Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Network Hacked
Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 396
Network Hacked

Yesterday we were having all sorts of computer issues. Our ISP said we likely had a virus. I ran ScanGuard, Norton, and McAfee. All seemed fine for a while. Then we had an error message from Microsoft and couldn't get into the net at all. They had a support number to call. The support person sounded offshore (India) but seemed helpful. At one point I asked if it was a scam. He replied "no sir, I assure you not". They were logged into my computer and showed me some screen that showed 29 users had been accessing my account since 2017. He said they could fix it for $269 based on the number of intruders. He then said I could get extra protection for another $400. I balked at that and said just fix it for the lower cost. I was completely skeptical. I could watch what they were doing on my screen and they spent five hours cleaning it up. They also put some new tools on my pc. They gave me a phone number to call if I had any problems. I can contact them every month for the next year for a free checkup. Today I can say I am very happy with what they did. My laptop is running like brand new and no annoying popups. I feel very lucky we seemed to find a legitimate service. They even called this morning to make sure it was working correctly.


It juat made me think how dependant we all are on our computers and internet. We do all our banking, most purchases, and investments that way. And with the "go green" movement we do not receive paper statements anymore. Just try and imagine what life would be like without internet and computers. It just seems like a huge vulnerability when even our government can't protect against hacks.


Anyone had a similar issue?
__________________

Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 42,547
Sadly, I am pretty sure that was a scam. Maybe you can cancel the payment on your credit card.

I don't recall ever having any problems that Norton, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, avoiding buggy websites, and a hard re-boot couldn't handle. Malwarebytes has often found malware that Norton didn't but I still pay for Norton.
__________________

__________________
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
- - - J. A. Shedd, 1928
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Earl E Retyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 326
I agree it was likely a scam. This happened to my FIL as well. Here is a link describing one of the scams similar to your siutation.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-37c867bd097c

"The popup with the telephone number you are seeing is the malware/adware issue on your computer. It's a new wrinkle on the cold call scams and the fake antimalware programs that were previously being installed on computers that we have heard about for years. Now the scammers are trying to get you to call them...."
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,259
I would bet a dollar the OP is now compromised.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I would bet a dollar the OP is now compromised.
Yes, “they also put some new tools on my PC.” How nice.

OP, call and report the charge to your CC as fraudulent. They CC companies have seen this before.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OldShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: City
Posts: 3,328
OP, I would take that PC to someone with the expertise to clean it up. There is no telling what the scammers installed. Botnet, future ransomeware, ... It could be really ugly. If the PC were mine I would probably wipe it completely and reinstall everything beginning with the operating system. Or, depending on value, junk it and buy a new one.

If you have the capability, block their phone numbers. The kind of help they are offering is help you don't need.

Yes, cancel the CC but that money is the least of your potential problems.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 412
Yes, you have been scammed. That is a well known ploy. The error message from Microsoft was a bit of malware put on a compromised web page that made it look like it was coming from Microsoft. You are not only out the money but they installed something on your computer that could steal other info like passwords. I would not use your computer for any banking or other personal stuff until you have cleaned it out.

I recommend installing Microsoft's Security Essentials. It is free and is reliable. It will scan your computer and remove viruses.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado
Morgan22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25
“they also put some new tools on my PC.”

They probably loaded Malware onto your PC. This is an old time scam.
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 198
You not only got scammed (I'm sorry), but you gave them access to everything on your computer. You need to disconnect your machine from the internet, format and re-install windows which I'm betting you don't know how to do. Seek out a legitimate local business to assist you. I would start by changing all banking passwords and for the love of everything holy, don't do that from your now compromised computer.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 21,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
You not only got scammed (I'm sorry), but you gave them access to everything on your computer. You need to disconnect your machine from the internet, format and re-install windows which I'm betting you don't know how to do. Seek out a legitimate local business to assist you. I would start by changing all banking passwords and for the love of everything holy, don't do that from your now compromised computer.
+1 and Holy cow! What OP did is very dangerous, worst thing is OP seems to think this is all legit.

