Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Using your numbers, I come up with a total fuel increase of about +4 cents per gallon, including DEF and diesel. Some people are very sensitive about fuel cost per gallon. My inconvenience comment was based on my recent travels across the US. I'm not sure how VW handles it, but with ~ 500 miles left of DEF, the GMC diesel I was in told us it was time to fill the DEF. Wouldn't have been bad except traveling in the western states on a Sunday, we had to find someone that had DEF. It was about 1/2 hour excursion off of the planned route and found it at the 4th location we tried. 2 stations didn't carry it at all, and NAPA was closed. This cost us about 30 miles of planned distance that day. My point is, DEF isn't mainstream, yet. You have to search it out.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Using your numbers, I come up with a total fuel increase of about +4 cents per gallon, including DEF and diesel. Some people are very sensitive about fuel cost per gallon. My inconvenience comment was based on my recent travels across the US. I'm not sure how VW handles it, but with ~ 500 miles left of DEF, the GMC diesel I was in told us it was time to fill the DEF. Wouldn't have been bad except traveling in the western states on a Sunday, we had to find someone that had DEF. It was about 1/2 hour excursion off of the planned route and found it at the 4th location we tried. 2 stations didn't carry it at all, and NAPA was closed. This cost us about 30 miles of planned distance that day. My point is, DEF isn't mainstream, yet. You have to search it out.
Isn't mainstream

BLUEDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid, 2.5 gal - Walmart.com

It's in all the Walmarts and auto parts stores.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #43

I drive a diesel car that uses DEF (urea). I simply top off the tank every 10,000 miles when I get the oil changed.

The car will warn me when it's down to "1500 miles of DEF". It'll start 10 times, then not start until it's refilled (thanks EPA regs). That's probably within range of a truck stop or another filling station (or Walmart) that sells it.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
... My point is, DEF isn't mainstream, yet. You have to search it out.
Or carry an extra gallon/quart(s) for those rare times you won't get to a source in time.

So now diesels have 'range anxiety'! What's this world coming to!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Range anxiety?

My truck warns me when I have 1,000 miles of DEF remaining. My fuel gauge warns me when I have 400 miles of diesel remaining - by reading "full".

Edit: In addition to Walmart and auto supply stores, DEF can be purchased at all truck stops - and many stations that sell diesel fuel.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Or carry an extra gallon/quart(s) for those rare times you won't get to a source in time.

So now diesels have 'range anxiety'! What's this world coming to!

-ERD50
Range anxiety is not an issue with me.

My diesel Passat tells me when I am running low on fuel, usually around 650 miles on the tankful and 75 to go. DEF light pops on with a few hundred miles left. Only seen that light once in 13,400 miles.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #47

For those looking for great fuel economy in a very nice little (compact but quite comfortable) car, I can definitely recommend the one I rented in England last month.

It was a Hyundai i30 diesel, and we found it perfectly comfortable. I put just over 1,000 miles on it in 11 days, and averaged right around 58 mpg.

Caveat: I'm the kind of driver who normally gets better than predicted fuel economy, so most people might not get quite as good mileage as I did, but still...

I have heard that the advanced diesel engines common in Europe are starting to appear in the USA. I'd like to see that trend accelerate.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Range anxiety is not an issue with me. ...
I was just kidding about the range anxiety

- as REWahoo points out, my gas tank has a lot less range than that, in fact my little 14 G tank, and 21 mpg around town, with a gauge and warning light that are on E when I still have over 2 gallons left, means I need to be looking for a station at ~ 250 miles (much farther on the highway though).

So maybe not every gas station carries it, but with every walmart and auto store having it, even a 500 mile warning should not be a problem. And if it really is, an extra quart container would carry you.

-ERD50
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I have heard that the advanced diesel engines common in Europe are starting to appear in the USA. I'd like to see that trend accelerate.
As I understand it (and I could have this wrong), the emission restrictions here are much tighter, so adjustments are needed to bring Euro-diesels to the US.

Or maybe something about sulfur levels in our fuel?

-ERD50
Old 07-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
Buy what you like best! ...................good luck and I believe you save money when you buy a car that you like so much you'll keep it for years.....!
We have a winner folks. Even if it a Ferrari.

My 2005 Mustang GT is still in my driveway and I bet it's still there in 10 years. Yes, it burns more gas than a Prius but if I keep it 25 years it will burn less money than 3 or 4 Prius's/Prius' (what's the plural of Prius?).
Old 07-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Not thrilled with any of these three. Would pick the VW if that is all I had to chose from (anything but a Chevy, well almost, not sure about the Fiat) I'd look at the Toyota Corolla to meet your requirements...
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Picking a car is as subjective as picking a woman/man...so I won't go there. For reliability, I would take a look at KBB. They have the 'professional' reviews and then the 'owners' reviews. They will combine all the owner's reviews (over time) and will give it a rating from 0-10 (also changes over time). I have found that they are good at representing what issues you might have with a car. As an example, I have an '09 Infiniti with 80K miles. If you were to believe CR and the predicted reliability...it's a crap car. I can tell you otherwise...it drives as well today as when it was new. No rattles, no squeaks, no issues AT ALL. On the KBB owner's site, it shows that it is rated a 9.2/10. As a comparison, the '09 Accord is LOVED by all the reviewers for reliability, but if you read enough owner reviews, you will see that there is a question of a decrease in quality over the last few years. The KBB owner's rating is 8.1/10...LOWER than the 'crappy' Infiniti.

Another good website (you have to sign up, but it's free) that has a lot of data is True Delta. I have also found that you are able to root out common problems with cars...as we have with the wife's Toyota Highlander (I hate it, but the wife loves it...very subjective, eh?).

One last thought...I do think VW has come a long way, but I have a friend that owns a VW repair shop and he stays VERY, VERY busy with the models that are 6 or more years old. That's the ONLY brand car he works on, and he's doing just fine. He gives me a hard time when I come visit in the Infiniti (which I call the 'Nissan') saying that I don't need to be taking up parking spots up front with dependable cars.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

6'4" and drove the Fiat 500. About two blocks. Really wanted to like the quirky, not to say ugly, duckling. HATED the driving feel, which was pretty much like an electric bumper car. Looking hard at the Honda Fit and the new HRV, but won't get the automatic CV transmission - loud and removes any kind of fun. Probably will go used though; can get a bunch more car for less money, which gives a nice repair bill cushion.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
We have a winner folks. Even if it a Ferrari.

My 2005 Mustang GT is still in my driveway and I bet it's still there in 10 years. Yes, it burns more gas than a Prius but if I keep it 25 years it will burn less money than 3 or 4 Prius's/Prius' (what's the plural of Prius?).
I say 'Prii' and get funny looks. But I'm pretty sure I'm right and everyone else is wrong, just like always.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
6'4" and drove the Fiat 500. About two blocks. Really wanted to like the quirky, not to say ugly, duckling. HATED the driving feel, which was pretty much like an electric bumper car. Looking hard at the Honda Fit and the new HRV, but won't get the automatic CV transmission - loud and removes any kind of fun. Probably will go used though; can get a bunch more car for less money, which gives a nice repair bill cushion.
My father has an Accord with a CV and loves it, which shocked me. Sounds like they've gotten a lot better over the past three years: fixed ratios that feel more like a planetary gear system, quieter, and better able to handle torque.

I'm still skeptical, but I'm willing to test drive one now, whereas I would've dismissed one out of hand just a few years ago.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Not thrilled with any of these three. Would pick the VW if that is all I had to chose from (anything but a Chevy, well almost, not sure about the Fiat) I'd look at the Toyota Corolla to meet your requirements...
Can't even get my knee past the steering wheel in the Corolla just like most other cars. The corolla was my first choice and is the car i'd own if I was under 6 foot.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #57

The Nissan Versa Note might be worth a look. Surprisingly roomy inside (although perhaps slanted more to headroom), and gets 40mpg highway. MSRP is under $15k for the base model. I think they even look pretty good, as compact hatchbacks go.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Edmunds.com has a list of their top 10 sedans for tall drivers:

Top 10 Sedans for Tall Drivers for 2014 | Edmunds.com

I have no idea if any of them will accomodate someone 6'6", though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #59

A Camry hybrid might fill the bill.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Edmunds.com has a list of their top 10 sedans for tall drivers:

Top 10 Sedans for Tall Drivers for 2014 | Edmunds.com

I have no idea if any of them will accomodate someone 6'6", though.
I guess car manufacturers assume all tall people have a lot of money. All those cars are bigger, higher end, cars. I assume smaller cars have to save space in the back seat by removing space in the driver seat? Maybe I should look at cars that have no back seat like the Smart fortwo? Are there any other cars that don't have a back seat and get very high gas mileage?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote