Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New car, old car, same car?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

~$100K in new car purchases this year...and it's only May! CFB, thanks for doing your part to keep the economy humming right along.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Come on...its only about 85k!

We kept the old ones a while, and so far according to my overstuffed driveway...we're still keeping them... :P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
~$100K in new car purchases this year...and it's only May!* CFB, thanks for doing your part to keep the economy humming right along.
I'm sort of confused about CFB's "status".* Is he/she interested in E.R.?* Is he/she already F.I.?* Is he/she working/retired/other?

Just wondering, since it seems that he/she spends a lot of $$$, and a lot of time on this board!!!....

- Ron
Old 05-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

it took a while for someone to mistake me for a lady, and I didnt even have an appropriate picture to cajole the error

I'm a boy, I quit working 5 years ago as a single ER with a pretty good size portfolio made from the tech stock mania and california real estate, got married a couple of years ago and we had a hurricane baby.

My wife still works a couple of days a week in the medical field ("I went to school for a hundred years to do this, i'm going to do it!").

We actually DONT spend a lot of money. We average keeping cars about 7 years. We live in a modest middle class home in a modest middle class neighborhood. We dont travel to exotic places, since we live near about 50 of them that are a days drive away. We dont wear fancy clothes, we dont eat out, and we dont have any expensive hobbies. Our spending is well under $50k a year at the high water mark. A couple of years ago our total spending was around $24-25k for a year.

The "big spending" on cars this year is pretty simple: we have two old cars that smell like dog and one is continuing the fine american car trend of breaking down. My wifes never had a REALLY nice car and she works her butt off, so she got a new Lexus, which believe me...we'll own a long time. My 16 month old will probably learn how to drive in it. He's already practicing...his favorite thing is sitting in my lap in the car, tooting the horn and pushing ALL the buttons.

We'll probably own the Pilot for a good 7-10 years.

So no more car purchasing threads from me for quite some time...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
So no more car purchasing threads from me for quite some time...
Are you kidding? Your smiling mug is probably already posted on 8"x10" glossies all over the tri-state dealerships! I'm sure you'll be offered many more shopping opportunities over the coming months...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cars are my one splurge item, too. I plan on keeping this house for life, or at least until I retire and down size.

If I had CFB's net worth, I'd own a Porsche yesterday. I'm all about enjoying the finer things in life, I just know it's foolish to spend money you don't have. I bought the nicest car I could without impacting my retirement goals and not have to do any real financing (paid it off already), a Volvo S60, which I hope lasts me until I'm around 40, then I plan on getting my Carrera Cabriolet. San Diego is the place to have a convertible!
Old 05-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I had a porsche. Never again. Every other month its a trip to the mechanic, and everything that costs $50 on a regular car costs $500. Bearing in mind this was about 20 years ago and adjusting for inflation, two thousand bucks for a pair of mufflers...five hundred bucks for a spring. :P And I got so many BS tickets while driving it (speeding 57 in a 55, speeding 58 in a 55, "improper starting/stopping/turning" twice, etc) that I finally gave it up.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Are you kidding? Your smiling mug is probably already posted on 8"x10" glossies all over the tri-state dealerships! I'm sure you'll be offered many more shopping opportunities over the coming months...
Maybe. We'll see. Until I get rid of at least one of these driveway blockers, i'm out of room.

I might hear from one of the honda dealers, although they're pretty late to the game at this point. I dropped the two nearer ones emails to their "internet/fleet" department with the price I got from carsdirect to see if they would consider coming close enough to match it that I'd forget about that long drive. Neither one responded with an email or a phone call. It MUST be a pretty good price if they wont even try to talk me up from it.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a question for anyone who has recently bought a new car. We were at the dealer today to take care of some paper work. I told them we were paying cash. The salesperson gave me a credit form to fill out and I reminded him we were paying cash. He said he needed the form filled out so we put down our names and address and left the social security number blank. He said he need our social security number. I said I don't give it out. He said it was company policy. I said it was my policy not to give it out. Moreover, I told him, I didn't think he had a legal right to ask for it and I wanted to see the regulation that gave them the right to ask for it. At this point he asks if I want to see the manager.

The manager comes out and says that the Patriot Act requires it. That even if we came in with a bag of cash, they would need our social security number to run against a database to verify that we were who we said we were. At this point, having spent a half hour on this and knowing that my government is data mining my telephone records and reading my emails I said okay, and gave it to them.

After a little internet searching I think I was within my rights not to give it to them. I would like to hear from others on this.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In NY state any cash transaction over 10K must be reported to the Gov. by the dealer.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tuttle
The manager comes out and says that the Patriot Act requires it.* That even if we came in with a bag of cash, they would need our social security number to run against a database to verify that we were who we said we were.* At this point, having spent a half hour on this and knowing that my government is data mining my telephone records and reading my emails I said okay, and gave it to them.*

After a little internet searching I think I was within my rights not to give it to them.* I would like to hear from others on this.
It's part of the "know your customer" provision of the Patriot Act, although they seem to be implementing it in the most customer-offensive manner possible. *You gave them your ex-girlfriend's SSN, right?

As for being within your rights, you seem to have a choice between your desire for privacy and your desire to own a new car. *Maybe they were having second thoughts about the price you'd negotiated...

I'm curious about the medium of exchange-- was it a literally a pile of paper currency, or a cashier's check? *I wonder if they were concerned about being stuck with counterfeit bills or a cash transaction of more than $10K.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I've always been asked to fill in "just the top little part" of a credit form even when buying a car for cash, even before the patriot act.

The reason given is that they wanted to do a credit check to make sure I'm not a scumbag that writes bad checks...oh yeah, in my case it was always a personal check, not a wad of cash.