OP - shut that computer down. Shut your network down. I wouldn't even want to start up again with the same router, unless I could be 100% sure it was clean (latest firmware re-installed), and not put on the network until all access passwords were changed to strong passwords.

Get some help, this is very bad.

If I'm scaring you, good. You need to take action.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 21,585
Quote:
At one point I asked if it was a scam. He replied "no sir, I assure you not"
And what answer would you expect from a scammer? "You got me! Have a nice day"?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
MRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan22 View Post
“they also put some new tools on my PC.”

They probably loaded Malware onto your PC. This is an old time scam.
+1

When your reporting tools like Norton don't report errors it's because they are compromised. First thing you do when you invade someone's property is to shut down any way to report on your actions. For computers that is disabling the programs that do that and replacing them with program that report fake news to all that listen. Then someone offers to help you with the problem.

Sorry, this type of scam is very old, with new actors. I'm sorry you were taken. If you don't know how to restore your machine please take it somewhere reputable.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 21,585
OP is still on line
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Yesterday we were having all sorts of computer issues. Our ISP said we likely had a virus. I ran ScanGuard, Norton, and McAfee. All seemed fine for a while. Then we had an error message from Microsoft and couldn't get into the net at all. They had a support number to call. The support person sounded offshore (India) but seemed helpful. At one point I asked if it was a scam. He replied "no sir, I assure you not". They were logged into my computer and showed me some screen that showed 29 users had been accessing my account since 2017. He said they could fix it for $269 based on the number of intruders. He then said I could get extra protection for another $400. I balked at that and said just fix it for the lower cost. I was completely skeptical. I could watch what they were doing on my screen and they spent five hours cleaning it up. They also put some new tools on my pc. They gave me a phone number to call if I had any problems. I can contact them every month for the next year for a free checkup. Today I can say I am very happy with what they did. My laptop is running like brand new and no annoying popups. I feel very lucky we seemed to find a legitimate service. They even called this morning to make sure it was working correctly.


It juat made me think how dependant we all are on our computers and internet. We do all our banking, most purchases, and investments that way. And with the "go green" movement we do not receive paper statements anymore. Just try and imagine what life would be like without internet and computers. It just seems like a huge vulnerability when even our government can't protect against hacks.


Anyone had a similar issue?
I'm curious why you thought this was a good idea and are you sure you aren't pulling our legs. Don't EVER use a support number that just pops up on your computer screen. Unfortunately you weren't skeptical enough.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,294
Someone from the gym did the same, but was smart enough to not pay for anything...


STILL, she allowed them into her computer to do who knows what...


WARNING>>>> Never call a number that pops up on your screen...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rianne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Champaign
Posts: 1,952
This happened to a very good friend of mine. She also fell for the Microsoft phone number and the helper she was connected to. Her CC were compromised as well as her checking account. I think after she thought everything was "fixed" she did her banking. This was awful. The bank did reimburse the funds (@$2000) and CC did not charge for fraudulent charges. She had to change her CC #'s, checking and savings acct. #'s, all her passwords. She's elderly with a slight dementia and told me about this. It took several weeks to sort out.
__________________
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,452
Even on my own PC I use the two stage log-in with rotating challenge questions to log into my bank account.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rustward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,673
You were probably the victim of a CFP's side hustle. Those people are crooks.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,438
These scammers called me. "Windows Support", haha. I run Linux. Jerks.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
These scammers called me. "Windows Support", haha. I run Linux. Jerks.

Someone left a message today on my cellphone asking me to call Apple support due to a potential hacking of my I phone. We are Android users.......
__________________

Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Out of Network Bill at an In Network Hospital daylatedollarshort Health and Early Retirement 17 04-23-2014 01:36 PM
Hacked bank server hosts phishing sites -Heads Up for Chase and Ebay poboy FIRE and Money 6 03-14-2006 05:22 PM
OS X hacked in under 30 minutes cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 8 03-06-2006 08:35 PM
ARGH! Hacked twice in a month. BigMoneyJim Other topics 23 03-05-2006 10:34 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.