Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've been driving a Forester since February 2005. I stupidly chose the turbo version and get 22 MPG (of premium fuel) on the highway if I keep it under 70. If it got 32 instead of 22 i'd keep it another 10+ years
turbo foresters rule - I have two of them

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
turbo foresters rule - I have two of them
They're a great vehicle if the extra gas cost is negligible to your budget like it is for you. I, however, have a budget of $18000/yr including taxes so the extra cost is fairly high. I have driven to Florida for 6 weeks to 5 months for each of the last 4 winters but am having a hard time keeping my budget down to what I can afford. That means i'll have to either get a better gas mileage vehicle or stay in Wisconsin all winter(who would want to do that).

Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #83

My wife and I only drive maybe 10,000 miles a year, total so yeah we don't spend that much on fuel.

Good luck with your search!

Oh, one other thing - those cars can be expensive to maintain once they get around 90-100K on the clock. You'll have to do a timing belt among other things. Just make sure you check the oil every fill up on that 05, they like to use oil.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went on a 1500 mile round trip the past few days. Not only myself, but at a point had a passenger in the front and three in the back. Now, I'm seriously considering getting an after market rear view back up camera as there were times I could barely see in the back. I forgot to yell "Duck!" when needing to back up .
Old 07-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
You'll have to do a timing belt among other things. Just make sure you check the oil every fill up on that 05, they like to use oil.
Yes. Had a car (an 81 Olds Omega) which required changing out the timing belt at 60K. At 62 K it let go. Very lucky that it happened after I pulled off the interstate at my interchange and had come to a stop at the state road. The car simply stopped and would not start. No damage to the valves, but it could have totally lunched the top half of the engine. Do NOT skimp on this required maintenance!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yes. Had a car (an 81 Olds Omega) which required changing out the timing belt at 60K. At 62 K it let go. Very lucky that it happened after I pulled off the interstate at my interchange and had come to a stop at the state road. The car simply stopped and would not start. No damage to the valves, but it could have totally lunched the top half of the engine. Do NOT skimp on this required maintenance!
That's one issue I have with the Volkswagen TDI. VW engineers should have used a chain -- but designers at Wolfsburg have a history of going the two-bit route. I'll never own another Volkswagen product.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #87

2.5 turbo scoobs use a belt, if it skips or breaks it's seriously bad juju
Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

It's pretty rare when a modern timing belt breaks on its own. What usually happens is a component in the path of the belt fails, taking the belt off its path. This type of failure becomes a high probability when auto mechanics (or owners) go the short route and only change the belt leaving the water pump, idler pully(s), tensioner, etc. to go for another round of service life.

Good timing belt kits include ALL those parts. Some good timing belt kits even include replacement "torque to yield" (stretch) bolts which MUST be changed once the originals are removed.

Say what you want about chains, but poor maintenance practices to cut costs also cause failures in these systems. Even still, chains stretch and tensioners fail so they are not foolproof, especially when the WRONG spec oil is used when changing oil.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #89

^ agreed - when you do a belt you need to do the whole shebang