or show suggestion

Sarah - if you liked Long Way Round, make sure to also watch Long Way Down. Same 2 guys on motorcycles but different trip. If anything, I think it was even better (and Long Way Round was fantastic!)

Last edited:
Have no fear Major, I watched that one as well, plus all of the other Charley Boorman documentaries I could find. Out of the two, I actually "like" Boorman better, that's why it was so funny to me to actually see Ewan MacGregor in a regular acting role, since I only know him through the bike features.

Our trip to Mongolia from England was through many of the same areas they traveled, so it was super interesting to see it onscreen before seeing it in person. They did not under-report the dismalness of the Kazakhstan roads, that's for sure!

I enjoyed Station Agent (both on DVD and streaming). Not a movie likely to upset anyone.

8 seasons of House just added to Netflix streaming. Only caught a couple episodes when I still had TV. So looking forward to watching from beginning to end on my little laptop.

Today I watched Sesame Street on Netflix with my grandson. It's nice they have so many children's videos for us grandmas to call up on demand! ;)

Out of the two, I actually "like" Boorman better, that's why it was so funny to me to actually see Ewan MacGregor in a regular acting role, since I only know him through the bike features.
If I was pressed to pick one of them, I'd probably pick Charley too. He's such a good sport with a great sense of humor - the perfect travel partner. What I really liked about the two series though, was how they highlighted the friendship between the two. They went through all these experiences together and some great challenges, yet no matter how tough things got, they always had time to crack each other up laughing over a silly schoolboy joke. I mean, I'm sorry, but farts are funny. Fabulous stuff!

I'd love for them to make at least one more, but I think it was Ewan that said the trips take him away from family for too long. I would LOVE one more long motorcycle trip from these guys.

Tom, I got super annoyed when they started dragging their wives along, even for short bits, and how they got to moaning about how much they missed them. Blah, blah, blah.
Suck it up boys!!

Me too Sarah! It was nothing against their wives at all, but it really upset the dynamic of the whole thing. IIRC, Ewan seemed to be bending over backwards to cater to his wife, teach her how to ride a motorycle etc. To be honest, I'd probably do the same thing, but I didn't want to see their soft lovey-dovey sides. Boring!

I enjoyed Station Agent (both on DVD and streaming). Not a movie likely to upset anyone.

One of my most favorite movies. Love the lead actor. Actually all three actors in it were superb. Best way to describe it is to say it is a movie about friendship. Very touching and funny.

Netflix movie suggestion

I just watched "Blue is the warmest color". It is a controversial movie for adults only, but with 5-star acting.

Last edited:
I never watched a single episode of "The Office" during the entire 9 seasons it was on TV. That's a good thing, because now I'm watching it on Netflix, minus commercials. Only problem is I/we are now addicted! Yesterday (Sunday) my wife & I probably watched 15-20 episodes. Total couch potatoes! Tonight after work, we watched another 5 episodes. We're now up to season 6......

I never watched a single episode of "The Office" during the entire 9 seasons it was on TV. That's a good thing, because now I'm watching it on Netflix, minus commercials. Only problem is I/we are now addicted! Yesterday (Sunday) my wife & I probably watched 15-20 episodes. Total couch potatoes! Tonight after work, we watched another 5 episodes. We're now up to season 6......

I love The Office! I'm rewatching it... currently on Season 5.

I love The Office! I'm rewatching it... currently on Season 5.

I watch very few TV shows, most of them just seem so poorly done, I have no interest. But The Office really got me, love it!

I guess I get into analytical mode as to why I like something or not, and I'm fascinated by how The Office maintains a delicate balance between these characters being outrageous and funny, but still being human and somewhat believable. If the boss was always the bad guy, that would be boring, but they occasionally have his sensitive side come through. I don't think I could do that if I attempted to write a show like that. I'm impressed.

-ERD50

I watch very few TV shows, most of them just seem so poorly done, I have no interest. But The Office really got me, love it!

-ERD50

I can't watch it b/c it's too close to home ... :(. I work for a huge megacorp and there are people I recognize in The Office.

-Dilbert

I can't watch it b/c it's too close to home ... :(. I work for a huge megacorp and there are people I recognize in The Office.

-Dilbert

Scranton? Home of our V.P?
MRG

Just discovered "Last Tango in Halifax" on Netflix. Love that the British can center a series on older characters. Derek Jacobi is wonderful. I can certainly identify with the couple's adventures regarding online dating over 50. In their case, waaayyy over 50. :)

This is kinda interesting: Netflix has The Turning Point (ballet movie from 1977) on streaming but NOT on DVD's. First time I've seen that.

Great dancing in this one--much better than Black Swan if you like ballet. It's a joy to see Baryshnikov dance again. But you do have to put up with Shirley MacLaine. :nonono:

I remember when the movie came out--I was working on my PhD in psychology. Unlike the women in the movie, we didn't feel like we had to choose either a career or marriage/kids. It's easier to combine both lifestyles in a corporate career than in dance, I suppose.

Just watched the documentary "Mile - Mile & a Half" It's about a group of photographers and filmmakers who thru hike the John Muir Trail. Stunning cinematography. The JMT is definitely now on the bucket list.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Finished the first 13 seasons of Midsomer Murders... For me, the best in plots, in acting and in the incredible photography where every scene is a different countryside or English cottage/castle location. DW and I were saddened as we watched episode #81... in which Barnaby retires (I think)... There are three more seasons which have not been made available yet on NetFlix. Anxiously awaiting the introduction of the older Barnaby's replacement, DCI Barnaby. :dance:
For a complete listing... here:
Midsomer Murders - Episode Guide

In the meantime, as one of the most enjoyable benefits of age and memory loss, is that (in the meantime), we can start all over again with episode #1, and enjoy it as brand new. We'll supplement it with George Gentley, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Foyles War, and ... for the third time around :) with Helen Mirren (Jane Tennison) in Prime Suspect.

Solved the British accent problem, with closed captioning, though now have become rather expert at translating...

Hooray for British TV!!!!

Last edited:
Finished the first 13 seasons of Midsomer Murders... For me, the best in plots, in acting and in the incredible photography where every scene is a different countryside or English cottage/castle location. DW and I were saddened as we watched episode #81... in which Barnaby retires (I think)... There are three more seasons which have not been made available yet on NetFlix. Anxiously awaiting the introduction of the older Barnaby's replacement, DCI Barnaby. :dance:
For a complete listing... here:
Midsomer Murders - Episode Guide

In the meantime, as one of the most enjoyable benefits of age and memory loss, is that (in the meantime), we can start all over again with episode #1, and enjoy it as brand new. We'll supplement it with George Gentley, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Foyles War, and ... for the third time around :) with Helen Mirren (Jane Tennison) in Prime Suspect.

Solved the British accent problem, with closed captioning, though now have become rather expert at translating...

Hooray for British TV!!!!

I love all those shows as well, but then again, I'm biased. :)

Netflix has them more recent Midsommer Murders available on disk.

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

I just watched The Returned, which is a French series with subtitles. It was really good!

here I am with another suggestion for all you blues lovers out there:
Muscle Shoals

A documentary about the incredible music recorded in little ol' Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

I love the blues and have been a huge fan of the Allman Brothers since I was 18.

I like this documentary for the peek behind the album covers: the original studio musicians were all white country boys. Yet they played with so many wonderful black artists, and the sound was fantastic.

Even ol' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are very articulate about the experience recording there.

And is there a better soul song than Percy Sledge's "When a man loves a woman"? :)

Back
Top Bottom