Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

DH has a 10 year old Ford F150 with 60k miles on it and I have a Lexus IS convertible. Both bought new as I hate unreliable cars. Won't buy new again though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I regularly take Frank on a long pleasure drive at least four times a week. But no results.
Well, I guess one expects pleasure from a pleasure drive. Keep trying!

Ha

Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In the last two years, my mileage has dropped drastically, so now I'm only putting on about 20,000 a year.

Is my mileage so ridiculously high, or are there others who do the same? I'm really curious.

when commuting for w*rk, I was doing 20k+/yr. Now I do less than 5k and that is split on two vehicles. I suspect at this burn rate they will outlive me.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
After 35+ years of a steady diet of air travel for business, I have little desire to hop on another jam packed airplane.
I hear ya and we can fly for free but don't. We are heading back to the SW from the upper mid west at the end of the week in our '07 baby Mercedes which so far has been flawless.

I have to say most late model car interiors look cheap. I absolutely hate the plastic brushed aluminum used by just about every manufacture.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #45

We lived close to work about 5 miles away, sometime my work was 17 miles away. Other times I worked from home. So in a year I would do 11,000 miles. DW would do about 5,000.
Now that we are retired there is less need to go out and everything is within 2-3 miles. Heck yesterday I walked the 2 miles to return a redbox movie and 2 miles back, it was nice.
While on a trip, I can easily drive 600 miles in 1 day, but that's freeway driving, not traffic jams. I hate traffic jams, so I avoid driving too much around town on weekends when all the working folks are running around to shop
Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you like these diesels for economy or some other advantage? Some years back I was doing high mileage driving and had a couple Rabbit Diesels. They were cheap on fuels, but overall kind of a pita. I have heard that the new VW diesels are excellent.

Ha
Night and day between the early Rabbit diesels and these new ones.

New ones are turbocharged and have lots of low end torque.

New ones are 1,000 times cleaner (the 2009 Jetta TDI won Green Car of the Year Award).

Quieter...you can't even hear the engine as the traditional engine knock is tuned out with better, very high pressure injection and multi-phase injectors.

Way more efficient than a traditional gasoline engine due to diesel having more energy per pound than gasoline.

No diesel fuel odors with the extremely high fuel pressure (common rail) injection.

You can have a full size ride with 40+ MPG and it's not like driving a kitchen appliance, like a Prius.

Diesel is the engine of choice in most other countries.

The Passat I bought is American made in the new (2012 built) plant in Tennessee. Plus, I get about 800 miles to a tank of fuel (18 gallons).

These are very sophisticated machines and a pleasure to drive. Note all the Mercedes and Audi diesel offerings (and BMW).
Old 11-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #47

The mileage thing... For us, just a matter of age and not really wanting to drive.
The days of cruising and just enjoying the scenery have turned into, "been there, done that". We just go where we have to. Don't do driving at night, and living in a semi rural area, no heavy traffic. Example.. from house to the lake, 27 miles, have driven it and passed less that 10 cars going in the other direction. As to our place in Florida, didn't go last year, and will ride down with DIL when we return this year.
No problem with driving... reaction times etc., but just not really fun anymore, except for dragging youngsters with the Caddy... Never when DW's in the car.

For car buffs who might not have had the joy of automobilia in the early years, try this...
Fwd: For Car Buffs...this is good
Our second car in the early years was the '60 Chrysler Valiant (shown in the link, and the same color)... Our first real love.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #48

This year we have started to break up long drives, I now set an arbitrary limit of about 600 miles and then we stop for the night. Previously I would just push through until we rolled into our destination at 2 am.

The breaking up a trip has made the trip better. I get to drive in daytime so can see stuff, and view traffic conditions miles up the road, less worries about deer jumping in front of the car. Plus we get to stop at a quick attraction/site/antique store along the way.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

"I still like Porsches, but the Alfa deserves a look based on price/performance."

