Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Recently my DF borrowed one of our cars. It has a key fob. With the fob in picket, you lock the door by touching the outside of the door handle. You unlock it by touching the inside (natural when you grab the door handle to open it).

Anyway, I got a call. "I can't lock the door!" he said. I repeated my instructions of tapping the outside of the door handle. "Nope," he said, "Ever time I try it, it opens right up!"

I had to explain to him he was unlocking when he checked and to just look for a little red light that blinks when it locked. Yup, that was blinking away.

I don't think he still trusted that the door was really locked...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Recently my DF borrowed one of our cars. It has a key fob. With the fob in picket, you lock the door by touching the outside of the door handle. You unlock it by touching the inside (natural when you grab the door handle to open it).

Anyway, I got a call. "I can't lock the door!" he said. I repeated my instructions of tapping the outside of the door handle. "Nope," he said, "Ever time I try it, it opens right up!"

I had to explain to him he was unlocking when he checked and to just look for a little red light that blinks when it locked. Yup, that was blinking away.

I don't think he still trusted that the door was really locked...

My new car has an app that sends me an alert if the car is left unlocked, plus i can just lock it from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 12-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But they used the same oil can icon for that reminder, so it was confusing from her description. But I was able to verify that it was NOT the red light oil can, indicating low oil pressure (an emergency - stop the engine NOW).

They should use a different icon for the oil change warning.
I'm hoping new cars have better communication with those displays in the car. Like instead of the red/yellow oil lights on my 15 year old Honda, I hope it displays a message saying "oil change due now" or "low oil pressure - STOP CAR IMMEDIATELY!" as applicable.

The tech is here, but do they go the last little bit to communicating what the end user should do? I haven't ridden in any new cars lately so I honestly don't know what current cars do.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
It will work for awhile, but the cloudiness in a headlight is actually the plastic deteriorating. So you're just removing "dead" plastic and exposing a new layer to deteriorate...and that new layer might start clouding up even quicker.

I had a 2000 Intrepid that I tried the toothpaste trick on when it was maybe 8 or 9 years old. It helped somewhat, but it started to cloud up again. The car got totaled about 2 weeks after the 10 year mark, so I don't know how long the lights would have ultimately lasted.

Here's a photo of a car headlight that I refinished a year ago. I started with 400 grit, then 600, and finally 2000 grit. At that point the headlight wasn't very clear. A clear coat really made it look nice. So far there's no sign of deterioration. The photo doesn't do it justice.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=akcv10&s=9
Old 12-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

My last two company cars have start buttons and when I get into an older car I always start looking for the button to push. I'm trained now.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm hoping new cars have better communication with those displays in the car. Like instead of the red/yellow oil lights on my 15 year old Honda, I hope it displays a message saying "oil change due now" or "low oil pressure - STOP CAR IMMEDIATELY!" as applicable.

The tech is here, but do they go the last little bit to communicating what the end user should do? I haven't ridden in any new cars lately so I honestly don't know what current cars do.
Her car is 5 years old, so fairly current. But I agree with you, they should take the extra steps to make it crystal clear. No reason not to with the available technology.

The oil change reminder was in the text display area of the dash (and monochrome), whereas the oil pressure light is a dashboard light. The difference probably would have been obvious to me, but it wasn't to her, and with her description, it took a while for me to convince myself.

But I sure was glad she called me. To have run it w/o oil pressure would have been a BIG problem. I guess I got through to her on that. Just when you think those kids never hear a word you say!

-ERD50
Old 12-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

Actually my 2011 Cruze has a message center that displays such messages. It tells you the percentage of time till an oil change is due, and would warn when one was due (as did my 2001 Chevy Pickup). Had a leak in the cooling system and the engine got hot, told me it turned off the ac and other messages. Also provides a tire pressure monitor that displays the pressures numerically so you can use that with a tire pump to inflate the tires. (note that this shows how cold weather can take the tire pressure down)
Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The new VW rental I drove recently had no mechanical key slots as a backup to the key fob. Quite a few new cars are like that. If the car battery is dead, you are in big trouble. Can't pop the hood to jump the battery in order for the key fob to work. What do you do?

