Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #261
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
I watched "Twenty Feet from Stardom" the other night on Netflix. Its a documentary about backup singers. It won an Academy Award last year for Best Documentary I think.
I loved Twenty Feet from Stardom!
If you're into music-oriented documentaries, I highly recommend:
Muscle Shoals
Beware of Mr. Baker (about Ginger Baker)
The Punk Singer (Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, etc)

and not quite as good as the above, but still a good watch:
Ain't in It for My Health: Levon Helm
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #262
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I loved Twenty Feet from Stardom!
If you're into music-oriented documentaries, I highly recommend:
Muscle Shoals
Beware of Mr. Baker (about Ginger Baker)
The Punk Singer (Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, etc)

and not quite as good as the above, but still a good watch:
Ain't in It for My Health: Levon Helm

Thanks JoeDreaming. I will add them to my Netflix que. I love listening to music, playing music and now it turns out, watching documentaries about music.
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got an email from Netflix that the second season of Longmire is now available on streaming.

Season 2 is available on Amazon, but you have to pay for it (not on Prime yet).

Signing off now to watch Season 2 Episode 1.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Just got an email from Netflix that the second season of Longmire is now available on streaming.

Season 2 is available on Amazon, but you have to pay for it (not on Prime yet).

Signing off now to watch Season 2 Episode 1.
Season 3 begins June 2nd.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #265
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Dancer Upstairs
133 minutes

From the Wikipedia page:
The Dancer Upstairs*is a 2002*Spanish-American*crime*thriller film*directed by*John Malkovich*(in his*directorial debut) and starring Javier Bardem,*Juan Diego Botto*and*Laura Morante. The film is an adaptation of the*book of the same name*by*Nicholas Shakespeare, who also wrote the screenplay.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

We watched The Lone Ranger. Johnny Depp is good as Tonto in this modernized tale. It is fun and not to be taken seriously. Some nice chuckles:
Quote:
In this reboot of the 1950s television series, Native American warrior Tonto rescues wounded lawman John Reid and restores him to health, thus creating an often-contentious but effective partnership as they attempt to rid the Old West of corruption.
Downside is that it is very long, something like 2.5 hours. They should have cut out some action scenes but all those special affects seem to be hard for Hollywood to resist.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Blue is the Warmest Colour. Winner of the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. French, with subtitles. Rather long at 179 minutes, but very well acted. A coming of age story with lots of lesbian sex. Controversial and not for the religious right, for sure!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #268
Recycles dryer sheets

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me is available on streaming. Very good documentary on a great band that should have been much bigger than they were.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets

[I]Drinking Buddies[I] with Olivia Wilde is one that I didn't expect to be anything special but it was. Very naturalistic script and performances. Sounds like someone left a recorder running in the workplace.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's a little disconcerting in the same way the British version of Wallander is--to have British actors playing Swedish and Italian cops.
Both the Swedish and British versions of Wallender are on Netflix......at least, Series 2 of the Swedish version is. I watched the first episode last night and it was excellent. Multiple surprises and good character development.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #271

Quote:
Just discovered "Last Tango in Halifax" on Netflix. Love that the British can center a series on older characters. Derek Jacobi is wonderful. I can certainly identify with the couple's adventures regarding online dating over 50. In their case, waaayyy over 50.
We just finished series 1 of Last Tango on Netflix last night, and we were delighted to learn that series 2 debuts on PBS this Sunday night (6/29/14). What great timing!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #272
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
We just finished series 1 of Last Tango on Netflix last night, and we were delighted to learn that series 2 debuts on PBS this Sunday night (6/29/14). What great timing!
ohoh thanks for reminding me, GalaxyBoy! I don't have a TV but can watch the episodes the next day on pbs.org.

Endeavour season 2 also premieres this Sunday on Masterpiece.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
here I am with another suggestion for all you blues lovers out there:
Muscle Shoals

A documentary about the incredible music recorded in little ol' Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

I love the blues and have been a huge fan of the Allman Brothers since I was 18.

