Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
New cell phone dilemma.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 942
New cell phone dilemma.

I am on the fence about a new cell phone. First, let me explain that I am not very familiar with smartphones. I have had mostly dumb phones for making calls. But sometimes, I sure would like to have Data available, and not just a couple of hundred gig. Enter Walmart $30 data plan (5 gig. of data and only 100 min cell and unlimited texts) This is what got me started. I don't use phone all that much.

Didn't want to buy an expensive phone, so decided on a Moto G (Made by Motorola) which for the money ($200) has decent specs and comes in 16 gb, but no SD card and only in 3G. Really wanted 4G Lte for internet browsing and internet speed. They are now coming out with a Moto G Lte this week. However, it only has an 8 gb. internal drive ($220). It has a slot for a SD card on this model (which the other one didn't. BUT, YOU CAN'T WRITE TO IT. The new KitKat operating system that comes with these Google phones, now will not let you write to your SD card, and the only thing allowed there are pictures you take, and possibly a movie (if you rent it from Google)

So my question is this. How restrictive do you think that 8 Gib internal drive is going to be. Your really only left with 5.2 after operating system and their applications. So any applications and data you want to download and use is going to have to go on that 5 gig remaining internal drive and not the SD card. I don't care about having music on it, but it would be nice to have a few audio books on it, and they take up some room and I don't think I will be able to put those on SD either.

Any comments and experience you can throw my way?
__________________

__________________
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,453
I have the Moto G (16gb) and it more than meets my memory requirements (apps, music, photos). Apps don't take up a lot of memory so that shouldn't be a concern for you. You would have to store quite a few audio books on it before memory would be an issue. Good phone for the money IMO, and like the fact that it's unlocked.
__________________

__________________
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 575
I am new to smartphones too. I just bought a Nokia 521 and use the Nokia prepaid for $30. Almost similar to the Walmart prepaid and comes with unlimited data (full speed for the 1st 5GB and then throttles down). The phone has 4G and can accept an internal micro SD. I use a 32 GB. I like that it is a Windows phone. It will sync with my calendar, contacts and OneDrive on my Desktop and Laptop that are running Windows 8.1. I paid $80 for the phone.
__________________
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,166
We have three iphone 4S 8GB phones and no one complains about not having enough internal memory or anything else for that matter.

(at one time, General Motors accounting system would easily fit on that much memory).

Now if you are going to use your phone as a replacement for a laptop or TV set, get more memory.
__________________
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,914
As I'm getting older, I'm coming to see the logic in switching from a smartphone to a dumbphone and shifting my smartphone activity onto a 4G-enabled tablet or tablet with a 4G mifi/jetpack
__________________
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 942
Well, you really have to view the one I am considering more like a 8 gig, as the SD card is only good for pictures. Can't use it for much else.

This is a total un-frugal move on my part. I may regret my $300 purchase (with case and other stuff I need for it) and having to pay $30 a month instead of the usual $10 I got by with before.t. I need this like a whole in the head, and really shouldn't be buying it. But, I just want to see what it's like. So it is just a fun toy for me to experience before I kick the bucket. Maybe after the novelty, I'll come back to my senses and go back to my dumb pre-paid $10 a mo plan.

Just concerned with that 8 gb internal memory being enough cause you can't do anything with the SD except put pictures on it, and not something I regret buying cause the memory was too small. I might want to put a couple of silly games on it like Angry Birds and maybe some casino playing game, in addition to some of the useful apps.

Zinger1487. How do you like your Moto G over all. Have you had other smart phones?
__________________
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cavalier
Posts: 2,317
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone with Kit Kat Android OS. Writing to the SD card is no problem at all. I don't now why the Moto G would not allow that.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone with Kit Kat Android OS. Writing to the SD card is no problem at all. I don't now why the Moto G would not allow that.

It is my understanding that KitKat now does not let you write to the SD card.
https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn

Kitkat Issue: Can't Write to External SD Card - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
__________________
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
Just got a Nexus 5 few days ago from Google for $350. Set up a $40 T-Mobile account. Its easy to turn off data and use WiFi so 500 mb is enough.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
This is a total un-frugal move on my part. I may regret my $300 purchase (with case and other stuff I need for it) and having to pay $30 a month instead of the usual $10 I got by with before.t. I need this like a whole in the head, and really shouldn't be buying it. But, I just want to see what it's like. So it is just a fun toy for me to experience before I kick the bucket. Maybe after the novelty, I'll come back to my senses and go back to my dumb pre-paid $10 a mo plan.
I would hardly consider a smart phone a novelty. I use mine constantly and couldn't imagine getting along without one. From checking prices and product reviews while I'm shopping to looking up directions, checking local movie times, weather forecasts, proximity to the nearest gas station/store/restaurant, finding a restaurant with the type of food I like, reading my latest book, snapping photos of interesting things and events, keeping up my shopping list...virtually anything I would use a computer/notepad, pen and pencil for can be done with a smartphone, and it fits in the palm of my hand. An iPhone/android phone can be purchased for $200, and a monthly voice/data plan usually for around $60 on the low end. It seems like a bargain for me. I don't get all these people who argue they don't need a smart phone and think it's a luxury item. I am sure I save far more than the cost of the phone and monthly service by using it to be more efficient.

As for capacity, I have a 32GB iPhone, and I currently have 14.7GB available, so if I dropped down to the 16GB model I would have to delete some photos or songs. 8GB would be too frustrating for me.
__________________
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I would hardly consider a smart phone a novelty. I use mine constantly and couldn't imagine getting along without one. From checking prices and product reviews while I'm shopping to looking up directions, checking local movie times, weather forecasts, proximity to the nearest gas station/store/restaurant, finding a restaurant with the type of food I like, reading my latest book, snapping photos of interesting things and events, keeping up my shopping list...virtually anything I would use a computer/notepad, pen and pencil for can be done with a smartphone, and it fits in the palm of my hand. An iPhone/android phone can be purchased for $200, and a monthly voice/data plan usually for around $60 on the low end. It seems like a bargain for me. I don't get all these people who argue they don't need a smart phone and think it's a luxury item. I am sure I save far more than the cost of the phone and monthly service by using it to be more efficient.

As for capacity, I have a 32GB iPhone, and I currently have 14.7GB available, so if I dropped down to the 16GB model I would have to delete some photos or songs. 8GB would be too frustrating for me.
Well music and photo's can be stored on SD card. It's the applications I'm worried about. I agree, access to data while your out can be very handy. That is why I am considering a purchase. I get by with very little in cell phone use, so it is the data I am interested in having.

I just want to know if having 5 gig left for APPLICATIONS on the internal phone memory would be sufficient. I know movies, pictures, and music take up a lot of room. But that could be put on the SD card.

OK, Let me put it this way. Here are my two choices.

Moto G, with 16 gb internal memory, no SD card, and can only use 3G

Moto G LTE, with 8 gb internal memory, has 4 G Lte, has memory card reader that you can't store any applications on (it is restricted) Only camera pictures and movies can go on card.

Having used smart phones before: What one would you chose?
__________________
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,826
I have 47 applications taking up 1.32GB, so it looks like apps don't take up that much space. I would not under any circumstances buy a phone that does not support LTE, so given the choice between the two, I would go with the 8GB LTE model.
__________________
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
David1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I am new to smartphones too. I just bought a Nokia 521 and use the Nokia prepaid for $30. Almost similar to the Walmart prepaid and comes with unlimited data (full speed for the 1st 5GB and then throttles down). The phone has 4G and can accept an internal micro SD. I use a 32 GB. I like that it is a Windows phone. It will sync with my calendar, contacts and OneDrive on my Desktop and Laptop that are running Windows 8.1. I paid $80 for the phone.
Can you give me some information on how you bought this phone and the $30 plan? I googled it and could not come up with anything specific. Looks like it uses T-Mobile. Did you just go in a T-Mobile store? Thanks.
__________________
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Zinger1487. How do you like your Moto G over all. Have you had other smart phones?
I like my Moto G a lot, I'm not a hard core smartphone user like some put certainly have found value in it for more than just making phone calls. There are many useful apps out there and it keeps growing ever day. Since I have a 'pay as you go' plan I keep data turned off until I have a need for it. That certainly helps to extend the battery life, the last charge on my Moto G lasted 10 days. My previous smart phone was a very basic android phone (LG Optimus) that just didn't have enough internal memory to be of much use. I think 8gb will be enough unless you turn hard core, if that happens sell it and upgrade. They still have pretty good resale value right now so it won't be a big loss.
__________________
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
My Nexus 5 shows for apps 0.88 GB used, 12 GB free.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,152
With KitKat Android the apps can still go on the SD memory card. It is just that the app has to be written to allow it and work this way. For instance, most games, Skype, etc allow themselves to be written onto the SD card.

What you do is install the app normally. Then you go into settings and for that application you click move to SD card. The option will only be available for apps that allow it. I think as applications are updated, more and more allow this. And generally it is photos and videos that take up a lot of space, not applications.

I have recently done a lot of research on smart phones. I can tell you that the Moto G or the updated Moto G LTE model is a great choice. The only major shortcoming compared to a much more expensive phone is a lesser camera.

You can look on your current Moto G and see how much memory is used by each application. That will give you an idea.
__________________
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Well music and photo's can be stored on SD card. It's the applications I'm worried about. I agree, access to data while your out can be very handy. That is why I am considering a purchase. I get by with very little in cell phone use, so it is the data I am interested in having.

I just want to know if having 5 gig left for APPLICATIONS on the internal phone memory would be sufficient. I know movies, pictures, and music take up a lot of room. But that could be put on the SD card.

