Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
New 2015 FIAT 500 Pop For Sale | Boise ID

they have a bunch under $12K
For that price it might be worth driving to ID from WI, trade in my car, then drive the new car back.

The same vehicle costs about $18,000 here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #22

My DH is 6 feet tall and has no problems at all driving a Prius.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm looking for a car that gets at least upper 30's MPG on the highway AND has enough leg room for me at 6'6". The two cars i've come across that will work are the Chevy Cruze and Volkswagen Jetta TDI. In my local area i've found a new Cruze for $20000 and a 2011 Jetta TDI with 60,000 miles for $15000. The Jetta gets 42hyw/30city compared to the Cruze's 38hwy/26 city. Having a hard time deciding which to choose(if either). Anyone have either of these cars and have advice? Any other cars that may fit my criteria?
Checkout a VW GTI, though it may be outside your budget (new it's $25K-$30K). Both my son and I are 6'6" and have plenty of room in our new VW GTI - my wife can even sit behind either of us.

I just took a load of stuff down to Florida from Ohio and got real world 36+ mpg on the trip (upper 20's around town).

We got the GTI because it's a combination of a practical hatchback with plenty of legroom AND it's a very fun car to drive!

When my wife test drove it she exclaimed - "hey that was fun!" That sealed the deal for us.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
My DH is 6 feet tall and has no problems at all driving a Prius.
There's a big difference between 6' and 6'6". I never have a problem with head room, i'm all legs. Most cars I can't even get my right leg past the steering wheel to sit down. I tried a Prius and the center console is too big. There's no room for my right leg. Not as bad as some cars but not enough room for me. I also didn't like the lack of rear visibility.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Checkout a VW GTI, though it may be outside your budget (new it's $25K-$30K). Both my son and I are 6'6" and have plenty of room in our new VW GTI - my wife can even sit behind either of us.

I just took a load of stuff down to Florida from Ohio and got real world 36+ mpg on the trip (upper 20's around town).

We got the GTI because it's a combination of a practical hatchback with plenty of legroom AND it's a very fun car to drive!

When my wife test drove it she exclaimed - "hey that was fun!" That sealed the deal for us.
Definitely looks like a good car but it costs more than I gross in a year so it's not very practical for me.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

Honda has a brand new model SUV that just came into dealerships 2 weeks ago--$20K price tag. It's Civic based, and is going to tear up the SUV retail market.
The new Honda HR-V mini SUV is based on the Honda Fit (smaller than a Civic)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
New 2015 FIAT 500 Pop For Sale | Boise ID

they have a bunch under $12K
Big discounts.... but I would bet that you could not get one for that price...

There was a dealership here that used to advertise "as low as", but you had to qualify for every rebate possible to get down that low... and nobody did... also, that is a manual... add over $1K to get auto....

But I would agree that they are selling for $13.5K.... still, I would not want one...

Edit to add.... looked at Auto Trader and found more places with the below $12K price (manual)... a couple around here for just over... I mean a few dollars... so it does look like you can get one that cheap...
Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

OK... found an example of the 'low' price game...

Cars for Sale: 2015 Hyundai Accent GLS Sedan in Friendswood, TX 77546: Sedan Details - 401803234 - Autotrader

A new Hyundai Accent for $8,375

Can a Kia be this cheap....

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...04385964&Log=0
Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #29

Quote:
I'm not sure there is enough credible experience to rate the Fiat one way or another.

It's only been out a few years and they keep improving the line.

I take CR with a grain of salt anyway - my parents used to read that like the Bible and always bought lemons.....
The trick with CR magazine is to read the survey results from the thousands of owners that reply, then you can see trends over the years for a model.
Like are the transmissions lousy year after year ?

Ignore the writer reviews of a car that they test drive, as all cars seem pretty fine for the first week of driving, and it tells you nothing about reliability
Old 07-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #30

That car is pretty cute, I should get one to carry in the back of my new van
Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just bought a 2015 Kia Forte for 14k. Getting between 39-42 hwy mpgs. Everyone comments how big it is inside. I am very happy with it. Good warranty, the car feels much more luxurious than the price. I'd recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-02-2015, 05:41 AM   #32

Quote:
I'm not sure there is enough credible experience to rate the Fiat one way or another.
That's not a ringing endorsement.