I understand that some cars can be jacked up to gain access to the wiring to the battery to allow it to be jumped. On others, they could reach the hood release mechanism with some contraption. Either way, it's something done on a car lift, not by the roadside. Oh joy!
Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The new VW rental I drove recently had no mechanical key slots as a backup to the key fob. Quite a few new cars are like that. If the car battery is dead, you are in big trouble. Can't pop the hood to jump the battery in order for the key fob to work. What do you do?

I understand that some cars can be jacked up to gain access to the wiring to the battery wiring allow it to be jumped. On others, they could reach the hood release mechanism with some contraption. Either way, it's something done on a car lift, not by the roadside. Oh joy!
You could end up like this unfortunate guy. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2253934
Old 12-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I understand that some cars can be jacked up to gain access to the wiring to the battery to allow it to be jumped. On others, they could reach the hood release mechanism with some contraption. Either way, it's something done on a car lift, not by the roadside. Oh joy!
The newer VW's have a hidden key slot within the handle button of the driver's door. It's shown in the owner's manual.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The newer VW's have a hidden key slot within the handle button of the driver's door. It's shown in the owner's manual.
Ah, same as with the Corvette that trapped and killed its owner, it pays to read the manual.

As a car renter, I did not bother to read the manual, and if I were locked out of the car, I would not be able to reach the manual in the glove box. And as mentioned earlier, I did not even read the manual to change the language of the display from Czech to English.

By the way, I searched the Web and some cars do not have the same hidden key slot like the VW. Their owners are truly stuck.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...and where'd they hide the ashtray and cigarette lighter?
I'll help as soon as I can figure out how to dim my high beams. I can't find the foot switch.

Wanted to use fog lights in DW'S Wrangler the other day. Couldn't figure it out, just checked the manual for the next time. I don't know why we missed it, you pull out on the light stem and it pops out switching the lights on. How obvious.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #53

How timely as just tonight I was driving home thinking how DARK it was, my headlights were not really lighting up much, and when I turned into my driveway I prayed nobody was walking in it as it was pitch black! Must be the new headlight type.

Its a new Toyota Sienna, and it has the handy "Come in for Maintenance" message every 5K miles.

I hope they don't have a "This Auto is worn out" message at 100K miles

It would be easy to do with the computers in the cars.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a 2013 RAM with all kinds of cool gadgets... its like flying the space shuttle. I love all the techie stuff. Keeps me well informed with the operating conditions of the Cummins diesel engine. Turbo info, exhaust brake info, etc. and keeps track of the oil filters, fuel filter, and air filter conditions.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...and where'd they hide the ashtray and cigarette lighter?
Cigarette lighters are now an option since so few folks smoke, make them pay for the lighters. (the outlets are now used by MP3 players and cellphones)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

UV light plays a big part in headlight hazing. You can preserve your lights by applying polymer wax or a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. 303 contains an effective UV screen -- kind of like suntan lotion for your car.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
UV light plays a big part in headlight hazing. You can preserve your lights by applying polymer wax or a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. 303 contains an effective UV screen -- kind of like suntan lotion for your car.
Or you can add a cover material such as Lamin-X:

Lamin-x Protective Films : Headlight, Tail Light and Fog Light Protection
Old 12-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Or you can add a cover material such as Lamin-X:

Lamin-x Protective Films : Headlight, Tail Light and Fog Light Protection
Also a good idea. Lamin-x also protects against light impacts like small stones -- I've got it on my glass headlights.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #59

Chalk one up to being cheap. My new car purchase was/is a 2012 Honda fit base model with a manual transmission. Not too many bells and whistles and the maintenance minder is straightforward. (I do, however, always have to look up how to change the clock when it loses a minute or two or DST changes....)

Granted, compared to my '95 F150, it is pretty advanced, but nothing like many of the vehicles on this thread!
Old 12-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #60

Under the hood now most areas are covered by plastic panels that must be removed to access the engine. What is the purpose, to reduce drag?