Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
On point!

(some of us are living on the edge like this thread indicates)
Sorry, didn't follow?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshort52 View Post
What a great thread! All of the sudden I feel a little connection between some of the members here. I had no idea that there were so many Corvette owners here.
Yes lately I have also been hearing about caviar and lobster! It seems that there are some people finding creative ways to spend. My buddy had a Corvette and an Alfa Romeo in addition to daily drivers: BMW and Infiniti. His boat is a Hunter 49.

There seems to be plenty of passions just not getting voiced here. For us, it is fine wine and exotic travel. Plus very nice houses.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a 75' new and still have it today. Last year I did a body off restoration on it and I'm glad I still have it as it has so many memories.

My son bought a used 04 Z06, Z16 with 9000 miles on it several years ago and he claims he'll never sell it.

I drove a 2016 Z51 last weekend that a friend purchased and I have to say, when I get into a Vette whether a passenger or driver, I'm In Heaven!

Last year I drove a 2011 ZR1 and God only knows what over 650 hp (slight tune) can do on a track as I'll never get the chance.

The difference between a C3 and a C7 is night and day.

Follow your dreams!

If it were me, I would buy one that's 1- 2 years old that has been taken care of (I know they're out there) and take advantage of the depreciation.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Most expensive fix was having to replace the ECU and Prom. $454. Might have been related to a pinched ignition wire. I think the car was in a wreck in a previous life, which caused the pinched wire. I had the car in my garage with the dashboard apart for days before I tracked it down. But that was back in the days when being in the garage meant you weren't in the cube programming, so it was OK.

This GTA was my stress-reliever "spend some money on yourself" activity and was put through extreme use, if you know what I mean. Knock on wood, it's still going strong after all that. I baby it nowadays though. I drive it less than 5,000 miles a year and in my state that means it doesn't even have to pass emissions test, just has to have an intact exhaust system without leaks.

My ECU went out and it cost me some... but I do not think as much as yours...

My intake manifold gasket went out twice... my auto trans mount broke three times... radiator sprung a leak... alternator went out twice... both of the light lift motors lost their gear and you could not just replace that gear... paint was crap and had to have it painted... had to have the shocks (or struts, cannot remember what it had) replaced as the originals wore different and the car started to lean... I had the big whale wing and it cracked and started to rust underneath (but I never fixed this)...

For maintenance, the brakes lasted 25 to 30 K... also the same with the tires...

Also, I found out that the underside is connected in a way that if you lift it incorrectly you can bend the body panels... found out because when I was getting new tires they screwed up my front end qtr panel and I had to have that replaced... at least at their expense...

All of this and more... I just cannot remember the other things... and I had it 95K miles...

Sure, it was a fun car to drive and it felt like it was faster than my TL, even though the clock says otherwise... but my TL never broke a thing... only maintenance... and it was just as much fun to drive as the Bird... heck, in a way it was better as it was a 6 speed... and the brakes were MUCH better on the TL...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw this last night, Wow!
Ruby Red 2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible - MustangAttitude.com Photo Detail
Old 08-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #66

As a true LBYM guy I bought a very used '84 Vette , yeah I know, for a song in 1996. The car had 96k on the odometer and while it looked great it was in need of considerable tinkering. Over the next 7 years I put 60k miles on it and had a great time. Parked it out front at the lake house and sold it in short order. Then I switched to boats - a whole different story.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Fun thread....For several decades the corvette was the most bang for your buck domestic sports car. You got a lot of car for your money. If you want the "turn your head factor" get a new one. On the freeway its hard to tell what is coming at you. The new corvette front end looks a lot like the Ferrari 458.

If you want performance and value today I would look for a used Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500. You can get a low mileage one for $30k It won't turn heads because of the latest mustang update but it's a lot of car for $30k. The hp per liter is much better than GM vehicles.
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
Fun thread....For several decades the corvette was the most bang for your buck domestic sports car. You got a lot of car for your money. If you want the "turn your head factor" get a new one. On the freeway its hard to tell what is coming at you. The new corvette front end looks a lot like the Ferrari 458.

If you want performance and value today I would look for a used Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500. You can get a low mileage one for $30k It won't turn heads because of the latest mustang update but it's a lot of car for $30k. The hp per liter is much better than GM vehicles.

LOL... I remember reading a comparison of the 'supercars' on one of the car mags... it had the European cars and the Corvette C6 ZR1 IIRC...

They talked about how refined the Ferrari was and I think some other cars.... but then they started to write about the Corvette.... they started with something like 'Get out of the way, Yankee Doodle coming through'.... yep, the Corvette beat all the refined Euro cars in (IIRC) all categories... much faster top end... but, they did not like it because it was not 'refined'.... still, it got 1st place...

edit... WOW... I was wrong on some and especially how long ago it was... 1990... found the article...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...te-zr-1-page-4
Old 08-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Sorry, didn't follow?
You point is well taken on the general LBYM atmosphere here (drivers of old Honda, etc). But some of us look at auto spending with an eye toward fun and performance rather than making it fit the LBYM lifestyle.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

The Op stated that his LBYM lifestyle has left him with $2k extra per month. Blow it on lobsters, caviar, a corvette, or blow. lol
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You point is well taken on the general LBYM atmosphere here (drivers of old Honda, etc). But some of us look at auto spending with an eye toward fun and performance rather than making it fit the LBYM lifestyle.

