Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
We have had three pools over the last 35 plus years and loved all of them. The technology and high efficiency equipment has made pools easier to maintain over the years. As stated they aren't maintenance free and require some up keep just like anything mechanical. They are purely a luxury item and not an investment. If you have trees or the neighbors near by they are a pain when the leaves start to fall. When you are landscaping around the pools pick your plants carefully.
I would love to hear any landscaping tips you have for around the pool, thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now I don't feel so bad about having a lakehouse 17 miles away. Boating and swimming with little maintenance and appreciation to boot.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Iíve been a pool owner for almost 20 years. Do all of my own maintenance, except when we are RVíing. Feel like maintenance is an easy 20 or 30 minutes per week chore (about 1 beer). We love having the pool, use it a lot to cool off from the hot humid Houston-area summers. Even when we donít use it, we like the atmosphere of a back yard pool. Very tropical and resort-looking. Iíve got a maintenance tip for all of you Polaris owners. I insert a womanís knee high stocking into the Polaris leaf bag (fold the open end of the stocking around the leaf bag collar). It catches all of the fine particles (sand) and makes cleaning the bag a snap. Just pull the used stocking out, discard it, and insert a fresh one. I order a box of 10 pair of stockings from Amazon and it lasts 20 weeks (one stocking per week).
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
...also, are you including electricity and water? I know both of those are expensive where my sister lives...
No. I'm using your definition:

Quote:
...she said it was over $500 per month for chemicals and maintenance...
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
No. I'm using your definition:
Then I had a bad definition... of course you might be able to put those items in maintenance since you cannot let the pool stagnate or evaporate away...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #46

We've had pools twice and are about to have our third. We learned some things with each one:

1. Pool 1 - we put in. It had a spa with it and a waterfall and was very pretty. The kids loved in and I loved it and used it a lot. That pool would cost a lot to build now. It was no more than 5' deep which I felt was fine. We did the pool maintenance ourselves except for occasional check ups or if there was a major problem.

2. Pool 2 - House had existing pool with a deep end, diving board and slide. Insurance company wouldn't cover unless we got rid of the diving board and slide so we did. Pool was very plain and had no spa. Kids used it some but I didn't use it much. I really, really liked having the spa with the pool and would go back and forth between them. For me, the pool was much less enticing without the spa. We started out doing the maintenance. But, that property had a ton of trees and we had constant leaves in the pool and we could never keep the chemicals balanced. So finally we hired a service. Even they had a trouble keeping them balanced.

3. House with no pool - After that DH refused to have a pool. He wouldn't even look at a house with a pool. We did buy a standalone spa which was nice.

4. Pool 3 - We are closing on a house next week that has a pool. We didn't set out to get a pool (see above). But, in our new location the majority of houses we looked at had pools. In some subdivisions aerial photos showed that 80% or more of the houses had pools. To reject houses on that basis meant rejecting most house prospects in a market that already has crazy low inventory. So, DH agreed to consider a pool.

We are buying a house with a pool/spa. I like the ones with the spa much better and was not enthralled with houses with a pool and no spa. The pool is a little long in the tooth and will need replastering soon. We will probably convert it to salt (if I was building one I would build it that way).

Having a pool again has grown on me. By the time we bought whenever we looked at a house without a pool I started thinking about putting one in. Actually, I seriously thought about putting in a swimspa since I thought that would be enough for me. Although the actual house we are buying ended up having a fairly good sized pool.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then I had a bad definition... of course you might be able to put those items in maintenance since you cannot let the pool stagnate or evaporate away...

Looking at Kats response.... I wonder if my sister put in the extra cost for insurance in her number... but not curious enough to ask....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

As you can see from the responses, only YOU can answer this question correctly! I say if you know you are going to use it then self-maintaining today's salt water pool is really easy. I spend literally 15 minutes a month (during "on" months) to keep pool in good condition and cost me about $200 a year in supplies, thanks to debris vacuum with a dedicated booster pump. The real point is the usage. Our usage has gone down after the first year but still worth it since I have kids in the house. I am sure now that I am NOT a pool person. We pulled a trigger to build one since kids were young when we built the pool.

PS: Account for water cost based on where you live. Down here in Dallas, Texas with 35x20 surface area, I have to fill up pool with 6 hours of faucet time a year. Rain fills up rest of it.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for all the responses and great feedback. Based on some of the replies, we're starting to reconsider the plan to install a pool. The main reasons are (1) lots of trees in our backyard so we'd have to have a pool enclosure ($), and (2) our lot is maybe 1/4 of an acre and the houses are like 15-20 ft apart so our neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate the noise from the pump.

