Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
My experience is largely for Illinois and like RE2Boys, I've found that data coverage on interstates between cities is non-existent. .
That's interesting as it may be an Illinois issue. I travel all over the U.S. (and Canada) on oil & gas projects (for 25 years now) and find that along the interstates is where I get the best coverage. I usually see cell towers along the freeways, too.

Since having cell phone starting in 1988, I have used AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, the clones (PagePlus, Straight Talk, etc), and some provider names you would not recognize and never had a connection problem along a highway. I have problems in remote areas of North Dakota west of Minot, but that is to be expected.

My current provider is Page Plus (Verizon towers) and I have issues in southeastern Oklahoma as for some strange reason, they don't have service there. That area is populated too.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just wanted to add a quick note here. I use an Android (KitKat) application called Pocket Casts to manage my podcasts (both audio and video) on my Samsung Tablet.

This application does not have the option to install it on the microSD card. But it stores everything you download on the microSD card automatically. So right now, it is using about about 20 Megabytes in application space and cache in the main memory. But it using 1 Gigabyte on my SD card -- these are all the podcasts and videocasts that I have downloaded and archived on my device.

So this application is accommodating a microSD card perfectly for me.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any recommended podcasts?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With my previous cellphone, which was really lacking in internal memory, I used an android app (app2sd) which manages the movement of apps to the SD card. When installed it will scan all your apps and tell you which ones can be moved to the SD card or if you install a new app it will automatically (if supported) pop up and ask you if you want the app installed on the SD card. Seemed to work good for me.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone have any experience with Republic Wireless, I want smart phone ability and free national calling only when we are away from home. We have a grandfathered dumb 4
phone plan that we use for our business. RW seems as though it might give me what I need at a good price, if it works as advertised. I noticed it was endorsed by Mr MM.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Republic
Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Republic Wireless,
We use Republic; started with the DEFY XT, but upgraded to Moto X as soon as it came out. It is a real smart phone and the screen is big enough for my big fingers. We use $10 plan except when we travel and need the Internet. It is easy to switch right from the phone.
Often I log on to wifi when at Kaiser and other places - as a guest. It is same as using a wifi on our laptop.
They did over the air update last month (no problem), so we now have Kit cat OS. DW loves the phone, she checks Facebook, email, inventory and shopping list while in the store. It's great! One phone is enough for now, but I might get another when they cut the price. They have specials now & then. It works for us (unlimited everything), but it is not for everyone.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a republic moto-x in January, and so far it's been fine. I also use the $10 plan, which gives you handoff between wifi and Sprint cellular. That plan gives you copious data via wifi and phone only while on sprint. So far it operates fine and saves me about 30 bucks per month compared to my previous verizon contract with old dumb phone.

I think if I was still running a business, I would get something using verizon's network, simply because it has better coverage and seemed more reliable. Retired, I can work with the holes in the network and have become pretty good at finding wifi to allow data when away from home while maintaining the 10/ mo. plan.

Republic's phones will not work on any service besides theirs, one caveat you need to get comfortable with, and I am sure it is frequently a deal killer.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote