Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Network Security Question
Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Network Security Question

Quick question: I've upgraded a computer on our wireless network, and will now be able to use a more modern security scheme for the Netgear router.

I can't remember how to get to the dialog that allows me to change the scheme. I'm sure I could find the answer with a lot of googling and trial and error, but I know I can get a quick answer here.

Thanks!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I am unsure of what your question involves (so my answer will probably be way off base) but probably has something to do with the "Setup" procedure of the Router. To access this function in my Linksys Router, I put 192.168.1.1 in the "Address" in Internet Explorer. My Actiontec DSL Router's address is 192.168.0.1. You could try either of these two addresses, look in the Netgear Manual, or use something like NetInfo (NetInfo - Overview) to find the address of everything on your LAN. (There are, of course, other similar products available. It is just that I am familiar with NetInfo.)

Again, if I am way off base... well, just ignore my babbling.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

TAL - RonBoyd is correct. Most routers will have a 192.x.x.x address. You can figure yours out by checking your PC's address. Run cmd.exe to bring up a terminal window and then type "ipconfig." That will show you your address. If it is 192.168.0.x then 192.168.0.1 is probably the routers address; if 192.168.1.x then the router is probably 192.168.1.1. If you never added a router admin password then you use the default. Try username: admin, password: password. If that doesn't workgoogle "Netgear model# default password" or go to Netgears site.

Edit: here is a list if admin,password isn't the combo: Default Password List
Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I got it through routerlogin.net.

Next question:

I changed the security protocol from WEP to WPA2, and "blip" I was out of business. 45 minutes later, after connecting an old-fashioned network cable and jumping through hoops, I was able to get it back to WEP.

Can I assume that my network card on the laptop cannot handle WPA? When I choose to Connect, there's an hourglass cursor for a second, nothing else happens, and I am not connected.

Thanks,
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Al,

To be honest, I fought the Network Dragon for many years without success (of any kind). Eventually, I came to the conclusion that my brain would never be able to comprehend this mysterious technological wonder. So I subscribed(?) to Network Magic and all the problems in my life disappeared.

Network Magic - Set up and Manage Your Home Network with One Easy Application

I now have five computers on my home-network -- two of them wireless -- communicating amongst themselves without any thought from me.

YMMV
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The card may or may not support WPA, but even if it does, you have to configure it, just like you did for WEP. It can't just work without configuring the card, otherwise you wouldn't have the security you are trying to get with WPA or WEP in the first place! And when you find how to configure that card, you'll either see a WPA option or not.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it gets to the point where you want to pound your head against a wall, go find a Netgear forum. I use Linksys and when I tried to add an extender on to my network, and switch from WEP, incredibly frustrating doesn't begin to describe how it went. My nerd, comp-sci-major son got involved and after two days he wanted to just smash everything. He found fixes on a Linksys user forum but we never got it to work exactly right and eventually went back to WEP (and the switch back was a pain in itself). The forums did help a lot because they gave information that we never saw in the manuals or on Linksys's site.

I was thinking about trying Netgear whenever I do need some frustration in my life and do some upgrading around here.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a trial version of Network Magic when I bought a new Trendnet router ( and a laptop, phones, tv's etc. Lightning can do wonders for enabling equipment upgrades!).
It really makes all the network stuff quite painless.
Securitywise, I have the router set to not broadcast it's name (SSID) Changed the name to something less obvious than Trendnet. (harder to hack - they would need to guess the name) I use WPA also, since it's supposed to be better encryption than WEP.

Network Magic has a free version, if you have XP or Vista on all your computers:
Network Magic – Network Software for Easy Windows Networking - Share Printers, Share Files and More
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

By the way, if you get yourself stuck again, there is usually a reset button (the kind you stick a pin in) to reset the router to factory settings--no security. Sometimes it's easier to start over than it is to undo and fix, plus you wouldn't have had to find the cable (though usually that's a better way to set up security just for the reason you saw, that you can cut yourself out easily).
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Link Sys came up with a very good automated setup program that walks you through the setup and security process. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, it will only work with their wireless model identified as WRT600N, which, by the way, is a very good router. It is a "n" router but is backwards compatible with b and g protocols. It has a few other goodies that can be seen at their web site (Welcome to Linksys.com).