Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never been pulled over for anything. As far as I know, DW has not either. This is in spite of speeding fairly regularly when it is a justifiable risk.

You have to have rules, you know. Like Dexter, I have a code I follow when driving and speeding. Don't be unsafe. If you are doing 90-100, pay close attention. If there is a pack of cars going 90 in the fast lane, you can do 80-85 and be relatively safe. Don't be the lead car in a pack of cars that are speeding. Don't speed more than 5 mph in school zones. On freeways, speed like hell if you can see you have a clear road (ie no overpasses, entrance ramps, broken down cars etc that cops can hide behind). If you are speeding and see a cop, slow down. I spend a lot of time while driving on a freeway and speeding watching for tell tale signs of cops or potential cops. Cars breaking a quarter mile in front of me, or objects behind which cops can hide. I don't own a radar detector, just use street smarts.

This post will probably cause me to get a speeding ticket on the way home.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
If you are speeding and see a cop, slow down.
The one speeding ticket I got over 20 years ago bears this out. I didn't even realize it, but I was doing 75 in a 55 zone (this was when 55 was the de facto federal speed limit) in the fast lane of a freeway with fairly light traffic. I eventually saw the CHP vehicle behind me with its lights on and I pulled over.

The officer told me that he was tracking me doing 75 for a full mile or more and that I was getting a ticket as much for not realizing that and slowing down -- IOW, not demonstrating situational awareness -- than for the speed itself. The implication was that if I had immediately slowed down when he appeared in my rear view mirror, he likely would have given me a pass.

In any event, he was "nice" enough to write that I was doing 70 on the ticket instead of 75, presumably because I was apologetic and cooperative and there were significantly enhanced penalties for speeding of 20+ over the limit.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...fast lane of a freeway with fairly light traffic.
I also travel mostly in the slower lanes when possible. And I try not to speed too much if the traffic is light (like late at night or Sunday mornings).
Old 03-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH says his speeding tickets are all my fault anyway.
Yes, I completely understand his logic. He is a wise man.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

My husband once got a speeding ticket as a result of his being the LAST car in a string of speeders. He asked him "why me?", the answer was that he was the easiest to catch.

One of Oregon's speeding ticket legends is that an officer ticketed a car traveling on I-84 on the plateau well east of The Dalles. The officer wrote that traffic was "heavy". The driver went to court and challenged the officer's claim. The judge, a local, stated that there is no such thing as heavy traffic on that straight flat rural section of the interstate - ticket dismissed.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Signs of Spring...in the past week, I have been "painted" three times.
Cruise control set at the speed limit minus 2 mph is a wonderful thing.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my youth (16 - 20) I lived on a farm in a very low density area. Our farm was typical, 1.5 sq miles. There were a few towns (pop. ~200) every 10 miles or so. We considered something wrong if a weekend went by and the mounties hadn't pulled us over to see if we had contraband (beer or whatever). Seldom a ticket but they had to show the youth they were around. Today, this would be profiling and a no-no. Once they stopped me at 2:00 PM while I had my 90 year old GM with me. Problem? I was going 63 in a 60 zone. No, no ticket.

I've had two interesting encounters.
  • I was driving a small British car (with many internal engine upgrades). Went through radar. Cop told me he got me at 103mph (60 limit). I told him my car wouldn't go that fast (out of the factory it wouldn't). I lucked out and hit a mountie who had owned one. After looking under the hood to see if I had a V8 option, he said "well you weren't doing the speed limit, slow down".
  • It was seeding time and Saturday night. Shut down the tractor about 10 PM and went for a cool one at the local watering hole. After 1 or 2, the local closed at midnight. A few of us, aged 20 - 30, left to go about 30 miles to an open restaurant. Bought some beer 'just in case'. After eating, just got out of the big town (about 1200), pulled over by RCMP (traffic and local bylaw offences). If there are any Corner Gas fans here, picture a very young Davis stopping us. 25 year old cop get driver's licence etc. Says "you're the young Willerton crowd", reply "we're the old ones". Cop looks at licence and says "ya, I guess so, been drinking?". Reply "not yet". Now the cop shines his flashlight in the car, spots the beer and says "you weren't planning to drink that here were you", response "no, we were going to get across the bridge first". At this point I'm thinking the cop is about to call for backup and we are not going to work on Sunday. Next thing I hear is "Good, that's Dog River's territory, drive safe until you get there"
DD also gave me a lesson on handling the RCMP. When she was about 25 she worked as a special constable in a resort community. That meant she didn't carry a gun and wasn't sent to calls where she might need one but was under the command of the RCMP. She also liked to drive fast. One day she is about 100 miles from home and moving. Comes over a hill and there is the police car. Stands on the brakes and pulls over when the lights come on. A nice young mountie says "you have great brakes in that car", kid says "why?". Mountie says "I got you on laser 3 times, 160,140 and 110" (these are kph). What can a girl say? She pulls out her RCMP id, puts it back and says "you don't want to see that" and pulls out her drivers license. 20's cop says "what don't I want to see?'" DD says "that" and gives him her license. He says "I do want to see it" so she gives in. His next words were "Hi, I'm Brad and I'm stationed in Hooterville. If you are ever here and bored, I'll give you a tour". He didn't give her a ticket.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Yes, I completely understand his logic. He is a wise man.
The weird thing is one of the tickets was for going too fast to come HOME to me (I could totally understand him speeding AWAY from me ).
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
...If there is a pack of cars going 90 in the fast lane, you can do 80-85 and be relatively safe. Don't be the lead car in a pack of cars that are speeding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
...My husband once got a speeding ticket as a result of his being the LAST car in a string of speeders. He asked him "why me?", the answer was that he was the easiest to catch...
Some years ago, on I-10 going to LA, I was going perhaps 5mph over the speed limit (55 then?) when I was passed by a caravan of perhaps 4 cars traveling at maybe 20mph over the limit. Soon, I was passed by a patrol car zooming by even faster to catch up with that group. As I really had nothing to fear, I sat back to enjoy the show. As he caught up with the group, one by one, they realized they were in trouble, and decelerated to the speed limit. He proceeded to pass them all.