If the M is large enough, the B can support more toys!

Unfortunately, it's "practical" for me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

If you can pay cash for it, go for it. Make sure to check on insurances.
OneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Why the hang up on paying cash? I admit we are in catch up mode. After a more than decade hiatus in buying any cars period, we finally "caught up" with the OP so to speak. We found a lightly used 2015 MX-5 PRHT this last Jan 2016. Fun Fun Fun! We thought it prudent to use other people's money, i.e. zero down nearly zero percent. It just becomes a $4xx automatic payment. I can't stand shelling out large gobs of cash, something in very short supply for us. Maybe we'll upgrade to the Vette in another decade. By then we'll have two SS checks to help out with the payments!
Old 08-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM View Post
Why the hang up on paying cash? I admit we are in catch up mode. After a more than decade hiatus in buying any cars period, we finally "caught up" with the OP so to speak. We found a lightly used 2015 MX-5 PRHT this last Jan 2016. Fun Fun Fun! We thought it prudent to use other people's money, i.e. zero down nearly zero percent. It just becomes a $4xx automatic payment. I can't stand shelling out large gobs of cash, something in very short supply for us. Maybe we'll upgrade to the Vette in another decade. By then we'll have two SS checks to help out with the payments!
I see your point But it's always been my policy to pay cash for my toys. Agree it takes a little more "conviction" to take the plunge and pay cash. But I think that is a good thing. If you can't get your mind around paying cash, maybe you don't want it enough?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #75

Quote:
Agree and this thread has shown that. Gotta have some fun sometime.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
The Op stated that his LBYM lifestyle has left him with $2k extra per month. Blow it on lobsters, caviar, a corvette, or blow. lol
Right, or save it up for a couple of years, and if you still want the Vette, pay cash.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My ECU went out and it cost me some... but I do not think as much as yours...

My intake manifold gasket went out twice... my auto trans mount broke three times... radiator sprung a leak... alternator went out twice... both of the light lift motors lost their gear and you could not just replace that gear... paint was crap and had to have it painted... had to have the shocks (or struts, cannot remember what it had) replaced as the originals wore different and the car started to lean... I had the big whale wing and it cracked and started to rust underneath (but I never fixed this)...

For maintenance, the brakes lasted 25 to 30 K... also the same with the tires...

Also, I found out that the underside is connected in a way that if you lift it incorrectly you can bend the body panels... found out because when I was getting new tires they screwed up my front end qtr panel and I had to have that replaced... at least at their expense...

All of this and more... I just cannot remember the other things... and I had it 95K miles...

Sure, it was a fun car to drive and it felt like it was faster than my TL, even though the clock says otherwise... but my TL never broke a thing... only maintenance... and it was just as much fun to drive as the Bird... heck, in a way it was better as it was a 6 speed... and the brakes were MUCH better on the TL...

Wow, you triggered some memories of my GTA repairs. None really expensive except the ECU. The guy who did the ECU was a fellow church member and I thought I had the inside track to a good deal. He knew his stuff, but he was expensive. Charged a lot for diagnosis. And he left my beautiful GTA baking in the hot sun for like a week while he got around to it. He had a lift in his own garage at his house! Anyway, he fixed it up like new. It would start but ran horribly, before the new ECU.

Your intake manifold gasket twice? Wow.

My trans mount is OK so far. I do have a trans fluid drip, though. It drips for about an hour after it is parked, then stops. Don't care, not gonna mess with it.

Radiator still OK! I know, amazing. I change the antifreeze every 5 years or so. I did need a new waterpump, now that I think of it. I do my own labor on the basic stuff, so water pump only cost me $29 or so.

Had to put in a new alternator. I got a good one even though it cost more, (only $85 I think at Autozone) so it would possibly last longer. Easy job.

Air conditioning died one week after I bought it. Never fixed it. Don't care.

MAF sensor light came on right after I bought it, so dealer gave me a brand new MAF for free! I was shocked.

MAF sensor light is on again, off again, now, but passes inspection somehow, probably since I drive it less than 5K per year.

The motors for the flip up headlights!! Yes, I had to fix both headlights. Youtubed it, and took it slow, spent weeks, an hour a day or so, taking them apart, dabbing on some Liquid Wrench and waiting, loosening all the old fasteners one by one. The only cost was $7 per headlight, for some new soft plastic bushings (little cylinders) that got destroyed with age and wear. I really enjoyed beating the Stealership on this one. They wanted something like $400 per headlight!! They wanted to just put a brand new motor assembly in. No way, Jose.

I think my car had brand new paint on it when I got it, because I think the dealer bought it from an auction as a wrecked car, for nothing, and had it repaired and painted. They were asking $3,800 for it. I saw it sitting on the lot for months so I went in snagged it for $2,500. Had 112K on the odo. Paint still looks OK since it has a garage.

It has the whale wing. Cracked and rusting. Don't care. I never drive it in the rain. Stays in the garage when I'm not driving it.

Brakes! Yes, I failed inspection once when the mechanic said it pulled sharply to the right when braking. I hadn't noticed. So I replaced the 2 front calipers and put new pads in. Problem solved.

My struts/shocks are probably worn out. The mechanic who inspects it always complains that it is hard to get the lift foot under the right spot due to sagging in front.

Spark plugs are a major PITA to get at. I had a mech change them. He ended up not charging me for the job since he accidentally hit my car with his truck. Argghhhh... His insurance paid for the repair.

I have the enormous tires on her and they are not cheap.

Hadn't heard about the qtr panel bending problem. Unibody frame, I think, right?

Oh yeah, the headliner is coming down somewhat, so I have a few strategically placed pushpins holding it up.

Oh my God, I've written a whole book here! Sorry about that.
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Wow, you triggered some memories of my GTA repairs. None really expensive except the ECU. The guy who did the ECU was a fellow church member and I thought I had the inside track to a good deal. He knew his stuff, but he was expensive. Charged a lot for diagnosis. And he left my beautiful GTA baking in the hot sun for like a week while he got around to it. He had a lift in his own garage at his house! Anyway, he fixed it up like new. It would start but ran horribly, before the new ECU.

Your intake manifold gasket twice? Wow.

My trans mount is OK so far. I do have a trans fluid drip, though. It drips for about an hour after it is parked, then stops. Don't care, not gonna mess with it.

Radiator still OK! I know, amazing. I change the antifreeze every 5 years or so. I did need a new waterpump, now that I think of it. I do my own labor on the basic stuff, so water pump only cost me $29 or so.

Had to put in a new alternator. I got a good one even though it cost more, (only $85 I think at Autozone) so it would possibly last longer. Easy job.

Air conditioning died one week after I bought it. Never fixed it. Don't care.

MAF sensor light came on right after I bought it, so dealer gave me a brand new MAF for free! I was shocked.

MAF sensor light is on again, off again, now, but passes inspection somehow, probably since I drive it less than 5K per year.

The motors for the flip up headlights!! Yes, I had to fix both headlights. Youtubed it, and took it slow, spent weeks, an hour a day or so, taking them apart, dabbing on some Liquid Wrench and waiting, loosening all the old fasteners one by one. The only cost was $7 per headlight, for some new soft plastic bushings (little cylinders) that got destroyed with age and wear. I really enjoyed beating the Stealership on this one. They wanted something like $400 per headlight!! They wanted to just put a brand new motor assembly in. No way, Jose.

I think my car had brand new paint on it when I got it, because I think the dealer bought it from an auction as a wrecked car, for nothing, and had it repaired and painted. They were asking $3,800 for it. I saw it sitting on the lot for months so I went in snagged it for $2,500. Had 112K on the odo. Paint still looks OK since it has a garage.

It has the whale wing. Cracked and rusting. Don't care. I never drive it in the rain. Stays in the garage when I'm not driving it.

Brakes! Yes, I failed inspection once when the mechanic said it pulled sharply to the right when braking. I hadn't noticed. So I replaced the 2 front calipers and put new pads in. Problem solved.

My struts/shocks are probably worn out. The mechanic who inspects it always complains that it is hard to get the lift foot under the right spot due to sagging in front.

Spark plugs are a major PITA to get at. I had a mech change them. He ended up not charging me for the job since he accidentally hit my car with his truck. Argghhhh... His insurance paid for the repair.

I have the enormous tires on her and they are not cheap.

Hadn't heard about the qtr panel bending problem. Unibody frame, I think, right?

Oh yeah, the headliner is coming down somewhat, so I have a few strategically placed pushpins holding it up.

Oh my God, I've written a whole book here! Sorry about that.

LOL... I forgot about the headliner!!! I had the pins, but eventually paid to get a new one... also forgot about the AC going out... but going without is not an option here.. and I am sure there are more I do not remember...

The qtr panel bent because the guy tried to open the door when it was on the lift... the panel was deformed a bit because he did not use a wood block when he lifted it up... the door caught the qtr panel and he bent it in big time... luckily I opened the passenger door when they brought the car out and it would not open.... if I had gotten in and drove away like I normally do I would have had to pay the bill...

Soooo, I do not look back at my Firebird as a good experience... sure, it was fun to drive.... but it was a lemon....
Old 08-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Go for it. I built a 63 corvette a few years ago. It was so nice and expensive, i was afraid to track it, so I sold it. Then bought a 69 Camaro that is in the middle of a complete rebuild. I also bought a 2006 Z06 that I take to work once in a while as well as the track a few times a year. I keep looking at the new vettes and will likely get one within the next couple years. Go out and get yourself a fun car!
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #80
gone traveling

So, i bought a 16 model. It had everything I wanted--2LT, exhaust, wheels....
I could have paid cash but my stock funds are earning money again and the interest rate is 1.9%, for less than $1000 in interest paid out for 48 months. My buying price was less than dealer invoice and they gave me $20k on my trade ($17k top retail according to edmunds.com). I thought I would miss my miata, but not yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0817161130[1].jpg (568.5 KB, 34 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote