Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Never understood the fascination with cars. If I could hire someone to drive me around for the rest of my life I would. The lesser the amount of time I have to drive the better.
This is me about cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Cars and driving are "some" of the most enjoyable things in my life. I like to drive cars, work on them, buy and sell them. I have other hobbies too but I'd put "cars" at the top of my list. In my case, I'd much rather drive myself than pay someone to drive me. I'll drive well over 50k miles this year and still am not satisfied.
This is me about boats.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I had a 1965 Stingray convertible (C2) back in the day. I'll never be able to afford to get that back in my hot hands again, though.

I'm itching for a C5 convertible with low miles and probably will start the search in the Fall. Why not!

As for a new one, GO FOR IT! (you only live once and that is one amazing machine).
Living in the Woodlands, you probably already know to checkout Corvettes of Houston (a.k.a. Corvette World)... They should still have have some top notched low mileage C5's. You can probably pick up a really nice one for 18 to 22k, depending on mileage and equipment. I actually bought one of my early (C4) Vettes from them and was happy with the deal. They had it detailed out on the showroom floor just "like new"...

Old 08-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #23

I too jumped from a Miata (and a motorcycle) to something a little more indulgent. Let me say I'll always maintain that you can't get more fun per dollar than a Miata; I went through each of the three styles from 1993 through 2006. Then in 2008 I went for a Cayman S. Since then it got exchanged for a pickup and DW has the BMW convertible. Let me say I miss the Cayman more than any. But there's only so much garage space. As for the Corvette, if it fits the budget and you want it, why not? Sometimes LBYM can be carried too far!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Living in the Woodlands, you probably already know to checkout Corvettes of Houston (a.k.a. Corvette World)... They should still have have some top notched low mileage C5's. You can probably pick up a really nice one for 18 to 22k, depending on mileage and equipment. I actually bought one of my early (C4) Vettes from them and was happy with the deal. They had it detailed out on the showroom floor just "like new"...
there is a private lot in champions too - frank's vettes? some nice ones also on CL
Old 08-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #25

I picked up an 88 Firebird GTA 5.7 liter in 1998 just for fun. Haven't regretted it. Had to spend a few bucks on it now and then. Still have it.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Living in the Woodlands, you probably already know to checkout Corvettes of Houston (a.k.a. Corvette World)... They typicality have some top notched low mileage C5's. You can probably pick up a really nice one for 18 to 22k, depending on mileage and equipment. I actually bought one of my early (C4) Vettes from them and was happy with the deal. They had it detailed out on the showroom floor just "like new".
Yes, I close my eyes every time I go by the store. I'm afraid if I start looking now, I will be an owner very soon. I poke around the Corvette Forum on occasion to check the pulses of owners to see what's out there also. I really want to wait for the Fall for two reasons;

One is my 2014 VW Passat is being bought back by VW (Dieselgate) in October and the $29 K they will be writing me a check for will be the funding for a Vette (although I won't spend that much on one);

And two, the Fall is a good time to buy as a lot of "garage queens" are heading back to their winter resting place and I may find an anxious to sell owner.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I picked up an 88 Firebird GTA 5.7 liter in 1998 just for fun. Haven't regretted it. Had to spend a few bucks on it now and then. Still have it.
I love my '95 firehawk
Old 08-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
My leather side bolster wore out in a few years, although my car was lowered from its stock height. Had indy car gas adjustable shocks front and back. Front seat needed to be replaced with a racing bucket for better support and lower weight.

Here is a little video some might enjoy; being able to drive the ring is a bucket list item, although it will probably never happen:

I'll need to replace my seat soon - but not with a racing bucket.

Thanks for posting the video!
Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Purchased a new corvette coupe way back in 1999. That year, DH and I were standing in a parking lot when a car drove past, and my head turned so fast to look at it go by, I almost gave myself a neck injury.

Me: Whoa! What a beautiful car! What car was that?
DH: Oh, you don't know? That's the new C5 corvette.
Me: I really want to get a closer look. Do you think the salesman will laugh at me if I ask if there is one with an automatic transmission?
DH: These days, automatic transmission is standard. Manual transmission is an option.
Me: I want to test drive one tomorrow!

It was a really fun, powerful, thrilling ride. I enjoyed my ownership of it for the 4 years I owned it, until DH convinced me to sell it, a decision I often regretted. I also enjoyed all the high tech features, including the heads-up display. I noticed that on the freeways, cars in front would move out of the way, seemingly out of respect? Lots of thumbs up by other motorists. There are quite a lot of corvette enthusiasts out there I realized.

