Join Early Retirement Today

New car, old car, same car?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New car, old car, same car?

So here's the deal. We have the wifes new lexus, which she drives all the time. We've got a 7 year old expedition with under 50k miles on it thats got never ending problemitis, and thats my primary driver and the baby hauler. And a six year old rav4 with under 30k miles that's been used as "the dogmobile" for the last 5 years. Full of hair and smells like dog. Ted ate the rear seatbelts out of it when he was a baby (thankfully he's gotten over that phase), which I presume will be a major expense to replace.

It seems theres a fire sale on Honda Pilots. I can get a base LX model, which has everything I need in it, for about $22,600 marked down from almost $28k. Thats a pretty sweet deal that's hard to turn down.

I'm thinking of selling the expedition private sale with a little light disclosure about what I know isnt quite right with it...I might get 10-11k for it. Buy the pilot. Keep the rav as the dog mobile/crap hauler.

Alternatively, I spend a couple of days scrubbing out the rav, put the baby seat in that, make that my primary driver and baby hauler. Then either keep the expedition as the dogmobile/crap hauler or sell it and the dogs get no more car rides. Which is the highlight of their day in keeping with that whole thing about being a sucker for animals.

Cleaning up the rav and selling the expedition makes the most financial sense.

But thats one sweet deal on that Pilot. And it'd be a lot more reliable and get better mileage than the expedition.

Last two qualifiers are that I might have to hang on to the expedition for 2-6 months until the current "holy ****, look at how much gas is" thing expires, and I have to drive to a dealer thats about 2.5 hours each way to get this deal. Nobody else will come close to the price thats nearer. Hondas paying the dealers $2k in dealer cash to move the cars this month, and this dealer is willing to hand that over to me and make about $350 on the car total. The other dealers are pretending they never heard about the dealer cash thing.

So what would you do?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New car, old car, same car?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Clearly the best financial thing to do is keep what you have. Do some repairs/cleanup as needed.

However if you want a new car/truck and it's in the budget then go for it. It's your life and you get to decide.

I suspect that the Expedition will go for a lot less than those online guides suggest though. Also, from what I read cars and trucks aren't selling at the rate it takes to keep those factories humming. So some people think that bigger/better new car deals are inevitable this year.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Which means (If I understand correctly), your "stable" of cars have an average age of 4.66 years.

I'm at 10.5 (17 & 4 years) and don't plan on spending $$$ until I "need" to (the 17 year old Olds is also is my "truck" - for the "puppies" and hauling).

It dosen't seem that you put a lot of mileage on your vehicles. *Have you actually worked out the cost/comparison of the mileage vs. actual cost.

Of course, if you just need an "excuse to buy", you have my approval * .

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We'll probably keep the lexus for a loooong time. Heck, gabe might learn to drive in it

I figured doing the work on the expedition is financially reasonable, but dragging it back and forth to the dealership for the "heavy" work is a pain in the butt. Having the transmission go on me while we're out somewhere with the baby in 100 degree weather doesnt sound like fun to me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...i'm the king of rationalization...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You got the money, you can't take it with you, and I have two close friends with Pilots and they Love them with a capital "L". Zero problems, actually get the advertised gas prices, and the they claim the third row seat is roomier than the explorer third row (I'm sure the expidition is better still). One has had it for 4 years, still loves it, we are keeping them in mind for when the Jeep goes caput (hopefully not for another 5 years).
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

One problem might be that you will have two new vehicles so it will be years before you ge the pleasure of a new vehicle again. Be nice to space out the new vehicles a few years apart.

What all is wrong with the Expedition? Or is the real problem that it is troublesome; when one thing is fixed, another problem pops up?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Lawrence. *Great car, great manufacturer- probably will keep it a long time. *Doesn't go down much in value. *The thing is - you are hauling around your kid, and like you said, you get stuck somewhere - no fun at all. *Not fun having an unreliable car. *Other point is that you are comfortable financially, so why not splurge -like Lawrence said, you can't take it with you.

Or, you can just deal with the present situation and get over it. *:P Talk to the DW. *I bet she'll say go for it! *

Just my two cents.

Jane *
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep Lexus, sell other 2 vehicles, buy Honda and then buy old beater pickup with topper to haul dogs and other household chores. I'm happy with that.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Saturn have just introduced this really neat 2 seater convertible.