Having said that, we have some neighbors down the street from us with a similar lot and they installed a pool. We're going to ask them about their experiences so far and hopefully take a look at their pool and setup before making a final decision.

Our neighborhood has a *small* community pool (dues $190/yr) that we joined our first 2 years here but it has mostly been taken over by the kiddies. We decided not to join the 3rd year after hearing stories of a "baby ruth" floating in the pool.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Thank you all for all the responses and great feedback. Based on some of the replies, we're starting to reconsider the plan to install a pool. The main reasons are (1) lots of trees in our backyard so we'd have to have a pool enclosure ($), and (2) our lot is maybe 1/4 of an acre and the houses are like 15-20 ft apart so our neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate the noise from the pump.

Having said that, we have some neighbors down the street from us with a similar lot and they installed a pool. We're going to ask them about their experiences so far and hopefully take a look at their pool and setup before making a final decision.

Our neighborhood has a *small* community pool (dues $190/yr) that we joined our first 2 years here but it has mostly been taken over by the kiddies. We decided not to join the 3rd year after hearing stories of a "baby ruth" floating in the pool.
Lots of trees? You may find a dead squirrel floating around in the pool from time to time. Better floating than in the skimmer where you don't notice it (ask me how we know). The frogs are OK, but they really don't like chlorine.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The frogs are OK, but they really don't like chlorine.
Ugh....we have lots of squirrels and frogs! Plus, our dog is a frog eater.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #52

You might consider either a standalone spa or a swimspa. I think we might have gone the swimspa route if we hadn't bought a house with a pool. Another option would be consider a "spool" which is a very small pool with a spa. Those can work fine with limited space. That said -- 1/4 acre really isn't limited space. The house we are buying is .3 acres and has a fairly large pool and there is still plenty of backyard.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:32 AM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

A pool is much like a boat, they're great when your neighbor owns one!
imp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
DW and I (empty nesters) are thinking about installing a pool in our small backyard. We live in the deep south so we'd get several months usage from it and we don't plan on moving anytime soon, if ever. I do wonder what I'd have to do with the pool if we were to go away for 1-3 months.

Just curious what others' experiences have been. If you installed a pool, any regrets? Any 'gotchas' to be aware of?
Had a pool years ago. Don't ever want another one. It was a hole in the ground I poured money into.

It was great at first and the family really enjoyed it, but like all things the new wore off and it was another thing to maintain.

I can see getting a hot tub... much less maintenance. No more pool however...
WestUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
New backyard pool - good or bad idea?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

New backyard pool - good or bad idea?

DW loves to swim daily May to October when water is over 85 degrees. We live in south Texas.
We put up a round Doughboy 25 years ago.
Upgraded to a large in ground 2 years ago with an in-floor cleaning system.

Budget for a pool service unless you enjoy tinkering with it.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I insisted on having a pool when we were house hunting last year. DH did not want one, argued against it, but lost.

Guess who uses the pool more than I do?
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I went through this 2 years ago and have a post floating around here somewhere. I'll be brief.

- we are early 60s and in PA
- I have had pools all my life and our above ground was about at end of life (end of safe life).
- I did not want another above ground pool. The liners aren't of great quality and I did not want to risk flooding out our neighbors house.
- We got estimates and planned for an in-ground pool. Came very close to pulling the trigger.
- Once I started adding up all the related installation expenses, we started to rethink.
- 8 years ago my Dad got sick with cancer, then Mom got sick with cancer and then dealing with their passing. We went 3 seasons without opening the pool. It was VERY hard to bring the pool back to normal.
- A local lady lost her husband and began to get dementia. Their inground pool went green and unmaintained. They are very hard to deal with when you are done with them.
- Life happens and the pool will likely take a back seat. We are trying to make our house MORE maintenance free - not less.
- We have had a hot tub for dozens of years. The first year without a pool it became a "cool" tub. That was ok - but missed the HOT tub.
- Last summer I got one of those Easy Set pools and LOVED it. It was enough to cool off with and do some exercises in. That was really all I needed it for. Looking forward to my little pool again this summer.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

We do not do our own pool maintenance. I don't know anyone who does here in Mexico. And while we don't have a pool at our FL home, plenty of our neighbors do, and all of them use a pool company. I don't think they charge very much.

If I were farther north in the US than NC, I would not bother with a pool as the season would be too short. Lived in Northern VA for 30+ years and the few families we knew with pools said it wasn't worth having one.

mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote