Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New car, old car, same car?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, there comes a time to just say, "Can I afford it? Does it make me happy?" and pull the trigger.

...BTW, I'm laying the groundwork for rationalizing a Porsche Carrera convertible in ten years...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I figure if I'm still noodling it over after a week, i'm going to do it sooner or later. Might as well pull the trigger while the pricing is stupidly cheap.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CFB:

Since I'm pretty familiar with the used car market I'll just let you know that your Expedition is worth around half of what you think it's worth.

Just like you, nobody wants a gas guzzler these days.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps. In which case I'll wait until they do. Nobody wanted them last summer either, but that wore off after a couple of months.

Lots of people around here with boats, campers and farms. A 5.4L, HD trans option, class 3 towing, skid plate truck with < 50k miles on it will catch someones fancy...

Heck, the dealer offered me 8500 for it in trade. At anything below 11 I'd just keep it and see if I can find a use for it some day.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I looked around at other options, from mid to largish cars and mid size SUV options.* For something usable, the cheapest I came up with (new) was around 17k for a Scion xb or a honda element.* Both quite a bit smaller.* Much better mileage on the Scion but about the same with the element.* Both sorta weird looking but I like them.* Element is interesting as you can basically hose it out.* I'm betting resale on both of them sucks down the road.* I figured for an extra $4-5k I can get a lot more vehicle with solid resale 6-8 years from now.
I have two words for you: Mini. Van.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Quote:
Plus with the two rear seats (and a baby seat) in, theres not enough room for dogs. So I'd be taking the baby seat and the two rear seats out almost every day, and putting them back in almost every day :P :P :P
Haha! That is way too much work. When we have kids, they will be covered with dog hair just like we are.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #27

Yeah, my wife has wanted a CR-V for a while, but with the price difference of less than $2K it makes it much hard to choose between the Pilot and CR-V.

I'd love to wait until some "used" 2006 Pilots hit the market, but I always wonder why people are selling a 2006 vehicle with 10K miles. Makes me worried it was a lemon or problem vehicle.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I have two words for you: Mini. Van.
I have several word pairs for you.

Same. Mileage.

Lower. Resale.

Lower. Reliability.

Costs. More.

Both the odyssey and sienna get roughly the same mileage, have lower resale, lower reliability records, lower owner satisfaction, and oh yeah, theres that whole "you're driving a minivan" thing.

What problem were we trying to solve here?

Bill - dont bother with 1-2 year old hondas and toyotas. The depreciation is so weak you're practically paying new sticker on them. Granted theres probably more room to deal, i'd rather not save a grand or two and buy someone elses mystery problem. Different with a lot of other cars, but these two brands are not super worthwhile to buy used unless you've got one with at least 3-4 years of depreciation, and even then you might be surprised what people get for them.

I'm still going to be surprised if I actually GET the car for this price though, its pretty stupendous. Almost 2k under dealer invoice. For reference purposes, 5 years ago I bought my wife the rav4 for $400 more than the pilot is going to cost...granted her rav has leather, a sunroof and pretty much every other option on it, but the pilots equipment level is pretty good too.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Both the odyssey and sienna get roughly the same mileage, have lower resale, lower reliability records, lower owner satisfaction, and oh yeah, theres that whole "you're driving a minivan" thing.
The Pilot gets 28 to the gallon on the highway? I sincerely doubt it. I think the reliability is a wash (not likely different). Owner satisfaction? Dunno about you, but I only care about one owner's satisfaction: mine. Resale, well, you got me there. I generally keep vehicles forever, so I couldn't care less. Other than that, I can't help you the psychological issues (you are what you drive).

You wanna buy the pilot. Just do it and stop agonizing over it. We'll help you decide on your next toy when you get tired of one of the three remaining cars.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

No, its unachievable EPA highway is only 24, but the odyssey is only 25. According to CR and Edmunds, the "real world" gas mileage is the same. Probably because they're built on the same chassis with the same drive train. And the odyssey is rated #1 in gas mileage among minivans sold today.

According to consumer reports reliability ratings, the pilots reliability records are substantially better than the odyssey and sienna. But not quite as good as the highlander, although you're splitting some rather fine numbers at that point.

How other people rate the car does carry a message for me. When 80-something% of people who buy a car say they'll buy it again, vs 50-60% for another model, that tells me a little something.

I'm also sorry to break to you that I'm not at all what I drive, unless you're suggesting that I'm trying to correlate myself with a fairly benign, milktoast sort of middle of the road japanese SUV :

Now if I wanted to buy an excursion or a hummer and drive it by myself to work and back for a two hour a day commute, you're welcome to crap on me. Bugging on me for this is pretty stupid.