I think Porsches and Alfas are both pretty cool!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

New ones are 1,000 times cleaner (the 2009 Jetta TDI won Green Car of the Year Award).

Quieter...you can't even hear the engine as the traditional engine knock is tuned out with better, very high pressure injection and multi-phase injectors.

Way more efficient than a traditional gasoline engine due to diesel having more energy per pound than gasoline.

No diesel fuel odors with the extremely high fuel pressure (common rail) injection.

You can have a full size ride with 40+ MPG and it's not like driving a kitchen appliance, like a Prius.

The Passat I bought is American made in the new (2012 built) plant in Tennessee. Plus, I get about 800 miles to a tank of fuel (18 gallons).

These are very sophisticated machines and a pleasure to drive. Note all the Mercedes and Audi diesel offerings (and BMW).
Thanks Aja, you have addressed my questions nicely.

Ha
Old 11-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

For car buffs who might not have had the joy of automobilia in the early years, try this...
Fwd: For Car Buffs...this is good
Our second car in the early years was the '60 Chrysler Valiant (shown in the link, and the same color)... Our first real love.
Thanks for the fun quiz. Didn't do very well, but loved the history lesson.

I'm old enough to recall a lot of car technology coming of age (alternators, for instance). I still recall the switch from 6 volt to 12 volt systems. (Bummer trying to start a 6 volt with a 12 volt battery, but it can be done if you have a willing helper - who isn't afraid to die - Who was afraid back in HS, heh, heh?)

I recall the terrible decision to go with "flow through" ventilation instead of the old "vent wings". Those vent wings were the next best thing to AC (back when AC was for "rich" folks.) Also, it made it a lot easier to break into your car when you left your keys inside (or when my dad did, anyway.)

I used to be able to find a curb and use it for my "jack" to crawl under a car to change the starter motor or solenoid.

But I digress, again.

Between our 3 cars (one on the mainland), I think we did 10K last year. So, new cars make no sense. Still, if I bought a new car it would probably be some kind or sports car (5 speed) like a Miata. If I still lived on the mainland, I would actually consider another Vette. I can afford it now (if I don't ask DW). I'd never try to work on it like I did (and could) on my old '69 back in the day. Sigh, we get old too soon.

Average age of our 3 cars is now 15+ years. When the time comes to replace a car, I'll likely go with a 10 year old Honda or Toyota (hoping that's old enough to have limited electronics - don't like the stuff and just paranoid enough to think it's a good way to collect "data" on us.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Like Hybrids, the diesel does not pay for the extra cost with the fuel savings for the vast majority of people...
Old 11-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Like Hybrids, the diesel does not pay for the extra cost with the fuel savings for the vast majority of people...
True, and for many diesel drivers, it's not about fuel savings at all.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #54

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #55

Patience....learning how to edit with the mobile app!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 11-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Last week, I traded my wife's 2007 Camry for a new 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT pickup. First new truck I've ever owned, but have had a few used ones. Now that I'm retired I will be doing a lot of fishing and need a good truck to drag a boat around Louisiana and Texas. I expect to keep this truck for a long time. Good chance it could be the last one I'll ever buy. Sticker was $38,900 but I paid $28,000.plus the trade, minus tt&l so bottom line is I now owe $26,000. Will decide in January whether to pay it off or make payments at 3.5%.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new truck!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #58
Administrator

Good deal on that new truck, Martyb! It sounds like a perfect choice for a retirement/fishing/boating truck too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the subject of new trucks - I was so disappointed to discover that manual transmission is no longer available as an option. I guess I will continue to drive my 28 year old F-150 until forced to make the change, sigh.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
On the subject of new trucks - I was so disappointed to discover that manual transmission is no longer available as an option. I guess I will continue to drive my 28 year old F-150 until forced to make the change, sigh.
My dad said something similar in the 80's when he could no longer buy a new car without a radio. He got over it.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote