Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #21
Administrator

I also recently got a new laptop. I watched the outlet pages for Dell and lenovo for almost a month checking in every few days until I found a configuration I wanted. They are posted every few days and quickly sell. IMO there's more to choosing a new computer than price - the time and hassle involved in changing computers is substantial and so my choice is driven by this as well. I wanted make a choice that would carry me for a long while.

My last laptop lasted about 7 years of daily abuse (3 batteries, 2 keyboards and countless mouse pointer covers). When I bought the last one I could not imagine that the huge hard drive and abundant ram would ever be an issue but they were dwarfed by currently available machines.

Be generous is your estimates of hard drive/ram needs. Make sure that your choice will allow you to expand ram in the future. The internet has profoundly changed how we use computers and ram is bigger concern than in past years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am grateful for the input received by each and every one of you.
I am using your input to continue the education process.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #23

A lower end computer with a graphics card holds strong appeal to me.
The CPU rating web site was really helpful in bring order (at least in my mind) to the whole CPU situation. With Staples and other stores, it seems you need to give up the idea of a graphics card and be happy with integrated graphics.

This candidate has appeal to me:
Dell Vostro 430 Mini tower
Intel i3 540
2 G ram
Video card NVIDIA GeForce G310
HD 320G, Window 7 Home
Monitor Dell E2011H Widescreen Flat Panel Display

Price $579

Ram seems a little weak at 2G. Windows 7 Home. Is this and different than Windows 7 professional?

Your input is appreciated.

Free to canoe
Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Windows 7 Home. Is this and different than Windows 7 professional?
Which one is right for you? - Microsoft Windows
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #25

Quote:
What application is driving the need for a separate graphics card?

Windows Home is different from Windows Professional. But for the use you indicated, there is no need for Professional. See the Windows 7 site for details.

Also, at this point, you may as well wait to see what the Monday after thanksgiving has in store in terms of discounts.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
What application is driving the need for a separate graphics card?

Windows Home is different from Windows Professional. But for the use you indicated, there is no need for Professional. See the Windows 7 site for details.

Also, at this point, you may as well wait to see what the Monday after thanksgiving has in store in terms of discounts.

My current computer I think is graphics limited. Probably limited by other things, too. This is evident when I go to a graphics loaded web site or run something off of Utube.
Also, integrated graphics are used to save money. Maybe they are cutting corners in other areas, too.
Logical or not, these are my thoughts.

Good to get the thoughts out on paper to see if they merit clinging to.

Free to canoe
Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Once you go laptop, you never never go back, stop!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Once you go laptop, you never never go back, stop!
What a coincidence, I was about to say the same regarding a 30" 23" flat-screen LCD monitor...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
The CPU rating web site was really helpful in bring order (at least in my mind) to the whole CPU situation. With Staples and other stores, it seems you need to give up the idea of a graphics card and be happy with integrated graphics.

This candidate has appeal to me:
Dell Vostro 430 Mini tower
Intel i3 540
2 G ram
Video card NVIDIA GeForce G310
HD 320G, Window 7 Home
Monitor Dell E2011H Widescreen Flat Panel Display

Price $579

Ram seems a little weak at 2G. Windows 7 Home. Is this and different than Windows 7 professional?

Your input is appreciated.

Free to canoe
4GM of memory is preferable if affordable. What is the maximum memory for this system?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #30

Current integrated graphic chips can handle youtube video or DVD playback with ease. You'll see no issues there. If you plan to run full resolution (1070p) HD video, then I would research the capabilities of the integrated graphics chip (and even the card) to support it.

There are two downsides to the integrated graphic chips that I am aware of
a) They share your system memory. The more memory you allocate to them, the better they perform (up to some limit), but the less that's lef for your system. 4GB should be plenty for both. I have 2GB and don't see any issues. But I haven't tried 1070p HD on my notebook.

b) On some AMD chips, the integrated graphics chip's communication with memory is tied to the processors clock speed. When the processor tries to save energy by dropping its clock speed, the graphics display suffers. I don't think this is an issue with Intel chips, but I don't have current information.

All this talk is making me want to upgrade
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I like HP desktops, ...
My last three computers have been HP desktops, both "Pavilion", and I currently use two, one running Vista (Intel 64-bit processor) for my wife and one running Linux for me (AMD 64-bit processor). I got mine Summer 2006 -- it's been completely dependable. I added 2GB of ram and a wireless card. Good systems.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought the new HP Compaq 6000 Pro All-In-One, their first enterprise AIO PC...love it!

HP Compaq 6000 Pro All-in-One PC specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #33

This showed up in the Chicago Tribune Frys ad this morning for $549.99 after savings: Dell Inspirion 580-6405NBC. Frys #6403192.
Has Intel Core I3, 6GB RAM, 750 GB HD, Win 7 Home Premium. There's no monitor, but I'm guessing you can save some money here by reusing your old one.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Current integrated graphic chips can handle youtube video or DVD playback with ease. You'll see no issues there. If you plan to run full resolution (1070p) HD video, then I would research the capabilities of the integrated graphics chip (and even the card) to support it.

There are two downsides to the integrated graphic chips that I am aware of
a) They share your system memory. The more memory you allocate to them, the better they perform (up to some limit), but the less that's lef for your system. 4GB should be plenty for both. I have 2GB and don't see any issues. But I haven't tried 1070p HD on my notebook.

b) On some AMD chips, the integrated graphics chip's communication with memory is tied to the processors clock speed. When the processor tries to save energy by dropping its clock speed, the graphics display suffers. I don't think this is an issue with Intel chips, but I don't have current information.

All this talk is making me want to upgrade
Thank you for clarifying the graphics situation for me.
Letting go of the graphics card obsession opens up my options.

Free to canoe
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
4GM of memory is preferable if affordable. What is the maximum memory for this system?
4G is the maximum offered.

Free to canoe
Old 11-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #36

Quote:

Free to canoe
I believe the correct answer is 16GB. Dell is only offering you 4G on this setup.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #37

Funny about computers and fulfilling your needs. Two years ago I traded a Toshiba laptop and an old desktop system for a new handbuilt desktop. DW wanted a new desktop system also. Now I'm trading both of those for a new laptops. I'm not a fan of laptops but they take up so much less room. I'm sick of my computer desk, the computer, the monitor, the keyboard, the mouse, the lamp, etc. and the mess in general that it creates. I going to trade everything for another laptop and learn to live with it. Everyhthing is going to be wireless for us in the future. My mind is made up. Our printer will be offline. So, DW and I will be back to laptops with a central printer that may be in the garage.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
My mind is made up. Our printer will be offline. So, DW and I will be back to laptops with a central printer that may be in the garage.
Not quite following this line of reasoning. I think a wireless single printer for all household computers makes a lot of sense -- that's what I have. But I dislike laptops, and with some effort, I finally persuaded my wife to get a desktop. So we have two desktops, now.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:

Free to canoe
I looked at the Dell configurator for the Dell Vostro 430 Mini tower Intel i3 540 and it offers up to 8GB. I would think that would be enough to keep this computer in productive use for the rest of the decade - as long as you don't upgrade your SW too much over the years. 4GB now, another 4GB in 4-5 years. It has plenty of connections and free bays. It looks like a reasonable configuration.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Do a price comparison at www.tigerdirect.com
They often cut the price on perfectly good new "leftover" models of most major manufacturers when a newer model is released.