Join Early Retirement Today

New Car
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Car

FYI...
a comparison of new car sales, so far in 2014.

America's favorite subject.
So:
Buy old, Buy new?
Style... Sedan, Van, Truck, other?
Make?
Why?

And... If I had my druthers?.....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting ... And God bless capitalism. Considering that each of those logos has about 5 models and each model has a pile of variations...what a plethora of choices. Very cool.

I did this drill about six mos ago. Go tired of fixing my 7 year old BMW (so unreliable) and bought a 1 year old Acura TL coming off of a fleet lease with about 7k miles on it. Got it with a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty for about $34-35k. Almost 20% below the original price and with a longer warranty.

My own bias it to buy slightly used, nice cars. The BMW was the only new car I ever owned -- I'd always wanted s BMW and went for it. Loved driving it but I will NEVER own a BMW out of bumper-to-bumper warranty again. My wife's minivan was also new but we're on Year 11 and still rolling...

Within reason, I think you can buy sort of whatever you want as long as you drive it for 7+ years and amortize the cost. The people who flip cars endlessly are the ones who get killed. (Fell into that trap young and thankfully learned.)

Old 11-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post

Within reason, I think you can buy sort of whatever you want as long as you drive it for 7+ years and amortize the cost. The people who flip cars endlessly are the ones who get killed. (Fell into that trap young and thankfully learned.)
I agree that the key is keeping the cars long-term. I have a bias toward new simply because when I watch the way that most people drive it looks like their goal is to destroy their cars as quickly as possible. We currently have a 12 year old Hyundai Elantra with 104K miles and a 5 year Elantra Touring with 19K miles. Amortized cost for the 12 year old (including purchase price, maintenance and repairs but not fuel and insurance) is on the order of $1200/year. Current ongoing ownership cost (Insurance, registration, inspections, oil change) is about $400/year for the 12 year old and $500/year for the 5 year old. Fuel and maintenance costs are less than $1000/year for both cars combined (our total miles for both cars will be about 7000 miles this year and that includes a round trip to Denver from Northern Virginia.

I've never seen the point of spending more than the minimum necessary for a reliable car (with the exception of the buying new vs. used argument) and I don't see a replacement purchase in the near future with fewer than 4000 miles per year being put on each vehicle. We are more likely to just cut back to single car ownership if the older car becomes unreliable.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Evidently Smart has not lived up to it's name...

Interesting to see Tesla is already outselling some other prestige marques.

As for buying new vs used, one brand vs another, there is no "right answer" - that's why there are so many choices.

And of course worldwide sales are considerably different than the US.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #5

Speaking of cars has anyone seen the 2015 SS Chevy Impala......SHARP.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
America's favorite subject.
So:
Buy old, Buy new? Style... Sedan, Van, Truck, other?
Make?
Why?

And... If I had my druthers?.....
All of the above? If I was shopping for another vehicle, I'd buy whatever appealed to me at the time as long as I could get in and out of it without a ladder. It also can't be too low, because I am in my 60's and that just doesn't work for me. Easy access cargo space would be nice, as well as a good repair record. I prefer buying new.

"If I had my druthers", I'd be able to get a simple vehicle without so much electronics; one that isn't always telling me what to do and acting like a "nanny car". I'd gladly pay through the nose for such a vehicle, although actually I don't think this type of vehicle is even made at all any more at any price. Perhaps I could minimize the nanny aspects by choosing something cheap and bare bones. If I was mechanically inclined, I could get a 40 year old car and deal with it that way, but I'm not.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the one I'm about to pull the trigger on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #8

Wow Serie what is it?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by serie1926 View Post
It was sold...
Old 11-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Serie-ously? Sharp rig. Could increase your WR above 4% though.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

"Wow Serie what is it?"

New Lamborghini Huracan.

"Serie-ously? Sharp rig. Could increase your WR above 4% though."

Thanks! Yes, will order when I sell my Lamborghini Gallardo. We have a telecom next week with our financial planner to ensure wont effect plans for retirement in 3 years

Current Gallardo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (518.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #12

We buy new and keep them "forever" until it doesn't make sense to fix it anymore. The GMC pickup is 12 years old, 90k miles, Honda Accord is new, 14k miles, Suzuki motorcycle is 5 years old, has 25k miles. Last year I didn't ride much, hope to make up for it next year.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
New Lamborghini Huracan.
Nice, but I'd better wait until I read the review in Consumer Reports. Odd that they haven't covered it yet.

More seriously, that's an awesome machine. Have tons of fun in it!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

"We buy new and keep them "forever" until it doesn't make sense to fix it anymore. The GMC pickup is 12 years old, 90k miles, Honda Accord is new, 14k miles, Suzuki motorcycle is 5 years old, has 25k miles. Last year I didn't ride much, hope to make up for it next year."

Us too. Here's a shot of my 10 year old Toyota (had since new) just about to cross the 156k mile mark. I sure hope we can get 300k out of her. My wife's IS350 is 9 years old and at 95k miles.

"Nice, but I'd better wait until I read the review in Consumer Reports. Odd that they haven't covered it yet."

Haha

"More seriously, that's an awesome machine. Have tons of fun in it!"

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (479.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #15

Quote:
"Wow Serie what is it?"

New Lamborghini Huracan.

"Serie-ously? Sharp rig. Could increase your WR above 4% though."

Thanks! Yes, will order when I sell my Lamborghini Gallardo. We have a telecom next week with our financial planner to ensure wont effect plans for retirement in 3 years

Current Gallardo.
If you like Lambo's you might appreciate the new Alfa Romeo 4C, it would certainly be more ER budget friendly. http://www.firstvehicleleasing.co.uk...a-Romeo-4C.jpg

I still like Porsches, but the Alfa deserves a look based on price/performance.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

As a side note (not trying to steal the thread) my wife and I decided to go down to one vehicle, there has been maybe 1 or 2 times in the last two years we could have possibly used 2 cars, we ended up just going together......anyone else down to one car? (It is just the wife and I, no kids etc.)
Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #17

I'm not much for buying new, but the DW does like the new cars, so I get the "hand me downs". I currently drive an '09 Infiniti with about 75K miles on it...and still drives like it's brand new. I do love that car and would like to hang on to it for as long as possible and with me averaging about 5K miles a year, it should be a while.

The DW has a Toyo Highlander that she really likes, but I am not so much a fan. All the Tupperware in the interior squeaks like mad as did the windshield. I took it to Toyo 3 times to have the windshield addressed, but it continued to squeak until it cracked and finally replaced. I just can't hold Toyota to such high regard as I once did.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
Very interesting ...

Go[t] tired of fixing my 7 year old BMW (so unreliable) and bought a 1 year old Acura TL coming off of a fleet lease with about 7k miles on it. Got it with a 7 year bumper-to-bumper warranty for about $34-35k. Almost 20% below the original price and with a longer warranty....

My own bias it to buy slightly used, nice cars. The BMW was the only new car I ever owned -- I'd always wanted s BMW and went for it. Loved driving it but I will NEVER own a BMW out of bumper-to-bumper warranty again.
What an odd parallel. I too bought my first and only new car - also a BMW, also 7 years ago, for about $32K (a killer deal at the time with an MSRP of $46K). Unlike krotoole though, mine has been reliable as a stone. 135K miles and counting with the only repairs needed being the usual wear items (tires, shocks, brake pads, battery, various bushings, filters and fluids). Still runs great as fast as I dare go. Still gets 30 mpg at 80+ on the freeway. Hope I didn't just jinx it, but can't complain.

All that said, I'm enough of a frugal-nazi (and a decent enough shade tree mechanic) that this too will likely be my last new car.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
As a side note (not trying to steal the thread) my wife and I decided to go down to one vehicle, there has been maybe 1 or 2 times in the last two years we could have possibly used 2 cars, we ended up just going together......anyone else down to one car? (It is just the wife and I, no kids etc.)
We only put about 7K on cars in total, and that was including 2 long trips last year. I'm thinking this year it will be closer to 10K with more trips.
I've brought up the idea of 1 vehicle as we go everywhere together normally.
However, I'm thinking to replace an 11 yr old Sonata with a Van, so we will have more room to pack stuff on trips and be able to tow a small travel trailer.
Not sure we would want to drive a van all the time.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I get it, we decided on keeping our Subaru Forester, it was kind of a mix between the two you describe, IMHO....