OK, Let me put it this way. Here are my two choices.

Moto G, with 16 gb internal memory, no SD card, and can only use 3G

Moto G LTE, with 8 gb internal memory, has 4 G Lte, has memory card reader that you can't store any applications on (it is restricted) Only camera pictures and movies can go on card.

Having used smart phones before: What one would you chose?
The difference between 3g and 4 G Lte is substantial in terms of speed. I only have 8GB on my Samsung(can add SD), hasn't been a problem.
MRG
__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
With KitKat Android the apps can still go on the SD memory card. It is just that the app has to be written to allow it and work this way. For instance, most games, Skype, etc allow themselves to be written onto the SD card.

What you do is install the app normally. Then you go into settings and for that application you click move to SD card. The option will only be available for apps that allow it. I think as applications are updated, more and more allow this. And generally it is photos and videos that take up a lot of space, not applications.

I have recently done a lot of research on smart phones. I can tell you that the Moto G or the updated Moto G LTE model is a great choice. The only major shortcoming compared to a much more expensive phone is a lesser camera.

You can look on your current Moto G and see how much memory is used by each application. That will give you an idea.
Thank you all very much for your answers. That was very helpful. I know about the camera, but considering I never had a camera in a phone, I look at it as a step up.

Good to hear about battery life. When you talk about turning data off, are you talking about turning wireless off or cell phone data?

David1961: The $30 Data plan I speak of is a Walmart deal and uses T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't really deal with it. In fact if you read any of the information on it on T-mobile or Walmart site, they state that it will only work on a phone you purchase from Walmart store and have activated by Walmart. This is actually not true. As long as you buy an unlocked GSM phone, most models will work. I think there is a place on T-Mobile to check comparability. You can also Google and ask a question to see if phone you are interested in works ok with it. The Moto's do, the Nexus 4 and 5 do, certain I Phones do.

You need to buy the activation kit, which gives you the sim card, and the fist month's service. I'll give you a link on Amazon for it.. You can read the comments there too. You pay up front (usually a auto debit) of $30 a month. It gives you 5 gb. of data (up to 4G). After 5 gig of data, you are throttled down to 2G. You get only 100 calls (both ways) and after that they would charge you .10 cents a minute for any overage (so good to keep an extra $10 in your account for any overages) It gives you unlimited texts.

Here is link to activation card on Amazon:

Amazon.com: T-Mobile Micro Sim Starter Kit With $30 Initial Value With Activation Code: Cell Phones & Accessories
__________________
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
8GB LTE model
Old 06-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
Sirka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 200
8GB LTE model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I have 47 applications taking up 1.32GB, so it looks like apps don't take up that much space. I would not under any circumstances buy a phone that does not support LTE, so given the choice between the two, I would go with the 8GB LTE model.
+1
we do not have LTE (4G) in our area, but I know it is coming. It's good to have options, because we will keep our phone (Moto X - no SD card) for couple of years.
__________________
Hard to say what it was, when it isn't.
FIRED in 2005 @ 55
Sirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I would hardly consider a smart phone a novelty. I use mine constantly and couldn't imagine getting along without one. From checking prices and product reviews while I'm shopping to looking up directions, checking local movie times, weather forecasts, proximity to the nearest gas station/store/restaurant, finding a restaurant with the type of food I like, reading my latest book, snapping photos of interesting things and events, keeping up my shopping list...virtually anything I would use a computer/notepad, pen and pencil for can be done with a smartphone, and it fits in the palm of my hand. An iPhone/android phone can be purchased for $200, and a monthly voice/data plan usually for around $60 on the low end. It seems like a bargain for me. I don't get all these people who argue they don't need a smart phone and think it's a luxury item. I am sure I save far more than the cost of the phone and monthly service by using it to be more efficient.



As for capacity, I have a 32GB iPhone, and I currently have 14.7GB available, so if I dropped down to the 16GB model I would have to delete some photos or songs. 8GB would be too frustrating for me.

I don't have one and mostly the reason is my eyesight. My distance vision is perfect from 4 foot out, but I can't read small print very well but I have readers strung about everywhere except when I out and about and thus don't have a need for them. Since I am home 80% of the time I prefer using my iPad. I also love the fact the dumb phones don't need to be charged but every 3-4 days. If I wore glasses all the time or had my youthful eyes back I would buy one. But I did the next best thing and bought my GF one. She loves it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best place to get a cell phone / cell phone plan? bank5 Other topics 4 09-18-2009 06:01 AM
Re-activate old cell phone, or keep new phone? thefed Other topics 10 05-09-2009 10:42 PM
new cell phone Khan Other topics 1 02-17-2007 09:20 PM
Replacing The Landbased Phone With a Cell Phone Danny Other topics 12 11-04-2005 07:12 PM
Cheap emergency cell phone plan cute fuzzy bunny FIRE and Money 30 09-18-2004 06:13 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.