Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Once after I got divorced I went through the New Jersey inspection and I failed not only did I fail but the inspector yelled at me so I had my red sticker (failure ) on my windshield for almost a year ( It actually had turned to pink and fell off ) when I was pulled over the policeman could not believe the sticker was so old and I started crying so he let me go as long as I promised to get the car reinspected . I did and it failed again but this time I took it to an independent station where for a bribe it suddenly passes .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I am probably going to regret posting this, but I have never been pulled over by the police. I have only been driving for 20 years, so I still have plenty of time to get busted.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am probably going to regret posting this, but I have never been pulled over by the police. I have only been driving for 20 years, so I still have plenty of time to get busted.
I think that is outstanding!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

So you don't know the thrill of seeing those red lights in your mirror huh? I tell you that is one big adrenaline rush when those lights flash there.

Here is hoping you never do know that rush! I agree that is outstanding that you have never been pulled over in 20 years.
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

That's great !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey Ed, I have another Seattle tidbit for you. Cops are walking a beat centered on 3rd and Pine. Two young tough looking cops in reflector sunglasses marching side by side. I have been wondering if they might start, and I am quite glad to see it.
Good. Now if they actually do something instead of standing there watching when someone gets mugged/killed.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
So you don't know the thrill of seeing those red lights in your mirror huh? I tell you that is one big adrenaline rush when those lights flash there.

Here is hoping you never do know that rush! I agree that is outstanding that you have never been pulled over in 20 years.
When I am going a few miles over the speed limit (which I often do) and suddenly come across a cruiser neatly hidden behind a curve, a bridge or the tree line, I do get some good adrenaline rushes!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been driving for almost 35 years with about 300K miles under the belt. No accidents. No tickets of any kind (i.e., no moving violations or parking tickets). I've never been pulled over for a traffic issue.

I was pulled over once by the border patrol but that was because they thought I was smuggling people or contraband across the border. I was in graduate school and was collecting high precision GPS measurements at a survey monument a few meters from the border in Calexico, CA. I was driving an enclosed pickup truck and it was 2:00 AM. I was stopped by the local police a few years ago. The officer thought I had a piece of metal sticking out of the bumper of my car but it was just a piece of plastic paper.

So I've never been stopped for cause. Interestingly enough, the only time I've ever shown my drivers license to a police officer was last night when I went through a sobriety checkpoint / drivers license check.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I also have never been pulled over.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Awwww...I'm proud of you too! Here's a flower...
Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #32
gone traveling

In my 46 years of driving, I've been stopped thrice. Once at the age of 16, speeding while "dong the loop" in my local town. A ticket, some points, and quickly forgotten.

Next time was in Phila, when I was entering I-76 (an interstate) which had a 55 mph zone while in the city, and 65 mph zone when outside the city limits. What was I going? (clue: same as the route number). Some more points and a 3-months driver's suspension. My DW was really "pis***" since she had to drive me to/from work for three months (and I worked the 3-11pm shift ...)

Last time was a few years ago. DW/me were driving in the Grand Tetons (you know what that term means, don't you?) after dark in a rental car. The headlights were kind of dim, but I didn't think much of it. I thought they would come on as normal, as my wife's Impala (the rental was a Subaru). Well guess what, they didn't. They were still on the "daylight mode" when the park police stopped me and cited me for being a "dumb old codger" (well, that's what I interpreted it as). No fine, but he did say "look out for the moose" on the road (no comment )...

These days, I drive less (some may be thankful)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
That is very interesting Ha, considering you don't have a car. Walking too fast in Seattle, eh, Mr. Natural?

When I was first at the U of W, there was a kid who got a speeding ticket on his ten-speed. Going down one of Seattle's hills.
My husband was ticketed for speeding on a three-speed in Eugene while attending the U of Oregon. He is 71 yo now and still gloats about that!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was doing 70 MPH in a 35 in my brand new '73 VW super beetle. A local cop pulled me over and asked why the Hell I was going so fast. I truthfully answered that if I didn't make it home to my parent's house by 5:30 pm exactly I would miss dinner as my father had a rule about that with no exceptions. I failed to notice that the cop was really fat. He explained that I had a mighty good reason for speeding but then gave me a lecture on how many young teens he had scraped up off the pavement. He let me go without a ticket! I have slowed down since then.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
.... So is there one lucky soul out there who has never had that heart racing excitement of seeing those flashing lights in your mirror? I mean you haven't lived until then right?
Not me.... I've been pulled over 3 times and each one was weird and wrong and still makes me snarl a little....