I like this documentary for the peek behind the album covers: the original studio musicians were all white country boys. Yet they played with so many wonderful black artists, and the sound was fantastic.

Even ol' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are very articulate about the experience recording there.

And is there a better soul song than Percy Sledge's "When a man loves a woman"?
I'll 3rd (or fourth? lost track) Muscle Shoals. Very good on many different levels. Good story and great music. It was also rather refreshing to see these southern boys working side by side with the black artists, and everyone treated each other as equals. After watching some of the civil rights documentaries recently, it's easy to forget that not everyone was a bigot.

Muscle Shoals - Rotten Tomatoes

Another good one (also mentioned earlier)

20 Feet From Stardom - Rotten Tomatoes
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Hannah Arendt (2012) tells the true story of a German-Jewish professor of philosophy/political theorist reporting on the Adolf Eichmann war crimes trial for the New Yorker. She was vilified for her analysis, in which she commented on "the banality of evil" and was critical of some of the actions of Jewish leaders during the Holocaust. Most of the dialogue is in German (with subtitles). Barbara Sukowa (who played Hildegard von Bingen in "Vision") is excellent in the title role, though she must have developed lung damage from chain smoking.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Enjoyed this low key comedy movie Enough Said.

Quote:
Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini star in this charming comedy about a divorced woman venturing into a relationship with a sweet man. But things get tricky when she discovers the man she's dating is the hated ex-husband of her new best friend.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #276
Recycles dryer sheets

Highly recommend "The Lunchbox", a 2013 movie from India. Only available on DVD from Netflix at this time, not on streaming yet.

Very sweet, funny, and an interesting look into everyday middle-class life in Mumbai. About two lonely people connecting with each other in a most unusual way. I don't want to give away any more details about the plot so that you can just let it wash over you.

It doesn't have a nice fairy tale tie-it-up-in-a-pretty-bow ending, but that's what is so realistic about it. It's ambiguous, we don't know what will happen--just like life!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #277

Quote:
Highly recommend "The Lunchbox", a 2013 movie from India. Only available on DVD from Netflix at this time, not on streaming yet.

Very sweet, funny, and an interesting look into everyday middle-class life in Mumbai. About two lonely people connecting with each other in a most unusual way. I don't want to give away any more details about the plot so that you can just let it wash over you.

It doesn't have a nice fairy tale tie-it-up-in-a-pretty-bow ending, but that's what is so realistic about it. It's ambiguous, we don't know what will happen--just like life!
Great movie, saw it in the theatre, would watch it again whenever it streams
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

I came upon a useful site which posts recent releases, and also titles which will expire soon.
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/be...tv-august-2014
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
250 Best IMDB on Netflix
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #279
Gone but not forgotten

250 Best IMDB on Netflix

I think this may have been discussed before, but I just re-discovered it, and spent some time going through the list in detail. Instead of looking at the "suggestions for you", now I'm going to this list for the 8 Star recommendations. I'm surprised to see how many of the most famous films I've never watched.

IMDb: The Best Films on Netflix (Top 250 listed first) - a list by Slizmo

Sets my TV watching agenda for the next 10 years.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Netflix movie suggestion
Old 08-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #280
Recycles dryer sheets

Netflix movie suggestion

I watched the documentary "The Imposter" last night. It was bizarre but definitely worth watching:

"Nicholas was 13 the day he disappeared (June 13, 1994). He would have been 16 and 8 months when he was reported found in Spain (October 7, 1997)... In 1994 a 13-year-old boy disappears without a trace from San Antonio, Texas. Three and a half years later he is found alive, thousands of miles away in a village in southern Spain with a story of kidnap and torture. His family is overjoyed to bring him home. But all is not quite as it seems. The boy bears many of the same distinguishing marks he always had, but why does he now have a strange accent? Why does he look so different? And why doesn't the family seem to notice these glaring inconsistencies? It's only when an investigator starts asking questions that this strange tale takes an even stranger turn."

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote