Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The info is very interesting...

Surprise to me is how many more Ford has sold over Toyota and Chevy... thought it would be closer.... guess most of that is due to the other names since Lincoln is pretty low..

Also surprised Mazda has sold so few.... I see lots of ads etc. for them for this low of sales...

I usually keep cars for 10 years or 100,000 miles... most hit the 10 year mark before the miles... loved my 10YO Acura, but totaled it with 52K miles...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
What an odd parallel. I too bought my first and only new car - also a BMW, also 7 years ago, for about $32K (a killer deal at the time with an MSRP of $46K). Unlike krotoole though, mine has been reliable as a stone. 135K miles and counting with the only repairs needed being the usual wear items (tires, shocks, brake pads, battery, various bushings, filters and fluids). Still runs great as fast as I dare go. Still gets 30 mpg at 80+ on the freeway. Hope I didn't just jinx it, but can't complain.

All that said, I'm enough of a frugal-nazi (and a decent enough shade tree mechanic) that this too will likely be my last new car.
Wow...glad you had such a better experience! From memory the failures I went thru...

1). Electronics related to the BMW assist...$2500 (I declined to fix that)
2). Mirror control assembly...$1200...
3). Vapor barrier...$600 (passenger cabin would leak in the rain)
4). Molding/weather stripping (front and rear)...$500?
5). Something related to Spark plug wires...$300 per to replace...I did all six
6). Cup holder (not joking...they slid in/out...spring broke..$50)
7). Cracked wheel...$425 (can happen to anyone...but it was icing on the cake)

And they used these run-flat tires that didn't wear right and made horrific road noise -- would give you a headache on a long drive. They replaced the first pair for free. I replaced the second pair at full cost...$1200

...and when I sold the car it had 43000 miles on it...so, yeah, the car had three sets of tires before it hit 50K miles...

The on-board computer flaked out on the ride to drop it off and buy my acura. I was suddenly getting 99 MPG. It was like the car's way of telling me I was doing the right thing.

So all of that crap in a car that got driven about 6k miles/year. I will never have a BMW in my driveway again where I am reponsible for the maintenance.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

1998 Lincoln Signature Town Car current 114K mi. bought in 2000 for $18K.
1996 Cadillac SLS current 77Kmi. bought in 2004 for $5K.
Total repairs over the years... Lincoln $1,000 A/C flapper, Cadillac $500 ignition switch.
Both still look exactly like the pics.
Sadly, will never buy another car in this lifetime.

'Druthers would be a 2012 Pontiac Solstice, but not sure I'd fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lincln.jpg (86.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Cadillac.jpg (35.1 KB, 14 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by serie1926 View Post
Thanks! Yes, will order when I sell my Lamborghini Gallardo.
You realize the Lambo is in a tow-away zone, right? --> Couldn't help but notice the 'P-car parking only' sign
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Buy old, Buy new?
Style... Sedan, Van, Truck, other?
Make?
Why?

And... If I had my druthers?.....
Style - Can't decide, that's why we still have three cages and one motorcycle; Porsche Boxster (why? Because as Peter Egan once wrote; "There are only so many [beautiful summer days and evenings]", Porsche Cayenne SUV (why? Goes anywhere anytime with passengers), Ford ratty high miles F150 pickup truck (why? Drives great & hauls whatever), and a BMW dual sport moto (why? Makes me smile every ride); bike was bought new 16 years ago, all others used - I let others take the depreciation hit and take my time looking for "the one." Knees are telling me the moto might as well go, but my heart says no.

If I had my druthers (and a helluva lot more money*1,000) - Porsche 918
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #26

New, 2014 Ford F250 Platinum & 2014 Chevy Corvette, work & play, no druthers. I've been a Ford truck girl since I started driving and got into corvettes via husband's interest. My daily driver is a 2010 Ford F150 Platinum bought new. Usually hang onto truck for 100,000 miles, need reliable for work, love this Platinum @ 123,000 miles and don't want to give it up. Have replaced tires twice. No other repairs other than regular maintenance.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #27

We bought two cars in 2009--planned to buy a new Prius (We've saved so much on gas; OMG) a gently used Camry for DS when my Volvo that was supposed to be his car nearly caught on fire and died a most painful auto death. DH has a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan--there are times a big vehicle is really really useful, also bought gently used. I would not buy a brand new vehicle again, but we could not find a used Prius LOL.

Parked next to a black Lamborghini 2 days ago. I am not impressed with a car I could run over because it's so low to the ground and black--nearly didn't see it. Not only that, it costs 3 years of living expenses. One Lamborghini could pay for two college educations or about 15 cruises. It's wheels folks. If you can afford that kind of vehicle, impressive, if that what impresses you. Me, not so much. I just would choose to use that kind of money elsewhere. Perhaps a PhD for DS or who knows what.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #28

Let's see - my previous car was a 91 caprice station wagon I paid $600 for. Planned to trick it out, but never did. Rebuilt the engine and did body work. Never got it out of primer, but it ran nicely. Used it for the days I didn't ride my bike the two miles to work.

