Join Early Retirement Today

Networking Question
Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Networking Question

Reformatted and reinstalled Windows on DW's laptop to clean up system and improve performance.

The computer sees the wireless network (never asked for password, though I'm sure I had security set up -- I'll deal with that later), and connects fine.

However, the shared folders on my computer are not visible in her network places, and "View Workgroup computers" only shows her own computer. Her computer also cannot connect to the Internet.

So far all troubleshooting wizards have been useless.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If you cannot connect to the internet its probably not connecting to the wireless network properly. Fix your "didn't ask for password" issue and all other issues will be resolved.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Reformatted and reinstalled Windows on DW's laptop to clean up system and improve performance.

The computer sees the wireless network (never asked for password, though I'm sure I had security set up -- I'll deal with that later), and connects fine.

However, the shared folders on my computer are not visible in her network places, and "View Workgroup computers" only shows her own computer. Her computer also cannot connect to the Internet.

So far all troubleshooting wizards have been useless.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Make sure the workgroup names are the same, could be that when you reinstalled you lost the name. The default is MSHOME, but you might have a different name on your computer. If all else fails, check your firewall. I had the hardest time, and found out I had two firewalls on, the windows firewall, and a PC-CILLIN virus plus firewall protection. I turned off the PC-CILLIN firewall and left my windows firewall on, and it worked fine. Since I have a router, that's also a physical firewall.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks CybrMike. You were correct. In redoing everything, I noticed that there was a place for the WEP password. However, first time through I hadn't seen that, and instead of telling me "Hey, you didn't supply a password, so you aren't connected" it just acted as if everything was OK.

I'm up and running now, but I need a drink.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Could the laptop be picking up a neighbor's wireless signal instead of yours?

Never mind, I see it's been fixed while I was typing my response.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was hoping that a nice clean system would (1) improve performance, and (2) allow Standby to work. After 6-8 hours of fighting the system, installing first the XP that came with the machine, then upgrading to the latest XP, neither of those things were achieved.

Too bad.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

What make/model is this and whats the performance issue observed?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's a Dell Inspiron 2500. No specific performance issues, but it's pretty slow sometimes.

I determined that the problem with recovering from standby is caused by the PCMCIA Netgear WG511 network card. So if after coming back from standby, I remove and reinsert that card, things work OK.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Oh well yeah, theres your problem right there. Thats an old timer.

Some extra memory might pep things up a bit but just about anything off the dell outlet would run rings around it.

Check for newer drivers for the wg511. The standby issues might have been resolved by something more recent.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote