New Car

New, 2014 Ford F250 Platinum & 2014 Chevy Corvette, work & play, no druthers. I've been a Ford truck girl since I started driving and got into corvettes via husband's interest. My daily driver is a 2010 Ford F150 Platinum bought new. Usually hang onto truck for 100,000 miles, need reliable for work, love this Platinum @ 123,000 miles and don't want to give it up. Have replaced tires twice. No other repairs other than regular maintenance.

We bought two cars in 2009--planned to buy a new Prius (We've saved so much on gas; OMG) a gently used Camry for DS when my Volvo that was supposed to be his car nearly caught on fire and died a most painful auto death. DH has a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan--there are times a big vehicle is really really useful, also bought gently used. I would not buy a brand new vehicle again, but we could not find a used Prius LOL.

Parked next to a black Lamborghini 2 days ago. I am not impressed with a car I could run over because it's so low to the ground and black--nearly didn't see it. Not only that, it costs 3 years of living expenses. One Lamborghini could pay for two college educations or about 15 cruises. It's wheels folks. If you can afford that kind of vehicle, impressive, if that what impresses you. Me, not so much. I just would choose to use that kind of money elsewhere. Perhaps a PhD for DS or who knows what.

Let's see - my previous car was a 91 caprice station wagon I paid $600 for. Planned to trick it out, but never did. Rebuilt the engine and did body work. Never got it out of primer, but it ran nicely. Used it for the days I didn't ride my bike the two miles to work.

DWs car hit the point it was too expensive to maintain, and we were still paying BS's ( beloved son) college out of our paycheck, so we found her a new 2009 Nissan Versa with a stick. Cheap and fun to drive. Still have the Versa. Sold the Chevy, and bought the 2012 GMC Sierra 3500 crew Cab, 4x4 DRW with the Duramax Turbo diesel so I can haul the 2013 truck camper.

Next year I want to replace the Nissan with a Tesla. Still working on DW about that...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Bought back to back new Hyndai Azeras. Good quality (as good as Toyotas although that isn't saying much these days), 10 year warranty, and good pricing - a trifecta! There's a good reason why Hyndai has been moving up the ladder, 6th from the list above.

My normal beater for work is 93 Volvo w/ 230 k. In 96 a paid 6 grand and still with us.

About 4 years a bought my retirement car a 98 Volvo T5 stick with 90K for 3,200, and
I expect this to be my last car. I do 95% of services and they are like my children.

If you intent to keep a car for a long time make sure that your car has a dip stick on the transmission. They are becoming a thing of the past!!!

Just replaced my 2005 Jetta TDI with 165K on it. Sold it for $6,500 privately.

Bought this (2014 Pasat TDI SE - Opera Red Metallic with beige interior) Currently getting 44+ MPG @ Texas highway speeds:

red Passat.jpg

We only put about 7K on cars in total, and that was including 2 long trips last year. I'm thinking this year it will be closer to 10K with more trips.

Just a side note:
I keep reading comments like this, and it always makes me scratch my head.

I've averaged around 24,000 miles a year on my car for the last 30-40 years, and that has seemed perfectly normal. Before we got married, DW averaged around 20,000 miles on hers.

In the last two years, my mileage has dropped drastically, so now I'm only putting on about 20,000 a year.

Is my mileage so ridiculously high, or are there others who do the same? I'm really curious.

Bought this (2014 Pasat TDI SE - Opera Red Metallic with beige interior) Currently getting 44+ MPG @ Texas highway speeds:

View attachment 20375

Nice looking car and you sure can't beat that mileage. Think the best I get is 30-31 highway with the 2004 vette. My truck gets 11-12 city.

Just a side note:

I've averaged around 24,000 miles a year on my car for the last 30-40 years, and that has seemed perfectly normal. Before we got married, DW averaged around 20,000 miles on hers.

In the last two years, my mileage has dropped drastically, so now I'm only putting on about 20,000 a year.

Is my mileage so ridiculously high, or are there others who do the same? I'm really curious.

While working we used to drive and travel so much for 40 years that as soon as we retired we decided the last thing we wanted to do was travel. After 2 1/2 years that feeling hasn't gone away so that is why my mileage stays around 5000 a year. It certainly helps with my travel, or lack of it for retirement budgeting!! I almost never get on a plane either!!:dance:

Nice looking car and you sure can't beat that mileage. Think the best I get is 30-31 highway with the 2004 vette. My truck gets 11-12 city.

Thanks, the new clean diesels are really high tech and this one comes with a Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) (most TDI's do these days).

I pondered on a used Vette, but DW wanted a car that will fit better with our (her?) lifestyle. Maybe if the market is kind to me a used Vette may be in the cards some day.

Just a side note:

I don't get it either. My annual average car mileage since I retired has been 3600 miles. This is probably because everything a human being could possibly ever need, is within 5 miles of my house.

Because my mileage is so low, I have been worried about losing my driving capabilities so I am intentionally driving even when I don't need to go anywhere. I regularly take Frank on a long pleasure drive at least four times a week. But no results. :banghead:

I probably need to take it out on the interstate during those pleasure drives, instead of enjoying residential streets where the speed limit is low. However, I detest all the traffic on the interstate, especially during rush hour.

Our driving hasn't slowed down much as DW still somehow covers 15,000 miles per year and she is retired 5 years. I have been averaging about 24,000 miles per year. We do take driving vacations and have been to North Carolina a few times and Wisconsin three times in the last 5 years.

After 35+ years of a steady diet of air travel for business, I have little desire to hop on another jam packed airplane.

Last edited:
Thanks, the new clean diesels are really high tech and this one comes with a Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) (most TDI's do these days).

I pondered on a used Vette, but DW wanted a car that will fit better with our (her?) lifestyle. Maybe if the market is kind to me a used Vette may be in the cards some day.

I enjoy our trucks and vettes. They are all fun to drive.......and they're all fast. lol

my mileage so ridiculously high, or are there others who do the same? I'm really curious.

When I worked, our milage was lower. I worked at home and didn't get a chance to travel for pleasure much.

Now that I'm retired, we're going places. The car we purchased last year racked up over 25,000 miles on it in 12 months. Carpe diem!

View attachment 20375
Do you like these diesels for economy or some other advantage? Some years back I was doing high mileage driving and had a couple Rabbit Diesels. They were cheap on fuels, but overall kind of a pita. I have heard that the new VW diesels are excellent.

Ha

DH has a 10 year old Ford F150 with 60k miles on it and I have a Lexus IS convertible. Both bought new as I hate unreliable cars. Won't buy new again though.

I regularly take Frank on a long pleasure drive at least four times a week. But no results. :banghead:
Well, I guess one expects pleasure from a pleasure drive. Keep trying!

Ha

when commuting for w*rk, I was doing 20k+/yr. Now I do less than 5k and that is split on two vehicles. I suspect at this burn rate they will outlive me.

After 35+ years of a steady diet of air travel for business, I have little desire to hop on another jam packed airplane.

I hear ya and we can fly for free but don't. We are heading back to the SW from the upper mid west at the end of the week in our '07 baby Mercedes which so far has been flawless.

I have to say most late model car interiors look cheap. I absolutely hate the plastic brushed aluminum used by just about every manufacture.

We lived close to work about 5 miles away, sometime my work was 17 miles away. Other times I worked from home. So in a year I would do 11,000 miles. DW would do about 5,000.
Now that we are retired there is less need to go out and everything is within 2-3 miles. Heck yesterday I walked the 2 miles to return a redbox movie and 2 miles back, it was nice.
While on a trip, I can easily drive 600 miles in 1 day, but that's freeway driving, not traffic jams. I hate traffic jams, so I avoid driving too much around town on weekends when all the working folks are running around to shop :)

Do you like these diesels for economy or some other advantage? Some years back I was doing high mileage driving and had a couple Rabbit Diesels. They were cheap on fuels, but overall kind of a pita. I have heard that the new VW diesels are excellent.

Ha

Night and day between the early Rabbit diesels and these new ones.

New ones are turbocharged and have lots of low end torque.

New ones are 1,000 times cleaner (the 2009 Jetta TDI won Green Car of the Year Award).

Quieter...you can't even hear the engine as the traditional engine knock is tuned out with better, very high pressure injection and multi-phase injectors.

Way more efficient than a traditional gasoline engine due to diesel having more energy per pound than gasoline.

No diesel fuel odors with the extremely high fuel pressure (common rail) injection.

You can have a full size ride with 40+ MPG and it's not like driving a kitchen appliance, like a Prius.

Diesel is the engine of choice in most other countries.

The Passat I bought is American made in the new (2012 built) plant in Tennessee. Plus, I get about 800 miles to a tank of fuel (18 gallons).

These are very sophisticated machines and a pleasure to drive. Note all the Mercedes and Audi diesel offerings (and BMW).

The mileage thing... For us, just a matter of age and not really wanting to drive.
The days of cruising and just enjoying the scenery have turned into, "been there, done that". We just go where we have to. Don't do driving at night, and living in a semi rural area, no heavy traffic. Example.. from house to the lake, 27 miles, have driven it and passed less that 10 cars going in the other direction. As to our place in Florida, didn't go last year, and will ride down with DIL when we return this year.
No problem with driving... reaction times etc., but just not really fun anymore, except for dragging youngsters with the Caddy... Never when DW's in the car.

For car buffs who might not have had the joy of automobilia in the early years, try this...
Fwd: For Car Buffs...this is good
Our second car in the early years was the '60 Chrysler Valiant (shown in the link, and the same color)... Our first real love. :)

Last edited:
This year we have started to break up long drives, I now set an arbitrary limit of about 600 miles and then we stop for the night. Previously I would just push through until we rolled into our destination at 2 am. :(

The breaking up a trip has made the trip better. I get to drive in daytime so can see stuff, and view traffic conditions miles up the road, less worries about deer jumping in front of the car. Plus we get to stop at a quick attraction/site/antique store along the way.

"I still like Porsches, but the Alfa deserves a look based on price/performance."

I think Porsches and Alfas are both pretty cool!

Night and day between the early Rabbit diesels and these new ones.

New ones are turbocharged and have lots of low end torque.

New ones are 1,000 times cleaner (the 2009 Jetta TDI won Green Car of the Year Award).

Quieter...you can't even hear the engine as the traditional engine knock is tuned out with better, very high pressure injection and multi-phase injectors.

Way more efficient than a traditional gasoline engine due to diesel having more energy per pound than gasoline.

No diesel fuel odors with the extremely high fuel pressure (common rail) injection.

You can have a full size ride with 40+ MPG and it's not like driving a kitchen appliance, like a Prius.

Diesel is the engine of choice in most other countries.

The Passat I bought is American made in the new (2012 built) plant in Tennessee. Plus, I get about 800 miles to a tank of fuel (18 gallons).

These are very sophisticated machines and a pleasure to drive. Note all the Mercedes and Audi diesel offerings (and BMW).
Thanks Aja, you have addressed my questions nicely.

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom