Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
On the subject of new trucks - I was so disappointed to discover that manual transmission is no longer available as an option. I guess I will continue to drive my 28 year old F-150 until forced to make the change, sigh.
I think manual transmissions might soon be a memory from the past. I learned to drive on one, but that was a half century ago. I had a stick shift car back in 1984, but could it be that they are becoming rarer and rarer in recent years? Maybe that's just my perception. I do prefer an automatic for me, at this age. As a teenager, driving a stick shift was such a thrill.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think manual transmissions might soon be a memory from the past.
Maybe in the US, but not in Europe. Standard transmissions are still the standard there.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think manual transmissions might soon be a memory from the past.
+1

According to this, less than 4% of the cars sold in the US have manual transmissions. That's down from 29% in 1987.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Manual transmission is more than sentimental for me. I travel to wild places as my avatar implies. The ability to bump start has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #65

Quote:
I travel to wild places as my avatar implies. The ability to bump start has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.
You'll need to be more innovative...like these guys

Old 11-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You'll need to be more innovative...like these guys
Ah yes, but that would only work with manual transmission.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We downsized to one car over a year ago. No issues but we are close to good public transportation.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Ah yes, but that would only work with manual transmission.
Right.

I give up. You're screwed.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

We are moving towards Direct Shift Gearboxes (DSGs):

Twin Clutch (DSG) Transmission - What It Is and How It Works

"The twin clutch/DSG is a development of the sequential manual transmission (SMT), which is essentially a fully-automated manual transmission with a computer-controlled clutch, intended to deliver stick-shift performance with automatic convenience. The advantage of an SMT is that it uses a solid coupling (the clutch), which provides a direct connection between engine and transmission and allows 100% of the engine's power to be transmitted to the wheels. (Traditional automatics use a fluid coupling called a torque converter, which allows some slippage.) The chief drawback of the SMT is the same as that of a manual: In order to change gears, the engine and transmission must be disconnected, interrupting the flow of power."

vw_dsg_cutaway_lg.jpg
Old 11-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Right.

I give up. You're screwed.
Macguyver would have a back-up plan.
I noticed on my Honda CR-V (with auto trans) that the engine could be turned over with an impact wrench (and appropriate socket), inserted through a port in the wheel well - just like indy.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Macguyver would have a back-up plan.
I noticed on my Honda CR-V (with auto trans) that the engine could be turned over with an impact wrench (and appropriate socket), inserted through a port in the wheel well - just like indy.
Yep, just make sure you have an air (or power) supply and crank it in the right direction.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #72

Quote:
I think manual transmissions might soon be a memory from the past. I learned to drive on one, but that was a half century ago. I had a stick shift car back in 1984, but could it be that they are becoming rarer and rarer in recent years? Maybe that's just my perception. I do prefer an automatic for me, at this age. As a teenager, driving a stick shift was such a thrill.
I had this one friend bug me about driving one of our older vettes. We were having pics taken of the cars in the backyard and I gave him the keys to my '71 to bring it out. He came back and handed me the keys and said "It's a stick, I can't drive that." I forget that most of my friends that are my age, never drove stick. We have older friends that are giving up their antique and classic cars because they can't drive stick any more.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #73

It wasn't till 2005 that I got my first non-stick-shift car (a hybrid - so variable transmission). I strongly prefer stick shift.

And as mentioned - it's the standard (along with diesel) in Europe.

As far as annual mileage. My car (which is used for road trip vacations and was my commuter) was logging about 10k miles/year... a little less. I lived close to work (although it was a horrid, traffic filled drive.)

My husband's truck has about 5k miles put on it/year.

But we tend to bundle car errands, combine close errands with walking the dog, etc... so we don't hop in the car for things like returning library books.

Our biggest mileage adder is the days we drive the kids to school (vs the school bus)... That's a 20 mile round trip. We try to limit it to 5 trips max/week... and make them ride the bus the remainder. We have to on days they have after school activities due to timing.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #74

I love sticks. I hate driving, but when I have to I want a manual transmission. Our car purchase history includes:

82 Nissan Sentra - 5 speed manual
87 Dodge Caravan - 5 speed manual (that's right! a Manual transmission in a mini-van.)
92 Geo Metro - 5 speed manual
96 Mercury Sable - Auto
2002 Hyundai Sonata - Auto
2002 Hyundai Elantra - 5 speed manual
2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring - Auto

Guess which cars were DW's!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #75

After having 2 trucks with sticks, I wanted to get a stick when I bought my vette 13 years ago. But it didn't feel right. The vette stick is a lot shorter than most sticks. So I bought the automatic. But I wish I would have bought the stick now.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Probably 3/4 of the cars and trucks I have owned since 1961 were manual transmission. I still prefer them and my last diesel was just that (5 speed). But the traffic here is getting atrocious and I went with the DSG this time. (plus DW can drive it - she hasn't yet and it has 5,000 miles on it)

I can put it in manual mode and shift it like a manual with out a clutch, but it's not the same (it shifts faster with the dual electronic clutch).

I suppose manuals will be around in the U.S. for at least another decade, but they are getting harder to find.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #77

If all cars were manual, there would be less texting going on in traffic.
I get automatics just in case DW has to drive my car. My current one has one of those fake manual shifts on it, but its not the same so I don't even use it.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Like Hybrids, the diesel does not pay for the extra cost with the fuel savings for the vast majority of people...
It usually takes quite a while (5-10 yrs) but most articles I've seen suggest most hi mpg hybrids and diesels do pay for most buyers. And as noted earlier, it's not always solely about fuel break even anyway.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #79

Having been a performance car lover over most of my life, I used to look at any performance car with an automatic with disdain, but now the auto trans are so good, I'm looking at it the other way.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It usually takes quite a while (5-10 yrs) but most articles I've seen suggest most hi mpg hybrids and diesels do pay for most buyers. And as noted earlier, it's not always solely about fuel break even anyway.

I remember someone here posting a calculation by some org that showed how many miles you would have to drive to break even... some cars never made it to break even.... IIRC, most were over 100K miles...

Agreed that it is not always for mileage.... There are many people who buy midsized cars with a 6 cyl even though the 4 cyl cars are plenty powerful today.... seems to be a waste of money upfront and every time you fill up...