New Car

Probably 3/4 of the cars and trucks I have owned since 1961 were manual transmission. I still prefer them and my last diesel was just that (5 speed). But the traffic here is getting atrocious and I went with the DSG this time. (plus DW can drive it - she hasn't yet and it has 5,000 miles on it):confused:

I can put it in manual mode and shift it like a manual with out a clutch, but it's not the same (it shifts faster with the dual electronic clutch).

I suppose manuals will be around in the U.S. for at least another decade, but they are getting harder to find.

If all cars were manual, there would be less texting going on in traffic.
I get automatics just in case DW has to drive my car. My current one has one of those fake manual shifts on it, but its not the same so I don't even use it.

Like Hybrids, the diesel does not pay for the extra cost with the fuel savings for the vast majority of people...
It usually takes quite a while (5-10 yrs) but most articles I've seen suggest most hi mpg hybrids and diesels do pay for most buyers. And as noted earlier, it's not always solely about fuel break even anyway.

Last edited:
Having been a performance car lover over most of my life, I used to look at any performance car with an automatic with disdain, but now the auto trans are so good, I'm looking at it the other way.

It usually takes quite a while (5-10 yrs) but most articles I've seen suggest most hi mpg hybrids and diesels do pay for most buyers. And as noted earlier, it's not always solely about fuel break even anyway.

I remember someone here posting a calculation by some org that showed how many miles you would have to drive to break even... some cars never made it to break even.... IIRC, most were over 100K miles...

Agreed that it is not always for mileage.... There are many people who buy midsized cars with a 6 cyl even though the 4 cyl cars are plenty powerful today.... seems to be a waste of money upfront and every time you fill up...

Anybody else finding that this thread and the other car thread are encouraging them to think of new cars they really, really don't need? Yikes. In my spare time, lately I find myself browsing edmunds. com and the car section of the consumer reports website.

But I only have 18,000 miles on my 2009 Venza and it is a great car! I don't need another car. Ridiculous. New cars are so alluring, even when not needed. I find myself looking at all kinds of other vehicles, large or small, cheap or expensive.

Anybody else finding that this thread and the other car thread are encouraging them to think of new cars they really, really don't need? Yikes. In my spare time, lately I find myself browsing edmunds. com and the car section of the consumer reports website.

But I only have 18,000 miles on my 2009 Venza and it is a great car! I don't need another car. Ridiculous. New cars are so alluring, even when not needed. I find myself looking at all kinds of other vehicles, large or small, cheap or expensive.

I just bought a new 2104 VW Passat (leftover) and plan to keep it until I am not allowed to drive anymore. Last (planned) car...got it for a great discount off dealer invoice. I bought used cars all my life and this is certainly a departure. But it has a great warranty and I currently drive over 20,000 miles per year.

Whether or not you buy new, used, take the train, ride a bicycle or motorcycle. etc. depends on your personal situation and outlook on how you want to spend your dollars on transportation.

Anybody else finding that this thread and the other car thread are encouraging them to think of new cars they really, really don't need? Yikes. In my spare time, lately I find myself browsing edmunds. com and the car section of the consumer reports website....

It is really pushing me to buy a van, I'm thinking to modify it slightly for camping. Thing is, we could not go camping for the next few months as snow is starting to fall, unless we drive 2,000 miles or so.....

So really to be efficient, I don't need to buy the van until March, but I'm ready to do it now.

Anybody else finding that this thread and the other car thread are encouraging them to think of new cars they really, really don't need?.........

Nah, I'm a car gal and we always need another car. LOL If we hadn't run out of garage space we'd have more.

Last edited by a moderator:
We always buy what you would call the "lost leader" you know the car that is listed only (1) available. Last year we got a 2013 Ford F140 4x4 loaded for $20,400 plus tax. That was one of the best deals we ever got. A brand new truck. Of course we have owned over 100 cars over 35 years of marriage. Some project cars to resell. Some used. My DH is the car buying professional. We always buy a new car with at least 30% equity built in by buying the "lost leader".

Anybody else finding that this thread and the other car thread are encouraging them to think of new cars they really, really don't need?

No, not really. We just bought a new Honda Accord Sport last December and I hope that will last 15+years. The GMC pickup runs fine, no issues, so we're not the least bit tempted.

I am finding that keeping them garaged makes a world of difference. The truck is 12 years old and looks like it was delivered yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like a great car for another LBYM'r. :LOL:

:facepalm:
We always buy what you would call the "lost leader" you know the car that is listed only (1) available. Last year we got a 2013 Ford F140 4x4 loaded for $20,400 plus tax. That was one of the best deals we ever got. A brand new truck. Of course we have owned over 100 cars over 35 years of marriage. Some project cars to resell. Some used. My DH is the car buying professional. We always buy a new car with at least 30% equity built in by buying the "lost leader".

Maybe it was cheaper because it was an F140 and not an F150, lol :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom