Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I also found a lot of other things that are weird on a new car. They now have power windows and no longer take cassette tapes...
Cassette tape player? You much be wealthy to have one of those! I'm stuck with my old AM/FM radio in my Civic. It's pretty sweet though.

Ok, back to enjoying my 15 year old car so I'll leave you all with your First World Problems (tm).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also found a lot of other things that are weird on a new car. They now have power windows and no longer take cassette tapes...
And how do they start in cold weather without a choke?

Old 12-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Laughing at this post! When I bought my '14 Mustang it took me half a day to set up the radio. Not like the old days where you just tuned in a station then pulled out the button and pushed it back in. This one I had to copy all of my cd's to the hard drive and toggle through all of the settings from bluetooth to sirius to usb drive! Good thing I'm retired and have time.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Personally, I love many (maybe not all) of the new features on newer cars.

Regarding headlights, I've added driving lights to a few of mine since I do a lot of nighttime driving in the country and "good" add-on driving lights can really help. My newest vehicle has some really interesting headlight features. They can be set to turn on automatically when it's dark enough (a common feature on many cars) but they have automatic dimming when on-coming headlights are detected as well dimming if it sees "tail lights" from a vehicle you are following. The detection system works very well since it dims the lights about the same time I would if it were in manual mode. It turns the brights back on ~3 seconds after the on coming lights are no longer detected. The really cool part is the "headlight aiming" system. When I turn the vehicles steering wheel, the headlight beams will turn in the direction I'm turning. (anyone here remember the 1948 Tucker?) Maybe up to ~15 degrees or so. Basically keeping plenty of light straight ahead (like normal) but also turns the lights in the direction I'm turning. It really helps when turning corners in areas were there are no street lights.

There is still room for some improvements. One example - They don't seem to recognize "fog" and don't automatically turn off the high beams. Maybe that will be next.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
While you still have both keys, buy a cheap replacement on eBay and get it cut at a hardware store. With the two original keys, you can program the new key using the dog and pony routine yourself and save a bunch.
+1
I also keep a keep a cheap replacement key (with or without the immobilizer chip) that is cut but not programmed. It is only good for unlocking the door in case I lock my keys inside the car....and don't have my backup set.....and can't find my OnStar code.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
While you still have both keys, buy a cheap replacement on eBay and get it cut at a hardware store. With the two original keys, you can program the new key using the dog and pony routine yourself and save a bunch.
My new-to-me 2015 car came with three keys, all programmed. Since they are pricey to replace it's great to have a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I also keep a keep a cheap replacement key (with or without the immobilizer chip) that is cut but not programmed. It is only good for unlocking the door in case I lock my keys inside the car....and don't have my backup set.....and can't find my OnStar code.
It is difficult to lock your keys in one of these new 'keyless' cars. It senses that the key is still inside the car somewhere and will not allow you to lock the doors from outside until it can no longer detect a key is inside the vehicle.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

It's not a new car--it's a new computer (with a new OS) that has wheels on it.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
It's not a new car--it's a new computer (with a new OS) that has wheels on it.
That would explain why the User Manual has 60+ pages dedicated to how to enter/exit/lock/unlock/start the vehicle...

Old 12-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #29

A co-worker left his keys on his desk so my boss and I decided to play a joke and move his car to a different location in the garage. We were able to open the doors but neither of us could figure out how to start the car. Was like an airplane cockpit with all the choices. We returned the keys with the car unmoved.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It is difficult to lock your keys in one of these new 'keyless' cars. It senses that the key is still inside the car somewhere and will not allow you to lock the doors from outside until it can no longer detect a key is inside the vehicle.
We bought a replacement car this summer - 2008 BMW wagon. The doors lock or unlock if you touch the door pull in the right place and a key is close enough. So she keeps a key buried in her purse and I have the key in my pocket and we amuse the parking lot as we each try to enter the locked car and the doors are locking and unlocking frantically as we reach for the doors.

Same car has no oil dipstick. You have to let the car run for 6 minutes and toggle a lever on the turn signal stalk, then press a button and wait..wait...wait as a sensor determines whether and how much oil is in the car. Doesn't tell you what the oil looks like. The indicator had been saying that the level is perfect and it hadn't used any oil in 2000 miles or more - then suddenly the indicator said it was down a 1/4 quart. Drove a week and now it claims to be full and perfect. I assume the sensor had the hiccups, but don't know. Gonna keep driving till the secondary indicator - smoke and grinding halt - says the oil is needing a top up.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now, that's something I would not mind having.

Can I get all these nice features without the ones like the infamous "unintended acceleration"? I cringe when thinking about possible future "unintended left turns".
Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Sounds like GreyHare and you have the new HID headlights (as do I). Cross your fingers and hope they don't go out on you. From Consumer Reports:
I don't know where Consumer Reports shops for their HID bulbs, but I bought a PAIR for my Infiniti for less than $100 about a year ago. As a matter of fact, Amazon has some highly reviewed HID bulbs that fit my car for $29.99 for a PAIR! BUT...even though I bought them, my originals still work fine on a 7 year old car with 85,000 miles on it.

