Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another virtuous one here:

I've never stolen a bike.
I've never smoked a joint bigger than my finger.
I've never blew up a high school teacher's mailbox after that first time.

I did have a helluva case of the shakes after being on a morphine drip for 3 days after my last back surgery. Never again!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #122

I never smoked anything or consumed any "substances".
I never had a manicure or pedicure, have no tattoo or piercing - not even for earrings.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never slapped anyone. I always am amazed how often someone (usually a woman, but occasionally a guy) slaps someone because the other person said something they didn't like!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I've never slapped anyone. I always am amazed how often someone (usually a woman, but occasionally a guy) slaps someone because the other person said something they didn't like!
I must live a sheltered life. I don't recall ever seeing someone slap another person.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

True. I didn't want to do drugs or have sex in high school, and strongly resented the implication that I was somehow a) dorky b) a conceited goody-good because of my perfectly rational leanings. I was not/am not at all saintly, and it seemed to me that all the pressure to do certain things was aimed at gratifying other people, not me.

I was friends with a beautiful girl who was a virgin, and was trying to hide the fact (during group conversations where other teens were bragging) so that she would not be made fun of. We shared our tales of pretending to know what sex was about, when in fact we were not interested in finding out, considering the quality of available partners. (The right prospective partner changes everything, of course).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's OK. It goes to show that one does not have to go with the crowd and do things that one does not enjoy. That was the intent of the OP in this thread, I think. Saintliness has nothing to do with it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound: I'm just guessing here... But I think the difference from nicotine to percocet or alcohol is the physical effects.

nicotine withdrawal can make you antsy and mad.

alcohol withdrawal can kill you. D.T.s are a medical emergency. So, if one drinks enough, one will start having some shakes (not DTs), and may want to have some hair of the dog. This continues enough that when they stop next time, they may have DTs or perhaps seizures and other nasty stuff.

Similar for the painkillers, although there I think it is more psychological. You hear that people on painkillers have severe rebound pain which drives them nuts.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #127

My experience with drugs was more along the line of Steve Jobs'. After four years of total immersion, I walked away with a positive trip. Maybe not so life changing as his. LSD and DMT were the most intense - a regular Lawn Mower Man thrill ride.
I never injected heroin.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

I found it strange that many posters found that my lifestyle is strange.

Take for example the one-night stand. We were married when we were both 24, but we knew each other since 20. Before we dated, there were a couple of short years when I could have a wild life, but I didn't or couldn't. Working part-time while going to school and being broke did not leave one with a lot of time for partying, or landing those one-night stands.

And ever since I knew my wife, in all these years, what would I get from a fling to risk all that we have had together? The care she has given me, particularly the current time that I have been sick? My wife is not a woman like Hillary, Jackie Kennedy, or that guy Wiener's wife who would suffer a philanderer. And no, she does not care to frequent this forum, though she knows my screen name and that I often spend a lot of time here. Whether she reads what I write here or not, it has no bearing.

So, perhaps I am in the minority in today's society. I was still surprised that for being old-fashioned, I became a saint!

About not driving fast and obeying traffic laws, I should not have mentioned that since the thread is about "never, not only once". It is not about "now", so what I mentioned was not appropriate. At this age, I get no thrill from speed. And I mellow down enough to see that traffic laws make sense to cut down on the mayhem careless motorists cause to the bystanders. I got a bit less foolish with age. Don't we all?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #129

I had a misspent youth so a lot of the dumb stuff people do when their young - I did. I also like a good cup of coffee and a cocktail on occasion. Most everything on the list - I've done... except:
- jumped out of a perfectly good airplane.
- Been south of the equator. (Hope to fix that in retirement.)
- Been in jail. But I was a defendant at a jury trial for vice charges. Thank goodness for the jury's decision to acquit and the judge's order of 'factual innocence".
- and for the the girly stuff - never worn fake eyelashes nor had plastic surgery to enhance/augment... which is pretty common in San Diego.

I've never broken a bone in a traditional sense... but I crushed an index finger and when I blew out my my knee in a motorcycle accident - it pulled a bone splinter off my knee cap... I guess, technically those were broken bones.

I'm a big believer in moderation... so while I tried various vices. I didn't continue them. except coffee and the occasional cocktail or glass of wine.

But man - I'm a sinner/heathen/floozy compared to all of you.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #130

[QUOTE=scrinch;1343198]Another virtuous one here:
I've never smoked a joint bigger than my finger.
+++

Are you including your thumb when you say, "my finger"?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Here are some additional common things that I have not done, looking at other posts.

13) Break a bone
14) Have a tattoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
NW-Bound: I'm just guessing here... But I think the difference from nicotine to percocet or alcohol is the physical effects.

nicotine withdrawal can make you antsy and mad.

alcohol withdrawal can kill you. D.T.s are a medical emergency. So, if one drinks enough, one will start having some shakes (not DTs), and may want to have some hair of the dog. This continues enough that when they stop next time, they may have DTs or perhaps seizures and other nasty stuff.

Similar for the painkillers, although there I think it is more psychological. You hear that people on painkillers have severe rebound pain which drives them nuts.
As an ex-smoker, I kept denying that I was not addicted. Yet, when I looked forward to smoking within 1/2 to 1 hr of waking up, it was the sign of dependency. As I compared notes with others in the thread that I mentioned, I eventually quit cold-turkey with no patches, no gums, no self-help books, while some people needed a lot of aids. The physiological effects if any were so mild for me, that I thought perhaps the dependency was more psychological for me. But whatever it is, I have not smoked for 10 years, and smoke bothers me now.

About DT (Delirium Tremens), I happened to read about it recently. I had not known that alcohol withdrawal effect could be so severe that it kills. Still, I wonder how people get themselves into that state in the first place.

About pain killer abuse, I can understand why wounded soldiers or people recuperating from major surgeries get hooked. But why do healthy normal people get started in the first place? And again, they must really overdose to get high, because I did not feel euphoric or anything other than less physical pain.

PS. By the way, is there such a thing as caffeine addiction? If so, I certainly do not have it. Though I used to drink 2-3 cups a day, I cut it all out, for the reason I wanted to sleep away the pain. Never missed it, and at this point, I can resume coffee drinking but have not.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #132

I just thought of a couple of things that I've NEVER...

I've never cheated on my husband, or any other person I was in a committed relationship with. I'm pretty darn monogamous.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I just thought of a couple of things that I've NEVER...

I've never cheated on my husband, or any other person I was in a committed relationship with. I'm pretty darn monogamous.
Are you sure you are not just saying that because of this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1343456

farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
Are you sure you are not just saying that because of this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1343456

LOL - that's the thread that triggered the thought.

It's true though. I'm not just saying it in case he reads it. (And he'd totally recognize my user name.)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
About pain killer abuse, I can understand why wounded soldiers or people recuperating from major surgeries get hooked. But why do healthy normal people get started in the first place? And again, they must really overdose to get high, because I did not feel euphoric or anything other than less physical pain.
The use of pain killers like Oxy can be the result of moving up from alcohol or pot into this narcotic because of the need for a "better" high. A lot of times, Oxy is mixed with Soma (a muscle relaxant) for even a better high.

A few years ago, I watched a neighbor at age 50 have a back operation and get prescribed pain killers (Oxy). He was off work for several months and had taken enough pain killers to hook himself severely. He eventually lost his job (couldn't travel on business) and continued with the painkillers. The doctors kept supplying him with them! He told me when we were at the neighborhood mailbox one day that no matter how hard he tried, he could not get off the pain killers. When he tried, he would have serious reactions and convulsions. Eventually, his wife divorced him, they lost their house and the kids left. I ran into him in Houston one day. He was a mess. Very sad story. This is more common than you think.

So that's how one person person gets hooked on pain killers.

We have two family members currently hooked on pain killers (oxy and Vicodin). They have been hooked for years and what they go through to get pills is incredible. It's not a good story. These are well paid professionals.

There is an epidemic in this country of people that are so hooked on these narcotics that they will do most anything to get pills from "Pill Houses" if they run out of doctors to write new prescriptions. If you really want to know more about this nationwide problem, just Google it. Here is a little article about it

Prescription Drug Abuse — OxyContin Drug Abuse
Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #136

How did we go from a sports talk radio host who never ate a waffle to a messed up divorced drug addict in Houston?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Several people mentioned tattoos. I often thought of getting one, but never did. Was afraid I'd a) end up with bunches b) grow tired of them.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #138

I never understood any poem that didn't rhyme. And, the only poem that I understood that did rhyme was "Casey at the Bat."
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #139

I have never eaten lobster
I have never ridden a jet ski
I have never jumped out of an airplane (although I did bungee jump once)
I have never ice skated
I have never been deer hunting (but I did hunt small game when I was younger)
I have never fathered a male child (3 girls)
I have never tweeted
I have never been a Boy Scout
I have never bounced a check
I have never been in jail
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #140

I have never used an ATM and I have no tattoos. It surprises me that so many on this forum have not drunk coffee. Perhaps someone from the coffee industry needs to see this thread and rethink their marketing strategies.