Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Desperation? I don't think so. They are limiting it to 50 people, so for $25,000 that is pretty effective marketing. This will be shared by media, on social media, in the news, it'll be everywhere even though there is fine print.

Edit: Google shows 15,700 hits on "Google $500 Card"

Brilliant marketing.
Just today I have already seen this on 3 different news outlets. Look at all the free advertising they are getting (including here). Plus they will take in $2.4 million from the $100 passes. And, realistically, how many of those folks will go alone? And how many will order a drink (beer, soda)? I bet, if you run the numbers (and I am sure they have), their worst case scenario is they break even on all the passes, and get millions of dollars in free advertising.

Pretty smart.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #22

If I was lucky enough to purchase the pass, and went every day, I'm sure I'd die sooner than normal, and they wouldn't lose that much $ on me! Lots of fat in those yummy breadsticks! The salad dressing doesn't do anything for me.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Never pay for Pasta again? $500 lifetime Pasta eating 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry
I can seeing buying the pass and then they leave your city). I like their food but only eat there twice a year because it’s not good for you.

Agreed. A paisano of mine took Don Achile to the OG for dinner on night. Two days later he was found in the OG parking lot with two broken legs. We figure the pasta sauce gave him bad gas causing him to buckle over and fall. What else could it be?
Old 08-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, when things get really bad and people are standing in soup lines, they will eye people dining in OG with envy.
...and according to some threads here, it could be any day now!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, when things get really bad and people are standing in soup lines, they will eye people dining in OG with envy.
So, here's the problem - if things get really bad, will OG have enough regular paying customers to stay in business?

Wouldn't that suck and be ironic if they closed - lifetime pasta but nowhere to get it.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #26

I presume these 50 passes are non-transferrable. Would be interesting to know what they'd sell for on ebay.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
...and get Type 2 Diabetes included for free!
Yep, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
The major downside is ... it's Olive Garden!
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
If I was lucky enough to purchase the pass, and went every day, I'm sure I'd die sooner than normal, and they wouldn't lose that much $ on me! Lots of fat in those yummy breadsticks! The salad dressing doesn't do anything for me.
It’s not the fat or even salt on those breadsticks you need to worry about, it’s the carbs!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #28

I'd take that if OG hadn't left our province 20+ years ago. As pointed out only 50 people who buy the $100 9 weeks of pasta will get the to upgrade. It would also depend on whether I get the salad option. Not fond of the soup.

Reminds me of AAirPass (American Airlines $250k lifetime first class unlimited airline ticket) which didn't work out very well for them. Good idea to limit the number of people who can acquire the passes.
6miths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

What do real Italians think of Olive Garden? Here's a typical reaction.

No Italians have ever seen the bread sticks before. They all laugh, and probably think of a body part. The following couple have never heard of Fettuccine Alfredo either. It's funny.

But in the end, they admitted that while the food was not like what they were used to, particularly with the presentation, they could eat it and it was better than they expected.

And there was so much more food in a dish than they could finish, but that's a common American thing.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
...and get Type 2 Diabetes included for free!

+1. No thanks!!
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #31

Olive Garden? If they paid me $500, I still wouldn't want to eat there.

My wife likes it, so I take her when she insists. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #32

There is one intersection near us that has: an Applebee’s, an Olive Garden and a Chili’s. When moved in we vowed to never visit any of them. So far, so good.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

How a real Italian makes and eats a dish may be quite differently than what an American knows.

Hear this story from an American Italian chef who's self-taught. I just learned of this man Nick Stellino just now, although he has a TV show.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #34

Heh, heh, for the yearly price of my Costco card, DW and I can eat samples every day! Actually, our local Costco is now letting everyone in - even if they don't show their card. Forget the cat food in retirement. Just move close to a Costco and you can eat for life! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
...and according to some threads here, it could be any day now!

Haha .. funny ... in another 1930s depression.. those lifetime passholders will be smiling.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, for the yearly price of my Costco card, DW and I can eat samples every day! Actually, our local Costco is now letting everyone in - even if they don't show their card. Forget the cat food in retirement. Just move close to a Costco and you can eat for life! YMMV
How many rounds does one have to make visiting the sample food carts in order to get the 2,000-calorie daily requirement?

Perhaps it is simpler to supplement the food samples with the well-known Costco hot dog+soda deal for $1.50. The Web site Nutrionix shows the calorie content of this combo as 960 calories. That goes a long way towards quenching one's hunger. One still needs to get some veggie for fiber and vitamins.

Now, one can appreciate the OG lifetime deal: a sit-down meal with good nutrition value.