Join Early Retirement Today

New backyard pool - good or bad idea?
Old 05-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New backyard pool - good or bad idea?

DW and I (empty nesters) are thinking about installing a pool in our small backyard. We live in the deep south so we'd get several months usage from it and we don't plan on moving anytime soon, if ever. I do wonder what I'd have to do with the pool if we were to go away for 1-3 months.

Just curious what others' experiences have been. If you installed a pool, any regrets? Any 'gotchas' to be aware of?

Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
DW and I (empty nesters) are thinking about installing a pool in our small backyard. We live in the deep south so we'd get several months usage from it and we don't plan on moving anytime soon, if ever. I do wonder what I'd have to do with the pool if we were to go away for 1-3 months.

Just curious what others' experiences have been. If you installed a pool, any regrets? Any 'gotchas' to be aware of?
Probably the biggest is figuring out how to keep children, drunks, fleeing criminals and other neighborhood humans from falling into and drowning in your pool.

Ha

Old 05-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Google "attractive nuisance" for some eye-opening information.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #4

Here's a thread a couple years back with lots of input. I'm sure there are pool services that might do short term care for a long trip, if you'd otherwise want to self-maintain.

Thoughts on a pool after retirement...

I don't believe I have many drunks and criminals wandering around my neighborhood aimlessly looking to fall in, other people's kids? A fence works for that.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From a resale point of view, expect to get less than 50% of cost of building an in ground pool when selling your home. Much less if you are not in an "upscale" neighborhood. (Above ground pools actually detract from the value of the home, in our area).

From a travel point of view, there are services available that maintain your pool: chemicals, cleaning, etc., for a monthly fee.

The highest ongoing costs are opening/closing (if done professionally, in the winter/spring) and the cost of heating if desired. The cost of heating is VERY high, unless you use solar.

DW and I once had a pool and really enjoyed it. Of course the kids were young. But we also liked float around on a raft and relax. We also liked eating meals by the pool-very relaxing. But around here, they are $40k to$50k to put in a modest (in ground) one. Too much cash for the enjoyment, IMHO.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't live in houston (again) without a pool...

we used ours about 5 times a week between march and october
Old 05-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The question is will you be like Big Hitter or not...

If you do not use it much it is not worth it... when we were looking at a new house my DW wanted a pool... since my sister had one I asked how much it cost her.... she said it was over $500 per month for chemicals and maintenance, plus you have to keep cleaning it all the times from the leaves... and we have a LOT of leaves and pine needles...

To me it was not worth it... the cost was too high for the benefits...

We did get a house with a hot tub.... that has cost me money off and on over the years.... a new heater, fix the pump, new filters, jets etc. etc... but still not as much as a pool....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

We installed one last year. The new salt water systems are computer controlled and if you have a Polaris cleaning system they are Hardly any maintenance. We had a loop lock cover installed for when we closed it in the winter. We took the opportunity to redo the entire back yard when had the pool built. New deck, new concrete under the deck which meshes into the pool area, under decking to create a dry area, Reno'd the screened in porch with ez breeze windows, fence around pool, fire pit in yard and new sod.

We probably spent more money then we should have but if we can enjoy it for the next 20 years it will be worth it. Don't plan on selling any time soon.

As far as leaving for 1 - 3 months, you can cover the pool and still run the filter. The cover keeps the debris out and acts as an addition layer of safety for any unwanted guests. Your building code will require a fence around the pool. You might want to have a pool service check on it when your away.

FYI, we are mid 50's empty nesters. Kids are still shaking their heads at all the improvements we have made, wondering why we didn't do it when they were here.
GA_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Brown View Post
We installed one last year. The new salt water systems are computer controlled and if you have a Polaris cleaning system they are Hardly any maintenance. We had a loop lock cover installed for when we closed it in the winter. We took the opportunity to redo the entire back yard when had the pool built. New deck, new concrete under the deck which meshes into the pool area, under decking to create a dry area, Reno'd the screened in porch with ez breeze windows, fence around pool, fire pit in yard and new sod.

We probably spent more money then we should have but if we can enjoy it for the next 20 years it will be worth it. Don't plan on selling any time soon.

As far as leaving for 1 - 3 months, you can cover the pool and still run the filter. The cover keeps the debris out and acts as an addition layer of safety for any unwanted guests. Your building code will require a fence around the pool. You might want to have a pool service check on it when your away.

FYI, we are mid 50's empty nesters. Kids are still shaking their heads at all the improvements we have made, wondering why we didn't do it when they were here.
A friends salt water chlorine generator quit last week on his pool and an algae growth started. He spent over $1K getting the pool back to normal. Nice pool, but no pool is maintenance free.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
A friends salt water chlorine generator quit last week on his pool and an algae growth started. He spent over $1K getting the pool back to normal. Nice pool, but no pool is maintenance free.
Never said maintenance free. Said hardly any maintenance.

If he didn't notice his chlorine gen puked and his pool turned green then he probably wasn't checking the pool computer and testing the water.