DWs car hit the point it was too expensive to maintain, and we were still paying BS's ( beloved son) college out of our paycheck, so we found her a new 2009 Nissan Versa with a stick. Cheap and fun to drive. Still have the Versa. Sold the Chevy, and bought the 2012 GMC Sierra 3500 crew Cab, 4x4 DRW with the Duramax Turbo diesel so I can haul the 2013 truck camper.

Next year I want to replace the Nissan with a Tesla. Still working on DW about that...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #29

Bought back to back new Hyndai Azeras. Good quality (as good as Toyotas although that isn't saying much these days), 10 year warranty, and good pricing - a trifecta! There's a good reason why Hyndai has been moving up the ladder, 6th from the list above.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My normal beater for work is 93 Volvo w/ 230 k. In 96 a paid 6 grand and still with us.

About 4 years a bought my retirement car a 98 Volvo T5 stick with 90K for 3,200, and
I expect this to be my last car. I do 95% of services and they are like my children.

If you intent to keep a car for a long time make sure that your car has a dip stick on the transmission. They are becoming a thing of the past!!!
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Just replaced my 2005 Jetta TDI with 165K on it. Sold it for $6,500 privately.

Bought this (2014 Pasat TDI SE - Opera Red Metallic with beige interior) Currently getting 44+ MPG @ Texas highway speeds:

red Passat.jpg
Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
We only put about 7K on cars in total, and that was including 2 long trips last year. I'm thinking this year it will be closer to 10K with more trips.
Just a side note:
I keep reading comments like this, and it always makes me scratch my head.

I've averaged around 24,000 miles a year on my car for the last 30-40 years, and that has seemed perfectly normal. Before we got married, DW averaged around 20,000 miles on hers.

In the last two years, my mileage has dropped drastically, so now I'm only putting on about 20,000 a year.

Is my mileage so ridiculously high, or are there others who do the same? I'm really curious.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Bought this (2014 Pasat TDI SE - Opera Red Metallic with beige interior) Currently getting 44+ MPG @ Texas highway speeds:

Attachment 20375
Nice looking car and you sure can't beat that mileage. Think the best I get is 30-31 highway with the 2004 vette. My truck gets 11-12 city.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just a side note:

I've averaged around 24,000 miles a year on my car for the last 30-40 years, and that has seemed perfectly normal. Before we got married, DW averaged around 20,000 miles on hers.

In the last two years, my mileage has dropped drastically, so now I'm only putting on about 20,000 a year.

Is my mileage so ridiculously high, or are there others who do the same? I'm really curious.
While working we used to drive and travel so much for 40 years that as soon as we retired we decided the last thing we wanted to do was travel. After 2 1/2 years that feeling hasn't gone away so that is why my mileage stays around 5000 a year. It certainly helps with my travel, or lack of it for retirement budgeting!! I almost never get on a plane either!!
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Nice looking car and you sure can't beat that mileage. Think the best I get is 30-31 highway with the 2004 vette. My truck gets 11-12 city.
Thanks, the new clean diesels are really high tech and this one comes with a Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) (most TDI's do these days).

I pondered on a used Vette, but DW wanted a car that will fit better with our (her?) lifestyle. Maybe if the market is kind to me a used Vette may be in the cards some day.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just a side note:

I don't get it either. My annual average car mileage since I retired has been 3600 miles. This is probably because everything a human being could possibly ever need, is within 5 miles of my house.

Because my mileage is so low, I have been worried about losing my driving capabilities so I am intentionally driving even when I don't need to go anywhere. I regularly take Frank on a long pleasure drive at least four times a week. But no results.

I probably need to take it out on the interstate during those pleasure drives, instead of enjoying residential streets where the speed limit is low. However, I detest all the traffic on the interstate, especially during rush hour.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Our driving hasn't slowed down much as DW still somehow covers 15,000 miles per year and she is retired 5 years. I have been averaging about 24,000 miles per year. We do take driving vacations and have been to North Carolina a few times and Wisconsin three times in the last 5 years.

After 35+ years of a steady diet of air travel for business, I have little desire to hop on another jam packed airplane.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Thanks, the new clean diesels are really high tech and this one comes with a Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) (most TDI's do these days).

I pondered on a used Vette, but DW wanted a car that will fit better with our (her?) lifestyle. Maybe if the market is kind to me a used Vette may be in the cards some day.
I enjoy our trucks and vettes. They are all fun to drive.......and they're all fast. lol
Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #39

Quote:
my mileage so ridiculously high, or are there others who do the same? I'm really curious.
When I worked, our milage was lower. I worked at home and didn't get a chance to travel for pleasure much.

Now that I'm retired, we're going places. The car we purchased last year racked up over 25,000 miles on it in 12 months. Carpe diem!
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Attachment 20375
Do you like these diesels for economy or some other advantage? Some years back I was doing high mileage driving and had a couple Rabbit Diesels. They were cheap on fuels, but overall kind of a pita. I have heard that the new VW diesels are excellent.

Ha