I personally LOVE the HID bulbs...the light is clear and crisp and the illumination of what I *need* to see is exemplary. Now when I get in my wife's truck with the old school halogen bulbs...ugh. It's terrible!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Same car has no oil dipstick. You have to let the car run for 6 minutes and toggle a lever on the turn signal stalk, then press a button and wait..wait...wait as a sensor determines whether and how much oil is in the car............
This is pure genius. Kind of like designing a ball point pen that works in space instead of using a pencil.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have had occasion to rent a car several times in the past year, and I must say I don't like them at all. Far too many multi-function buttons and confusing computer displays for my taste. None of them work in any intuitive fashion, and I suspect it would take sustained study of the owner's manual to learn all the features and functions. Heck, even getting the radio to turn on was a major production in our last rental. I think my next car will be a 1955 Ford pickup.
I have had the same experience.
I will never buy another new car.
Clunker cars and motorcycles for me.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #35

Funny story about newer cars and the big, thick owner's manuals. When we bought the '09 Infiniti, my wife was laughing at me since I was reading manual. But that was OK, since during my perusal of the manual, I came across some information that would be pretty important to her. Well, about a week later, I got the call...she couldn't figure out how to open the fuel door. She said she looked and looked and looked for a handle, a switch, ANYTHING but to no avail. I reminded her about the 400 page owner's manual that was sitting in on the kitchen table and said, "I bet it's in there!" Of course she wasn't very impressed and after cussing me for a minute, I told her the trick. When we got her a Toyota, she came home and immediately started to read the manual.

Oh, the trick you ask? You have to unlock ALL the doors to unlock the access door. If you only unlock the driver's door, it's a no-go.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
... I reminded her about the 400 page owner's manual that was sitting in on the kitchen table and said, ....
Yep, things are not simple, and often frustratingly complex.

I make a point of downloading manuals to my computer. This was a good thing recently. DD called me, she was ~ 60 miles away visiting some friends, and said she was getting an oil light warning on her dash just as she pulled up to their house. Oh No!

After some back and forth, and me looking through the manual on my computer, and her sending me pictures from her phone, we determined it was just a reminder that it was time to change the oil! Whew.

But they used the same oil can icon for that reminder, so it was confusing from her description. But I was able to verify that it was NOT the red light oil can, indicating low oil pressure (an emergency - stop the engine NOW).

They should use a different icon for the oil change warning.

-ERD50
Old 12-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yep, things are not simple, and often frustratingly complex.

I make a point of downloading manuals to my computer. This was a good thing recently. DD called me, she was ~ 60 miles away visiting some friends, and said she was getting an oil light warning on her dash just as she pulled up to their house. Oh No!

After some back and forth, and me looking through the manual on my computer, and her sending me pictures from her phone, we determined it was just a reminder that it was time to change the oil! Whew.

But they used the same oil can icon for that reminder, so it was confusing from her description. But I was able to verify that it was NOT the red light oil can, indicating low oil pressure (an emergency - stop the engine NOW).

They should use a different icon for the oil change warning.

-ERD50
Yeah, that's not very smart.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #38

Quote:
...and where'd they hide the ashtray and cigarette lighter?
Old 12-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #39

Quote:
I don't know where Consumer Reports shops for their HID bulbs...
I'm pretty sure CR assumes people go to the dealer or independent mechanics for such repairs/purchases, thus the high costs. No mention in the article of DIY.

Quote:
... I bought a PAIR for my Infiniti for less than $100 about a year ago. As a matter of fact, Amazon has some highly reviewed HID bulbs that fit my car for $29.99 for a PAIR.
+1

I converted the headlights from halogen to HID on one of our cars, purchasing the conversion kit (wiring harnesses, high voltage ballasts, and bulbs) from Amazon for less than $60. They work great but that is only because the headlight assembly was designed to use HID bulbs from the get-go (projector type assembly with a 'fish eye ' lens in front of the bulb).

Do not place HID bulbs in the old reflector type headlight assemblies or you'll blind/be hated by every oncoming driver regardless of how you attempt to adjust your lights. Only the projector/lens type will work effectively and have the "shield" that drops down as aja8888 described in post #9 above.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've seen videos of people using toothpaste to remove the cloudiness from headlights. Don't know if it really works but may be worth a try.
It will work for awhile, but the cloudiness in a headlight is actually the plastic deteriorating. So you're just removing "dead" plastic and exposing a new layer to deteriorate...and that new layer might start clouding up even quicker.

I had a 2000 Intrepid that I tried the toothpaste trick on when it was maybe 8 or 9 years old. It helped somewhat, but it started to cloud up again. The car got totaled about 2 weeks after the 10 year mark, so I don't know how long the lights would have ultimately lasted.

One of my friends bought a used '95 Grand Marquis, and its lights deteriorated so badly that the passenger side actually cracked towards the bottom, and would get water in it. In 2004, he bought a new light from the dealer, and came by my house, thinking I'd be able to put it in for him. I couldn't figure it out, so he had to pay a mechanic $75 to put in that $225 light fixture. And then, a month later, he traded the car and got a whopping $600 for it at CarMax!

I ended up replacing my Intrepid with a 2000 Park Avenue, which is now 16 model years old. Its lights are clouding up, but they still seem to illuminate the road ahead pretty well. I'll be curious to see how long they last. The car has other issues, so I'm guessing it'll be traded and wholesaled off, or junked, by the time the lights get too horrible.