We just opened ours and I have spent about $100 in salt and chems.
GA_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We have an inground pool in La Quinta Ca. Unheated and I'm a wimp, so it what I'd call a comfortable temp about 2-3 weeks/year - mostly just when we are leaving. It does provide an answer to the question "whatta you do all day?". Clean, brush, skim leaves, fight algae, replace bits that have failed. High efficiency pump cost $850, but brought our electric cost for circulating the water down to $50/month. Tried a few pool cleaners and was not happy - expensive and I was getting dinged for stuff I couldn't verify from 1000 miles away. Have drained the pool the last several years (no worry about high water table floating it out of the dirt here). OTOH, the brutal sun has alligator cracked the plaster, so maybe $10k to replaster? Not real sure it is all worthwhile, but there is something to sitting by the pool in the evening and looking at the reflections.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #12

We bought a house with a pool 23 years ago. Love it. Really got used a lot when the kids were little. Now they are grown and gone, so doesn't get used as much, but we still enjoy it. Even better, now we have a 4-yr old granddaughter and she absolutely LOVES the pool! She is quite the little waterbug. We still use the old system of chlorine, etc. It doesn't cost us anywhere near $500/month. But instead of buying chemicals from the pool store we use regular chlorine bleach and big boxes of baking soda. Works just fine. Been maintaining it using these for years. Keeping it clean is really not a huge deal and we have a lot of big, tall trees.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Brown View Post
Never said maintenance free. Said hardly any maintenance.

If he didn't notice his chlorine gen puked and his pool turned green then he probably wasn't checking the pool computer and testing the water.

We just opened ours and I have spent about $100 in salt and chems.
They are empty nesters and they was gone on a trip when it quit. They have had the pool for quite some time, but rarely use it unless the grandkids are visiting. They have enjoyed it, but are kind of over it. I had a pool when the kids were pre-teen and I was living in CA. We liked it and I did the pool care. One pool is enough for a lifetime...kind of like a boat!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a big, gorgeous pool at a home I sold, and only have a community pool now. We are looking to buy a house with a pool I miss it so much. I used it all the time for at least nine months of the year.

I had a Polaris cleaner which helped a lot, but it's still some work. I actually enjoyed taking care of it though....checking the Ph, acidity, adding acid, shocking it with chlorine when needed, cleaning the filter with the hose, big buckets of chlorine tablets....all good fun.

My vote is a big +1 for a pool!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoyed my pool. Cost to maintain it was far less than $500/month. It was chlorine, and after the first summer I got pretty good at knowing how to take care of it with very little work on a daily basis. I probably spent less than an hour a week maintaining the pool.

If you do build one, ask them to put a return line in the wall so you can attach a hose which then attaches to a cleaner that scoots around the bottom pool and sucks debris off of the floor. (The alternative is to run the hose into the skimmer which causes you to lose the function of that skimmer while the cleaner is attached ). I didn’t really have anything that I disliked about the pool. Even when I didn’t use it much, I still liked the way it looked in my back yard. Sitting by the pool having coffee or a drink was just super relaxing.
AS2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #16
Administrator

Pools are very common here in Fl. You need a pool motor, which might run $500 - $1000 installed, and should be run 8 hours per day (in hot weather). Most folks here hire a pool company, typical cost is $80 - $100 per month, and includes weekly cleaning and chemical rebalancing.

Attached to the pool, you can have them put in a spa or jacuzzi. Those are very popular and quite relaxing. The motor makes a bit of noise and could be an issue with neighbors, especially if they are close or curmudgeonly. Some folks also spoil themselves with a pool heater ($1.5 - $3K). It makes the spa / jacuzzi really nice.

Call a pool servicing company and ask what they charge of the weekly servicing. Doing it yourself should not cost any more than that.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #17

One possibility in the south would be to see if you could get an ac that rejects the heat it generates to water. That way once the AC starts working the pool gets heated essentially for free. (you AC the house already). It might take the addition of a large radiator in mid summer to cool the pool off at night if need be.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #18

Growing up we had a above ground pool. My Dad took care of it. He got sick of all the leaves etc so had a top put over it and then you could swim on colder days as the sun would heat it up and the wind couldn't get in. It also had windows you could open if you got too hot. When my parents sold the house the people did not want it because they had kids so my folks sold it to someone that carried it off. Much less of a permanent decision. However, the season was short because we lived in WI.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

To me, a pool is like a boat with the water on the wrong side. They both cost a lot to maintain...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Pools are very common here in Fl.
Those are mostly bath temperature puddles. I see a ton of pools in FL, and in most of them if you took two strokes swimming you'd hit a wall. DW would like a pool. I've had one before, and it was a fair amount of work, although I suspect it's gotten easier over the last 40 years. But I won't say yes to a pool unless it's one I can actually swim laps in. I love to swim, but there's a significant price difference between those plunge pools (aka puddles) and a lap pool. I've also considered the endless pool, but never pulled the trigger.

I agree with those who say it all depends on how often you will use it. If you do use it regularly it would be well worth it. If you won't, it will be nearly as good a money pit as a boat.