New Computer Monitor settings

Payin-the-Toll

Recycles dryer sheets
Old computer (1993 Compaq) that my son-in-law refurbished for me died (hard-drive--blue screen of death)--got 4 years out of it. Son-in-law helped me order a new one off the net. Monitor is a 17" LCD. Computer keeps prompting me to change settings to 1440x900 for best resolution. If I do that then print is too small to read. If I use the zoom feature to make it bigger, then screen widens out and I have to scroll back and forth all the time to read things like this board. I keep the settings at the lowest, (800x600),--print is large, everything contained on screen, no scrolling. Anyway, son-in-law says that if I keep using the low settings, I'll burn up the screen. Any truth to what he's saying?

First, try changing settings regarding text font (right click on the desktop and choose "Properties," and click on the "Advanced" button on the Settings tab.

Screen.jpg

Second, I don't believe that using the low settings will blow out the screen.

You absolutely, positively wont burn out the screen using a lower resolution setting. The only thing that could be damaging might be using a resolution that requires a Hz value thats outside the range of the screen. Which would then either not display at all or if it was a tube, squeal.

The only thing that under-res'ing a screen might cause is poor rendering. LCD's have a native resolution and display most clearly at that resolution. May get muddy at lower resolutions.

My son thinks that it's not a Windows setting, it's a monitor setting. Some new LCDS prompt you to change to their native resolution.

If you like the resolution that you're already using and just want to get rid of the message, push the MENU button on your monitor and check settings and look around in the menus for a way to clear the resolution message warning.

Check your monitor instruction book if your have one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom