Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With five hours access to the PC, I wouldn’t trust the PC anymore. They may have accessed the BIOS firmware, granting themselves administrative access to the PC. Time for a new one.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I know CFPs are not popular on this site, but accusing the entire industry of being crooks without even a word on why this might be so is really over the top. I suppose you folks "heard it on the web, so it must be true".

BTW, I don't use or even know a CFP and I doubt I ever will use one other than at Vanguard. I am hoping they don't fall under the category of crooks.
I don't know about Rustward, but I do know that Robbie uses a CFP and is very satisfied, so I'm sure this was tongue-in-check. Doesn't everyone realize how easy sarcasm is to detect in posts? (that's sarcasm, btw)
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
So did this really happen, or is OP sending out scary Halloween stories?
I'd guess it did really happen, however what a great idea. October is actually national cybersecurity month, and relating falling for a malware attack but not being aware you were doing so would be a great way to drum up awareness inside of a corporate intranet. Or a public forum.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I'd guess it did really happen, however what a great idea. October is actually national cybersecurity month, and relating falling for a malware attack but not being aware you were doing so would be a great way to drum up awareness inside of a corporate intranet. Or a public forum.
Except the OP wasn't relating falling for this. Reread that first post. They were saying how lucky they were they got actual help, when it's pretty clear they were victimized. If anything, this was the worst possible message to send, that calling a number on a popup and giving your credit card and letting them access your computer all works out OK.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Except the OP wasn't relating falling for this. Reread that first post. They were saying how lucky they were they got actual help, when it's pretty clear they were victimized. If anything, this was the worst possible message to send, that calling a number on a popup and giving your credit card and letting them access your computer all works out OK.
What I was saying was it could be a good idea to tell a story where you describe an event taking place where normal people have to come to your aid and let you know that you were actually the victim of fraud. This has the potential to raise awareness for everyone.

You are correct that the story would have to not be something that could backfire (communicating it is OK to call the pop-up number), but somebody unwittingly relating falling for a malware attack, gaining empathy, causing discussion around the incident, etc. would go a lot further to raise awareness than just posting a warning about falling for phishing attempts.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I know CFPs are not popular on this site, but accusing the entire industry of being crooks without even a word on why this might be so is really over the top. I suppose you folks "heard it on the web, so it must be true".

BTW, I don't use or even know a CFP and I doubt I ever will use one other than at Vanguard. I am hoping they don't fall under the category of crooks.
In case you were not quick enough to pick up on it, my comment was sarcasm.

This group is just so easily spooked!

And I do use a CFP and have a 1.7% WR which will go way down when we start SS.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
So did this really happen, or is OP sending out scary Halloween stories?

I do know that someone from the gym did do as the OP did except to buy anything... she finally figured out that it was a scam... so not Halloween stories...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here sorry I am late getting back to you all. I took my laptop in first thing this morning to Geek Squad at Best Buy. They still have my laptop and I am using my old one for this. They didn't ask for a credit card they asked for check information. Their transaction hadn't gone through so I closed my checking account. I also changed password from my wife's phone. I am so glad I checked this thread last night at 6:30. The overwhelming responses that this was a scam
hit home and got me going to hopefully resolve. I admit I am not computer savvy and refer to myself as a technophobe, even though I worked in IT (managed a development group). I really appreciate everyone's quick responses and concern. That is why I came here. Will follow up when I get my laptop back. Thanks again for all the great feedback. I trust this group to provide the truth.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #69
Administrator

Idnar7, thanks for the update, and relieved to see the actions you took. If you haven't done so already, don't forget to do a credit freeze with all 3 agencies.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
OP here sorry I am late getting back to you all. I took my laptop in first thing this morning to Geek Squad at Best Buy. They still have my laptop and I am using my old one for this. They didn't ask for a credit card they asked for check information. Their transaction hadn't gone through so I closed my checking account. I also changed password from my wife's phone. I am so glad I checked this thread last night at 6:30. The overwhelming responses that this was a scam
hit home and got me going to hopefully resolve. I admit I am not computer savvy and refer to myself as a technophobe, even though I worked in IT (managed a development group). I really appreciate everyone's quick responses and concern. That is why I came here. Will follow up when I get my laptop back. Thanks again for all the great feedback. I trust this group to provide the truth.
I'm sorry you have to deal with this mess but hopefully your experience can help someone else to avoid the same fate.

If you had any access info to any accounts including retirement, stock accounts, bill pay or similar stored on that machine (or others in the same network) be sure to change up the access and set up alerts.

Hang in there.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #71

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully others will learn from your experience. It's so easy to let your guard down, and it only takes one time.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #72

OP, I suggest that if you have any financially-related online accounts that you check each item in your profile, especially contact information like address, email address, and phone numbers. Obviously, change your passwords, and perhaps go one step further and change your username if they will let you do that.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:20 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Thank you for sharing your story here.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Wow! OK first I heard of computer scammers trying to get bank routing information for access to a checking account on calling in. Glad you were able to close your checking account in time. Whew!

So glad you posted and got quick feedback.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #75

It's interesting that they didn't manage to drain the account immediately. Maybe it takes a while, or maybe they sell the account information to other crooks for future use.

This has really made me think about what I'd do if someone got access to a computer of ours. Think of all the possible vectors of attack! We take so many things for granted, like our e-mail accounts being used to verify account changes at banks and financial institutions. All someone needs is access to the account and knowledge of which institutions to go after.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It's interesting that they didn't manage to drain the account immediately. Maybe it takes a while, or maybe they sell the account information to other crooks for future use.

This has really made me think about what I'd do if someone got access to a computer of ours. Think of all the possible vectors of attack! We take so many things for granted, like our e-mail accounts being used to verify account changes at banks and financial institutions. All someone needs is access to the account and knowledge of which institutions to go after.
When possible, I have important emails set up with 2FA.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Does OP also need to have their router 'cleaned'?

I'd be concerned that the bad guys have info on the router, and could have installed some malware there (wasn't there a big notice about vulnerable routers a while back?). Or just knowing the model, they could try the default passwords.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow! OK first I heard of computer scammers trying to get bank routing information for access to a checking account on calling in. Glad you were able to close your checking account in time. Whew!

So glad you posted and got quick feedback.
If the scammers are overseas, it would have to be an international wire transfer.

I would think that would be harder to pull off than an ACH transfer.

And way harder than a fake credit card charge, though I guess they’d need a merchant account.

Thing about scams which exploit people who aren’t technically aware is that it’s harder to demand crypto coin payments.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #79

They buy gift cards from online retailers then sell them to places online that pay about 90% of face value. It is difficult to track, and usually in amounts that the parties involved consider too small to worry about. This is done completely online and takes just a few short minutes.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

OP you are helping so many people by sharing this here—we will all be a bit more careful and less trusting of potential scammers thanks to your reminder of how easily this can happen and the responses are valuable too. So glad you are getting the possible harmful fallout addressed.