I have a 5 year old CRV, ZERO problems, mileage is great.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

In your shoes, assuming that spending some money isn't a big deal, I'd probably clean up the RAV4 (couple hundred bucks in detailing will make it "new"), sell the POS gas hog, and buy the Pilot. Why exactly do you feel the need to have a large SUV?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
In your shoes, assuming that spending some money isn't a big deal, I'd probably clean up the RAV4 (couple hundred bucks in detailing will make it "new"), sell the POS gas hog, and buy the Pilot.* Why exactly do you feel the need to have a large SUV?
Agreed. Clean up what you have. The RAV will last you for another 5-6 years at least, whereas the Expedition won't.

Have you considered putting some type of liner in the RAV backseat?

http://www.autoanything.com/seat-cov...A2333A0A0.aspx
http://www.nextag.com/car-seat-prote...ts/search-html
http://www.jnkproducts.com/pet_pad_seat_protector.htm
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #12

i'd wait for $5/gal gas and take the then-offered rebate on the truck.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #13

My wife and I just test drove the Pilot too. Nice vehicle. I'm considering buying one for her. With our new baby I want something safe, good in the snow and with all the safety bells and whistles.

I have a 2004 F-150, which she won't drive because it is too big. It's hard to load the baby into the back seat since the truck is so big! Trade in is abysmal on it. The steep Ford discounts have killed resale.

$24K for the LX Pilot, $26K for the EX at our local Honda dealer. Tho, if I kept the truck to tow the boat, then I could go for the CR-V for my wife.

Both have great crash test results, but I always like bigger vehicles for safety. Then again, I am 6'6"...

I'd sell your Rav and Expedition and buy a Honda. Not sure what you would use to haul your dogs tho.

Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I have two close friends with Pilots and they Love them with a capital "L". Zero problems, actually get the advertised gas prices, and the they claim the third row seat is roomier than the explorer third row (I'm sure the expidition is better still). One has had it for 4 years, still loves it, we are keeping them in mind for when the Jeep goes caput (hopefully not for another 5 years).
I hear nothing but good things. Liked the pilot since it came out and always figured it for an eventual replacement. You might be surprised by the expeditions crappy 3rd seat. Due to the 4wd and other factors, the back has a very high deck, no well for feet, and the seat is close to the floor. So its perfect for 4 year olds, midgets or those guys "bob", "art" and "matt" we were talking about in the funny joke thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane_Doe
Talk to the DW. I bet she'll say go for it!
As soon as I mentioned it last week, she said to buy it. What else can she say? I bought her a lexus two months ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
In your shoes, assuming that spending some money isn't a big deal, I'd probably clean up the RAV4 (couple hundred bucks in detailing will make it "new"), sell the POS gas hog, and buy the Pilot. Why exactly do you feel the need to have a large SUV?
I think thats the plan i'll take, providing theres no further "funny business" around the price or availability. If the price starts drifting up or "we dont have one like that, just this one thats 10k more", then i'll pass.

The pilots not that large, really. We live in pickup truck and excursion farm country here, half the people drive drunk, and theres at least a pair of "drunk in a pickup tried to pass on a curve and killed the whole family in the civic" stories on the front page every morning. Wife isnt fond of the idea of my using the Rav with the baby seat, even though the crash stats are technically better on the rav than the expedition.

Just in my little 7 home cul de sac, the vehicles are four f-250's, an f-150, two excursions, two expeditions, a yukon and a couple of cars as secondary vehicles. Most of those are diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
One problem might be that you will have two new vehicles so it will be years before you ge the pleasure of a new vehicle again. Be nice to space out the new vehicles a few years apart.
I actually hate owning a new car. You actually have to worry about it when you park it somewhere. Someone whacks the expedition in a parking lot, I dont care.

Quote:
What all is wrong with the Expedition? Or is the real problem that it is troublesome; when one thing is fixed, another problem pops up?
Its always something. So far from recollection: power window motor, wheel bearing, six repairs to the transfer case, idle problems, two a/c repairs, and on the last visit, a/c is leaking, they cant find it, it might need another $500+ compressor, and theres metal bits in the transmission pan, which may mean nothing or may mean a new transmission in a year or two, at around $3-4k. The driver door power lock and the liftgate power lock work when they feel like it and i've already fixed two of the passenger door locks. This is in the first 45,000 miles!!! I'm betting the next 45,000 wont be a whole lotta fun. Oh yeah, and a whopping 12MPG too! My first american car in a long time, and most assuredly my last... :P

Bill - check out www.carsdirect.com...they found a local dealer willing to throw in the $2k dealer cash available until the end of this month. The CRV isnt that much cheaper at these prices.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
It seems theres a fire sale on Honda Pilots.* I can get a base LX model, which has everything I need in it, for about $22,600 marked down from almost $28k.* Thats a pretty sweet deal that's hard to turn down.
I guess that depends on your point of view. *Mine is "Yikes!"-- we've never paid more than $8100 for a car in our lives. *The sweetness of the Pilot deal depends on your belief that $28K is a fair price to pay for a new car. *Since I'm arguing with a guy who just bought a Lexus, I'm not sure there's any middle ground between us.

Quote:
Alternatively, I spend a couple of days scrubbing out the rav, put the baby seat in that, make that my primary driver and baby hauler. *Then either keep the expedition as the dogmobile/crap hauler or sell it and the dogs get no more car rides. *
Cleaning up the rav and selling the expedition makes the most financial sense.
Well, financially, yeah. *Craigslist.

Is there a way to keep hauling both kids & dogs in the RAV? *After all, Gabe's only gonna need a car seat for two or three more years, right?

In early 2003 we went through a spate of expensive car repairs with a 1990 Honda Civic. When I was picking through a junkyard for a used engine control unit I decided "Enough already!" and we sold the Honda (with its "newer" ECU and a slate of disclosures) for $2495. Apparently we fixed all the right things because we still see it on the road. You might be able to get rid of the Expedition now while the getting is good...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

While the getting is good is exactly what I was thinking. Expeditions in the 2000-2002 range with ~80k+ miles on them are selling for $13-15k at a lot of local lots and dealers. Not that they'll get that, but I figure 10-11 is easy and 12k might be doable if I sit on it a while. Its in pretty good shape.

The wife is unexcited about the dogs and baby sharing a vehicle unless i'm willing to vacuum it out a couple of times a week.

Guess what I dont wanna do!

I looked around at other options, from mid to largish cars and mid size SUV options. For something usable, the cheapest I came up with (new) was around 17k for a Scion xb or a honda element. Both quite a bit smaller. Much better mileage on the Scion but about the same with the element. Both sorta weird looking but I like them. Element is interesting as you can basically hose it out. I'm betting resale on both of them sucks down the road. I figured for an extra $4-5k I can get a lot more vehicle with solid resale 6-8 years from now.

Moneywise...heck, I've made about 50k in the last couple of months and even counting the lexus purchase, we're up six figures since the first of the year.

Vacuuming dog hair out of a car twice a week? Ick.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

$22K for dog-hair avoidance?* Ewwwwwkay... hey, you worked for it, you earned it, it's your money!

As was previously mentioned, what about a dog-hair blanket? Lay it out on the seats for the four-legged animals, then ball it up and stuff it in the back if the animals know how to buckle their seatbelts.

I've never had to worry about resale value.* I think our car sale prices have been $400, $600, $995, $1295, and the aforementioned honkin' big $2495.* And those are all probably about $400 adjusted for inflation...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

well, 22k - 10-12k, amortized over 8 years? Pretty good return. My time is at a bit of a premium, or can you not imagine six animals, a baby, a household, and whatnot?

I had an elaborate system of indoor outdoor carpeting taped throughout the back of the rav, along with having elevated the rear deck by about 18" so they could stick their heads out the window without having to stand on their back legs and put their front on the sills, scratching the latter and straining the surgery reinforced rear leg of one of them. When I took all that out the other day, i vacuumed up about 37 metric tons of fur that managed to get through paper thin seams.

Plus with the two rear seats (and a baby seat) in, theres not enough room for dogs. So I'd be taking the baby seat and the two rear seats out almost every day, and putting them back in almost every day :P :P :P

I get ridiculous resales on my cars. My last two were an SUV I paid $17k for, drove for 7 years and sold for $12k, and a miata I bought for $13k, drove 7 years and sold for $10k. Half the reason why I bought the lexus is that if we dont keep it for 10 years, I'll be able to get more than half my money back on it selling it in 5-7 years with 25-30k miles on it...inflation will see to that.

Oh yeah, and quit screwing around with my rationalizations!!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
well, 22k - 10-12k, amortized over 8 years?* Pretty good return.* My time is at a bit of a premium, or can you not imagine six animals, a baby, a household, and whatnot?
Oh yeah, and quit screwing around with my rationalizations!!
No, no, you're absolutely right!

Besides I'm beginning to sound like my FIL, and that scares me...

Old 05-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Now pull your pants up to your armpits, get some suspenders, go look at the thermostat and adjust it a little, turn off all the lights your daughter left on, and go tell those damn kids to get the hell off your lawn!!!