Join Early Retirement Today

New car options?
Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New car options?

I'm looking for a car that gets at least upper 30's MPG on the highway AND has enough leg room for me at 6'6". The two cars i've come across that will work are the Chevy Cruze and Volkswagen Jetta TDI. In my local area i've found a new Cruze for $20000 and a 2011 Jetta TDI with 60,000 miles for $15000. The Jetta gets 42hyw/30city compared to the Cruze's 38hwy/26 city. Having a hard time deciding which to choose(if either). Anyone have either of these cars and have advice? Any other cars that may fit my criteria?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Have you tried a Fiat 500 - salesman who was 6'6" swore he had no legroom/headroom issues.

Those are inexpensive too.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Have you tried a Fiat 500 - salesman who was 6'6" swore he had no legroom/headroom issues.

I had not considered a Fiat. I haven't even ever seen one on the road but it looks like there is a dealership about 10 miles away so i'll check it out.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not worth the future problems you will have with a Fiat.... one of the lowest rated cars made...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not worth the future problems you will have with a Fiat.... one of the lowest rated cars made...
+1

A good friend of mine had a Jetta TDI until it was stolen from an airport parking lot and destroyed earlier this year. He loved it.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
for $12K (almost out the door) and the standard 4 yr bumper to bumper warranty, I'd take my chances.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports isn't a fan of any of the three cars mentioned - the Fiat, the TDI or the Cruze. Odds are any savings in fuel could be offset by repair costs and/or inconvenience.

Might be worthwhile to get to a library and get a look at the April issue of CR. They have a list of recommended used cars for your budget on page 82.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure there is enough credible experience to rate the Fiat one way or another.

It's only been out a few years and they keep improving the line.

I take CR with a grain of salt anyway - my parents used to read that like the Bible and always bought lemons.

Library? I thought those got betamaxed.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm not sure there is enough credible experience to rate the Fiat one way or another.

It's only been out a few years and they keep improving the line.

I take CR with a grain of salt anyway - my parents used to read that like the Bible and always bought lemons.
The worst car I ever owned (by quite a large margin) was a Fiat ("Fix It Again, Tony").

But that was decades ago, and they may have improved since then.
On the other issue, the reason I bought that Fiat in the first place was because it got rave reviews in CR, and I naively believed their report. Never again!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The new fiats are pretty sweet. I took my SIL to look at them when she was visting last Xmas. They are sooooo inexpensive.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Gas mileage is not everything. There are a number of cars getting in the 30's mpg, but it's awfully difficult to get to the high 30's or low 40's. Often those cars are so small that they're uncomfortable.

Is the Cruze you're talking about the old body style or the new body style. They're coming out with a completely different model that's very attractive and larger. And it also performs better than the last generation model.

Saying that, the Golf TDI is a great car. I'd buy one new and keep it for the long run, however. I don't want a 60K mile used car, as they could shortly have some problems.

Honda has a brand new model SUV that just came into dealerships 2 weeks ago--$20K price tag. It's Civic based, and is going to tear up the SUV retail market.

Last but not least--choose a Honda Accord or Nissan Altima. They get upper 30's mpg but they both have comfort and a great resale value.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

accords and Altimas are much more expensive than a fiat 500 - $10K buys a lot of fuel
Old 07-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
On the other issue, the reason I bought that Fiat in the first place was because it got rave reviews in CR, and I naively believed their report. Never again!
Based on their current review of Fiats, it looks like they - like you - learned their lesson!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I wish there were fewer options. Maybe just small, medium and large.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sometimes I wish there were fewer options. Maybe just small, medium and large.
That would make too much sense. Then the dealership would have the part on hand instead of having to order it, and everyone would know how to fix it.

No way to make money that way.

Just like the 3 year old Samsung refrigerator we had to repair. The inverter board blew on Saturday. We called Samsung CS (thinking it was the compressor and covered under warranty). The repairman looked at it on Wednesday, determined it was a board, ordered it. He came back Tuesday to pop it in. We were out of the cold (and $300) for 10 days. Do refrigerators need computer boards?

Really? (sorry for my off topic rant)
Old 07-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
Do refrigerators need computer boards?

Really? (sorry for my off topic rant)
yep, as do dishwashers, hvac units.....

Old 07-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I would not buy a Fiat 500. Would most definitely not want to see what happens when they get hit by a minivan, let alone a full sized pickup.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
for $12K (almost out the door) and the standard 4 yr bumper to bumper warranty, I'd take my chances.
KBB has the lowest priced one (with auto) at over $17K with a $19K sticker..... where do you see $12
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you plan on any longer distance driving, a larger car will be much better for the road trips. Small Fiat or similar have short wheelbase and the ride is not as good. Plus bigger car has lot more room for luggage and passengers.

I think I would lean to a mid-size car, and take the slight mileage hit. Possibly a bit smaller if you like that, for example the Cruze vs Malibu for the Chevy choice. Jetta TDI is a good choice, especially for mileage, although depending where you live diesel fuel can be higher or lower cost than gas.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
KBB has the lowest priced one (with auto) at over $17K with a $19K sticker..... where do you see $12
New 2015 FIAT 500 Pop For Sale | Boise ID

they have a bunch under $12K