Quote:
I take CR with a grain of salt anyway - my parents used to read that like the Bible and always bought lemons.
Many of us had have great experiences applying the CR ratings to our purchasing decisions. I trust them more than even the recommendations of some of my closest friends, who more often than not either favor or revile what they own out of proportion to the items actual advantages or detriments. I love 'em to death but some folks are just too reticent to give a middling review of anything.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buy what you like best! But take a look at Consumer Reports on reliability.....GM will win hands down over VW and Fiat. I'd also look at safety.....newer cars, like the Cruze will have multiple air bags.....I don't know about the VW but the Fiat is so small, I wouldn't want to be in a bad accident in one of them. Then, think of tire, brake replacement on new vs. used.....and a full warranty....I'd pick the Cruze of the 3 cars.....Now, I wouldn't drive a Cruze, I'd drive an Equinox...size and safety....or a Kia.....high quality & good small cars....so, drive them, evaluate them......since my family has been in two bad accidents....I wasn't in the car either time nor was it my family's fault.....look to which choice is safest......good luck and I believe you save money when you buy a car that you like so much you'll keep it for years.....!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Big discounts.... but I would bet that you could not get one for that price...
yes you can. I was on the lot 6 months ago and they had several under 12K. No negotiation.

If you don't believe me give them a call.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Find yourself a well-kept 2005-2006 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yes you can. I was on the lot 6 months ago and they had several under 12K. No negotiation.

If you don't believe me give them a call.

Not worth it to me....

As I mentioned, it seems to show a possible lowest price under $12K... but like the Hyundai that I showed, they might included recent grad credit, military credit etc. etc... so if you do not qualify for them you do not get them...

I will agree that the price you can buy one is close to $12K before taxes and fees... but I also have found a good number of other vehicles that are similarly priced.... and I would rather own them than a Fiat.... Kia has a couple of models, Hyundai had also.. Chevy has the Spark, Nissan the Versa... lots of options at that price point....
Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I will agree that the price you can buy one is close to $12K before taxes and fees... but I also have found a good number of other vehicles that are similarly priced.... and I would rather own them than a Fiat.... Kia has a couple of models, Hyundai had also.. Chevy has the Spark, Nissan the Versa... lots of options at that price point....
I actually dig the versa. I rented one a few years ago and it has a crap ton of room. At 6'2" 260 I had no issues whatsoever with regard to leg or head room.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. I'm pretty happy with it and can get upper 30's highway unless into a 20 MPH headwind. Lots of space in front and back. But it is not a luxury car. Has a fair amount of wind noise. Both Hyundai and Kia have the best warranties in the business IMHO.

If looking at a Jetta TDI, add in the cost (and inconvenience) of Diesel Exhaust Fluid to your expected fuel costs. I never heard of it until a month ago. I drove a manual transmission one and didn't like the clutch action at all. Under some RPM, the engine control kills the engine and popping the clutch will not restart it.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #39

Not to be a broken record (as I've mentioned this elsewhere in these pages), you might consider a 2005 or older Buick LeSaber or Park Ave. You should be able to pick up a low mileage (if you are not in a hurry) for $5K or $6K. They get 30 on the road (not so much in town, heh, heh.) Budget some repairs (such as electric windows, etc.) You still come out ahead if you have a bit of luck on your side. Very comfortable. Costs little for insurance/tags, etc. Downside is potential reliability. But, there are thousands of used parts available for these cars. The 3.8l V6 is one of the most reliable motors in existence. Good buddy is still driving his 2005 with 265K on the Od. As always (and especially with used cars) YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post

If looking at a Jetta TDI, add in the cost (and inconvenience) of Diesel Exhaust Fluid to your expected fuel costs. I never heard of it until a month ago. I drove a manual transmission one and didn't like the clutch action at all. Under some RPM, the engine control kills the engine and popping the clutch will not restart it.
Cost and inconvenience?

DEF is $12.00 per 2.5 gallons. That much lasted me 11,400 miles in my VW Passat diesel. Inconvenience? Takes all of one minute to pop the filler top in your trunk and pour it in.