But if it makes you feel better, I did consider something like the Scion xb. Aside from not being able to put the family and dogs into it for a day trip to Tahoe or the Bay Area, something we do often, I'd save about 5 gallons of gas a month.

Wow, thats worth turning up the Liberal over...

By the way, werent you the guy that took a job with a long commute a year or two ago?

You must really hate america.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Wow, those psychological problems of yours must go deeper than I originally thought.

Enjoy your new SUV.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a lot of semantics.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
I'd love to wait until some "used" 2006 Pilots hit the market, but I always wonder why people are selling a 2006 vehicle with 10K miles.* Makes me worried it was a lemon or problem vehicle.*
Could be, but it's more likely that it's a problem with the owner's credit rating or bank account.* Or a new addition to the family.

Whenever we make a Craigslist buy we're amazed at how excited some sellers are to see us show up with cash. I've even learned to pull a couple $20s out of my pocket, hesitate, and say "Can I talk with you a minute?" to my spouse... that alone is good for a 10% discount.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Could be, but it's more likely that it's a problem with the owner's credit rating or bank account.* Or a new addition to the family.

Whenever we make a Craigslist buy we're amazed at how excited some sellers are to see us show up with cash.* I've even learned to pull a couple $20s out of my pocket, hesitate, and say "Can I talk with you a minute?" to my spouse... that alone is good for a 10% discount.
Cash is king, and people are far more willing to give you a better price than if you give a check or use a credit card. The former requires taking the risk of the check bouncing and the hassle of cashing it at a bank (fees, etc...), while the latter charges a merchant 5-6% for the "privilege" of accepting the card. Besides, with cash there's usually no electronic paper trail for the IRS to follow.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #35

Cash is not king in the Car Biz. Dealers are looking for the financing. They make money on every deal that goes through a bank. They still make the same amount on the car so they don't really want cash deals.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Cash is not king in the Car Biz.* Dealers are looking for the financing.* They make money on every deal that goes through a bank.* They still make the same amount on the car so they don't* really want cash deals.
Screw the dealers.

I'm talking about a place where the real money can be made-- the private customers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Cash is not king in the Car Biz.* Dealers are looking for the financing.* They make money on every deal that goes through a bank.* They still make the same amount on the car so they don't* really want cash deals.
I agree with you about cash and car dealers. In most other cases not involving financing, cash is a good idea.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #38

I love these kinds of posts. You had our mind made up before you posted...jsut wanted someone to help you justify it

I do the same!

good luck!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #39

Is that an AWD version of the Pilot, or 2wd for that price?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Bill - 2wd. Got it today. Just an LX, 2wd, no options. Even the base comes with power windows, locks, mirrors, ac, cruise, cd player, etc. I'll put some tire cords on it if we take it up to Tahoe rather than horse up another couple of grand and 1-2 mpg for the 4wd. If you go to the carsdirect web site, they'll give you the price on the 4wd without your giving any personal info.

Price was correct, $22,644, plus taxes, license and some ordinary DMV fees. Car was washed and full of gas when I got there, took about 45 minutes to get out the door. Paperwork was all ready to be signed.

And for the first time ever, I bought an extended warranty. 7 years, 85k miles for $745, bumper to bumper excepting wear items and maintenance. I can get all of that back if I change my mind within 60 days, and all but $25 of it back if I cancel before the 3 year regular warranty expires. Way cheaper than any other maintenance deals I've seen.

$25,299 out the door, with the warranty and sales tax included. Not bad.

Very smooth, very easy. Only problem was having to drive a couple of hundred miles round trip, but given that none of the local dealers were interested in coming near their price, well worth it. Apparently I'm not the nuttiest customer, cuz some guy drove down from Reno NV for a pilot. I'm guessing thats about a 10-12 hour round trip at best if you hit the traffic right.

Talked up the guy while I was there, he said he makes about $250-300 a car, mostly in advertising reimbursements and other miscellaneous kickbacks from the manufacturer. He and the other guy in the "internet/fleet" department move about 80 cars each a month, because they agree to the cut to the bone pricing, so they have a bit of a wide radius customer base.

Really funny/odd part...they bought the car from a dealer in Napa Valley, had a kid go pick it up and drive it down to the dealer I bought it at, which was in the San Fran east bay. Would have been shorter for me to drive to Napa myself and get it, but that dealer wouldnt sell it for that price. Neither would the one a mile and a half from my house, who had the identical car on the lot.

TheFed - yeah, you guys were just supposed to tell me to go for it, not fiddle with my rationalizations. Most of you got it right