1. Pulled over in rural NC in the 70's, driving a beetle with a bumpersticker that said "question authority". The Sheriff who pulled me over said "You had a question for me missy? I am the authority". No ticket.

2. Pulled over at 1 am in WV (80's) driving a u-haul truck (towing afore mentioned VW). The officer who pulled me over asked if I was lost. I was not but when I rolled my window down the smell of bourbon soaked fruitcake wafted out (fully wrapped, homemade, soaked for a long time, not yet eaten, sitting near heater vent in truck) and I had to get out and take a sobriety test. I had not been drinking or eating the cake, or weaving or speeding or anything else, but I guess that dang bumper sticker just attracts trouble. No ticket.

3. Pulled over recently in WA for seatbelt violation (which I was wearing). My passenger was a local judge (also wearing seatbelt). The state patrol officer wrote a citation and I spent an entire day sitting in traffic court waiting for hearing. My friend the local judge popped over when my number came up to stand as witness. Case dismissed and officer apologized to judge (passenger) but not to me. On the way home I stopped at local book shop and bought a new Question Authority bumpersticker. They still make them after all these years and I guess there's still a need.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Wow! I guess your past experience with cops would have shaped your opinion accordingly.

In my case, I have been stopped about 6 or 7 times in my life. All but one time have been my faults, such as speeding, not making a complete stop at a stop sign, etc... By not acting belligerently, I was twice let off with a mere warning. Perhaps I have been fortunate to not run into a bad cop, but all the ones I encountered were acting professionally.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
On the way home I stopped at local book shop and bought a new Question Authority bumpersticker. They still make them after all these years and I guess there's still a need.
Great story, Janet.

My DD probably deserves the booby prize in this thread, for spoiling her "never been pulled over" record in the quickest time. Just after turning 16, she got her driver license one day after school.

She was pulled over just after sundown that same day by a small town cop, for a burned-out light over the rear license plate. No ticket, though.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow! I guess your past experience with cops would have shaped your opinion accordingly.
I just attribute this to some sort of karmic justice. There have been plenty of times that I should have been pulled over for speeding or having studs on past the appointed date or storing my new license tabs above my visor rather then actually ON the plate. I have good friends in law enforcement and am generally glad to have some regular visible police presence on the highways. There are bullies in every walk of life I guess.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #39

I ran a stop sign on a motorcycle when I was 17. At the time there were three options:

1. Plead guilty and pay a fine by mail.

2. Contest it in court.

3. Go to a "Driver remediation class", stay out of trouble for one year, and have it expunged. I took that option. What was especially galling to a 17-year-old was the letter DMV sent to my parents that made mention of the fact that "your child" received a ticket. Grrrr!

A perspective from the other side of the windshield:

Fresh out of the police academy for about two weeks, my training officer finally decided that I probably wouldn't kill us both if I drove. We get a call for a burglary in progress at a residence. Responding red lights & siren (shut of the siren when close to hopefully not scare off the bad guy) I come upon a 4-way stop sign with another cruiser about 10 feet off my rear bumper. Intending to not stop at the stop sign, but seeing the flashing red lights in the mirror, out of ingrained habit I almost stomped on the brakes then had to remind myself "Oh, wait. I am the police!"

Had I stopped at that stop sign I would have certainly been rear-ended and been the butt of jokes for years even though technically it would have been the rear-ender's fault.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I was pulled over once for speeding in a little Texas town on the way to the Interstate--although I was more than guilty with my out of town plates, too, the officer let me go when a call came in for him that a woman had just been thrown from a car. Several times I have been zipping down the Interstate, seen the flashing lights coming after me, and watched the police go right past me to the car in front of me.

DH says his speeding tickets are all my fault anyway.