I didnt really see the harm in it, but then again, almost everything makes ya wanna think twice these days.

Anyone notice yet the little forms your dentist and doctor have you sign that lets you know that they share your medical records with the govt now?

What the f--k does the government need my dental records for?

By the way, according to experian, the dealer did in fact do a credit check on me.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It's part of the "know your customer" provision of the Patriot Act, although they seem to be implementing it in the most customer-offensive manner possible. You gave them your ex-girlfriend's SSN, right?
Good idea, but no, my wife and I gave them the real numbers.

Quote:
As for being within your rights, you seem to have a choice between your desire for privacy and your desire to own a new car. Maybe they were having second thoughts about the price you'd negotiated...
I had two other internet quotes for the same price and I briefly entertained the idea of going to one of the other dealers. My past history on things like that is I screw myself. I hope I got a decent deal. When the finance manger saw the price he said, "You must have beat them pretty hard, this is less than what I would have to pay." I imagine they say that to everybody to make them feel good.

Quote:

I'm curious about the medium of exchange-- was it a literally a pile of paper currency, or a cashier's check? I wonder if they were concerned about being stuck with counterfeit bills or a cash transaction of more than $10K.
Personal check.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I've always been asked to fill in "just the top little part" of a credit form even when buying a car for cash, even before the patriot act.

The reason given is that they wanted to do a credit check to make sure I'm not a scumbag that writes bad checks...oh yeah, in my case it was always a personal check, not a wad of cash.

I didnt really see the harm in it, but then again, almost everything makes ya wanna think twice these days.

Anyone notice yet the little forms your dentist and doctor have you sign that lets you know that they share your medical records with the govt now?

By the way, according to experian, the dealer did in fact do a credit check on me.
Just in case of overbite!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know why they wanted mine when I was flying for them--it kinda sobered me up. In our initial flight physical they got a footprint, too.
"What do you need this for?"
"Sometimes all we get back is a boot with a foot in it."
Actually, military flying is not nearly as dangerous as lots of other pursuits.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Now i'm pissed AND alarmed...why is the government putting together a program to identify my body?!?

(I think i'm laughing)
Old 05-17-2006, 01:29 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tuttle
When the finance manger saw the price he said, "You must have beat them pretty hard, this is less than what I would have to pay." I imagine they say that to everybody to make them feel good.
Yup. TH has mentioned that you only got a good deal when they give you the look that says they know you poisoned their dog but they can't prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
I know why they wanted mine when I was flying for them--it kinda sobered me up.* In our initial flight physical they got a footprint, too.
* *"What do you need this for?"
* *"Sometimes all we get back is a boot with a foot in it."*
Actually, military flying is not nearly as dangerous as lots of other pursuits.*
Let's not forget that our DNA is on file, too!

If I ever lose control of my mental faculties someday, I hope I start babbling all that highly classified & compartmented knowledge that I'm not supposed to remember that I forgot.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I know I have a good deal when I know what the invoice is and what all the rebates and incentives are, and i'm looking at $-55 as a net and seeing over $2000 below invoice. And the dealer is getting his profit from advertising fees paid by the manufacturer...and the $60 worth of gas he put in the car has eaten up a chunk of that.

Hell, I took six bottles of water out of his fridge on the way out for the ride home. That may have tipped the deal to the negative.

But yeah, they tell everyone they're "the toughest guy they ever negotiated with" or that they "got the best deal they've ever seen". Thats because the finance manager is about to make a pure profit pack by selling you an overpriced warranty, fabric protection, paint protection, an alarm, a lojack, etc...they want to soften you up and see if they can get you to spend based on your newfound largesse.

When they just glare at you, ya done good. When they dont really try to sell you anything else, you've done very well.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Well, we've had it almost a week and we're liking it. Only thing I miss about the expedition is being able to pop open the rear tailgate window to drop something in or take something out...pilot requires the whole liftgate be opened. And due to the slightly smaller rear cargo area, I had to toss some of my 'haul around stuff' out of the back to make enough room for groceries and other random purchases.

Its smooth, competent, and largely unexciting, which is pretty much all I ask of a car these days.

Got about 20MPG on the first tank, which was 2/3 highway driving at 75-80mph and the rest tooling around town at mostly 25-35mph. Not bad for a fairly good sized 8 person hauler. A little upgrade from the 12MPG I was getting on the Expedition. And I see from the window stickers that this is an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. I guess thats a good thing too.

Other than a little rubbing squeaky sound from the rubber on the drivers door, which a little armor all fixed, not a glitch or problem. Pleased with the "small conveniences" like a little drop down front door on the center console with a rubber cell phone pocket, a clip for a pen, and a charger at the base of the pocket for the cell charger. No more cords running from the dashboard and no more digging through 15lbs of junk in the console to find a pen.

Oh yeah, and according to my crack insurance company, the vehicle is also four wheel drive, although the window sticker says its not, and its suspiciously lacking any drive shaft or rear drive equipment. An extra couple of bucks a year until Honda finds some way to assure Farmers that it really, really is a 2WD. A few months back it was going through an assurance process between Lexus and Farmers to help Farmers understand that each and every Lexus ever made had anti-lock brakes, so yes they should give me the discount.

Good thing all these databases are so functionally accurate and filled with the right information. Or else I'd have free four wheel drive and a rare lexus made without ALB. Think of what that'd be worth on ebay!
Old 05-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good thing all these databases are so functionally accurate and filled with the right information.* Or else I'd have free four wheel drive and a rare lexus made without ALB.* Think of what that'd be worth on ebay!
Funny you should mention that-- they probably got the vehicle info from your old PayPal account...