There were several recalls on this model which were fixed under warrantee. Then there was a really serious defect I found 1 1/2 years into ownership--I had several episodes of uncontrolled acceleration (not unlike the Toyota debacle years later) when I first started the car in the morning. It was like the gas pedal was floored! Fortunately, the car was in park, so it didn't accelerate anywhere. The dealership service manager found that a computer chip module responsible for acceleration had a "glitch" that would occasionally malfunction that caused this event. They very quietly replaced the defective computer part, and life was good again. But it was at this point, DH wanted me to sell the car.

I did sell it private party to a very happy gentleman and bought a new Lexus hardtop convertible sport coupe. Handled like a slug compared to the vette, but it certainly is cute.

I should add that the vette was so low to the ground, I had to get used to driving over speed bumps very carefully. Also steep driveways required special maneuvering to enter due to the long front end. But I think today's corvettes don't have such a long front end as the C5s did, so it's probably not so much an issue anymore.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Never understood the fascination with cars. If I could hire someone to drive me around for the rest of my life I would. The lesser the amount of time I have to drive the better.
To each their own obviously, but I love driving. Not on interstates but a sporty car on a curvy road sure puts a smile on my face.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
It may be more responsible to pay cash, but I financed mine. Didn't want to write that a big check for a car. So I put $25k down, and paid off the balance in a couple of months. For some reason, it felt better writing a few smaller checks than one big one.
OK. I think you obviously could afford to pay cash and, in my opinion met the test of "responsibility". Buying a Vette on credit if you only spend a couple thousand a month on the rest of your life seems a little out of balance to me?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #32

I love the looks of Vettes and getting down behind the wheel. The problem is getting back out.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I love the looks of Vettes and getting down behind the wheel. The problem is getting back out.
I'm starting to have that problem with a Honda Accord! Those also sit lower to the ground than many other cars.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Living in Germany now, blessed with this thing called an Autobahn. I used to think I would eventually come back to the US with a Porsche, as I could maybe get a solid military deal while stationed here. However, my latest trip home to the US killed that idea, because the roads are crap compared to Europe, and the slow American speed limits negate most of the fun of driving a high performance car.

Btw, my car is an exotic here in Germany: Honda Odyssey van. And yes, it's plenty fast on the Autobahn! At a fraction of the price too.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
anyone ever buy a new corvette? good or bad decision?
with everything i own being paid off, and my monthly living expense less than $1500, i have a couple grand extra coming in every month. i buy what i want and do what i want, i'm just not a high maint type.
i really love my miata, and my motorcycle but i've always considered a vette as a non practical 'look at me' luxury.

as time goes on, i feel like i need to spend some money and i've got that vette itch again. anyone been there, done that?
Yes, I've bought several new corvettes. "good or bad decision? " You're kidding right? You must not be a car person.
If you're on the East coast some of the best deals are at Kerbeck, Corvette by Kerbeck | Corvettes for Sale | #1 Largest Corvette Dealer! Kerbeck will pick you up at the Atlantic City airport if you fly in. This is where we buy all the new corvettes we've owned. Corvettes at Carlisle, Corvettes at Carlisle - America's Largest Fun-Filled Corvette Show, All Generations C6-C1, Swap Meet, Vendors, Parts, Accessories, For Sale is coming up the end of this month and you can get some deals there. Also if there's a corvette club in your area the people with newer corvettes sell or trade them in every few years so that's another source. Do watch out for the "race" clubs. You don't want 1 that someone has beat on the track.
You feel like you need to spend some money? The last new I bought was a 2014 and was around $70,000 before dealer discount and trade-in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 corvette.jpg (117.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
you can get a nice c4 for well under 10K, and a nice c5 for not much more than that

DW nixed the vette cause she didn't want me to be another old, bald, fat dude driving around in a vette sticking out like a turd in a punch bowl

so she let me get a 95 firehawk vert - roomier and just as fast
Some folks will admire the fact that you appreciate a Vettte.....others will snicker as you may resemble the above remark.

I had my sporty car fling in my 20s, fond memories of driving European roads with a manual tranny and good handling tires.

Now......it'd be all for show, trying to be who I ain't. Give me a practical minivan any day, must have trailer hitch.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #37

I ain't buying a new Vette until they make those tail lights round again..

Meanwhile, no one mentioned the Jeep Wrangler...Not a performance vehicle for certain, but it is affordable, versatile, and fun to tool around in.
The Wrangler community is every bit as active as the corvette folks.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
..........Meanwhile, no one mentioned the Jeep Wrangler........
Yea, I wonder why? Could it be because the thread is entitled "new corvette"?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, I wonder why? Could it be because the thread is entitled "new corvette"?
Goodness, is my post the only one you noticed that mentions a "non corvette" vehicle?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #40

Grand Sport for 2017, gorgeous:
2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Photos and Info News Car and Driver