Then, when he was several hundred feet in front of the group, he stopped and got out of the patrol car, and stood by the road side. As the group approached and passed him, he pointed his finger to each of them and motioned for them to pull over. Now, it was my turn to get a bit anxious as I approached him. No, he did not motion for me to stop.

A few years later, I witnessed a similar situation on a section of freeway in-town. Two guys busy tailgating one another were stopped both by a patrolman.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

just last Thursday i was pulled over on the edge of my neighborhood for going 42 in a 30. NO ONE goes just 30 on this particular 1/3 mile street but alas no excuse. it was a speed trap going into the sun at 5:30pm. the cop was 'nice' and gave me 40 in a 30mph zone.

the surreal / numbing issue was that i was coming home (alone) from the hospital after the birth of our first child 36 hrs before just to take a shower, grab a change of clothes, and head back. the cop never asked anything and i didn't have the energy to argue or ask questions. i knew i was technically busted but that it was a ridiculous waste of both our times and my money.

needless to say i respect the police officers in this town but they won't be getting a dime from us when the annual charity phone calls come in.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblack View Post
just last Thursday i was pulled over on the edge of my neighborhood for going 42 in a 30. NO ONE goes just 30 on this particular 1/3 mile street but alas no excuse. it was a speed trap going into the sun at 5:30pm. the cop was 'nice' and gave me 40 in a 30mph zone.

the surreal / numbing issue was that i was coming home (alone) from the hospital after the birth of our first child 36 hrs before just to take a shower, grab a change of clothes, and head back. the cop never asked anything and i didn't have the energy to argue or ask questions. i knew i was technically busted but that it was a ridiculous waste of both our times and my money.

needless to say i respect the police officers in this town but they won't be getting a dime from us when the annual charity phone calls come in.
WAIT! You thought you could just slide in this little fact about your first baby being born last week?

Congratulations! Go to court and get out of that ticket.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #52

My wife got pulled over once -almost a year ago- for not having the lights on in a short tunnel. Got fined 300 euros. A few months after having paid the fine this traffic violation ceased to be one....
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
WAIT! You thought you could just slide in this little fact about your first baby being born last week?

Oh yeah, you can beat this one. Piece of cake. Represent yourself and go before the judge for sure. Bring the birth certificate and some really cute photos as evidence.
Congrats on your little one!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I must add here that most of my traffic infractions were in my 20s and 30s. The most recent speeding ticket I had was 6 years ago, and I had an excuse for that. We were driving a car rental, a nice sedan that was so smooth, and I did not notice that I was over the limit. For a speeding ticket prior to that, I need to go back 20 years.

Now that I am a mellow pre-geezer with all the time in the world (to even sit around all day looking really really sad ) , why do I need to rush to get anywhere?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #55
Administrator

Quote:

Maybe - but is that ethical? If you were speeding and know it and get cited......
Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Maybe - but is that ethical? If you were speeding and know it and get cited......
True, but a nice judge might consider mitigating circumstances and send him to traffic school or something so points wouldn't go against his license and raise his insurance.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True, but a nice judge might consider mitigating circumstances and send him to traffic school or something so points wouldn't go against his license and raise his insurance.
In my city if you get a speeding ticket and have not taken a driver's safety course in the last 12 months, you can take the course on line and the ticket will not count against you. You will have to pay the fine, but it is lowered. There is no need to see a judge.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

I've been driving since 1999 since I was 21 (Yes, yes, I wasn't allowed to drive until I was out of high school since my mom thought it would be less expensive since car insurance for teenagers are more expensive). So far, I've only hear stories of my friends getting pulled over but not getting a ticket or riding with my cousin when I was in my pre-teens and having a cop pull her over yet not give her a ticket. My mom who has driven for almost 30 years and she drives slow (Under the speed limit) recently in the past few years has gotten a speeding ticket twice and she didn't speed at all and obeys the law yet still has some excuse from the cop saying she didn't make a complete stop or was over the speed limit when she was several blocks away where the speed she was going was under 35 yet the cop stopped her and said she was going over 20 OR 25 miles per hour in the school zone in which she had not even approached the 20 or 25 mile per hour school zone sign yet. My mom also recently got a warning when a snapshot of her car was shown going through a yellow/red light around a school intersection where you can only go 20 miles an hour. Who goes that slow? Somehow my mom got stuck behind someone and the light went from yellow to red. My mom is getting bad luck. Give her a break. She's 66 years old.

With me, I do not follow the speed limit. I usually go over 10 miles an hour yet have never once gotten pulled over ever. I've had instances where I see a motorcycle cop around the corner and I slow down. My heart races because he might want to pick me to give a ticket to but when I turn around, he's not there, or when I slow down at the last minute and see a motorcycle cop standing on the side of the road using his radar machine, I fear he'll hop on his bike and follow me or send me a ticket through the mail, but not yet.

We also have may intersections where it is photo enforced and a little camera sits on top of the intersection lights and I've had my days where I was running late for work and went through the yellow/red light. I also keep worrying that I'll receive a ticket in the mail but not yet. I've had dreams of getting pulled over and I literally feel crushed because I though my lucky streak was over. Thank goodness they were just dreams.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #59

Have been pulled over once for a speeding ticket and once for a burned out headlamp. Luckily, the country around here is very flat and you can see several miles in all directions so the constabulary cannot easily hide.