Join Early Retirement Today

new corvette
Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

new corvette

anyone ever buy a new corvette? good or bad decision?
with everything i own being paid off, and my monthly living expense less than $1500, i have a couple grand extra coming in every month. i buy what i want and do what i want, i'm just not a high maint type.
i really love my miata, and my motorcycle but i've always considered a vette as a non practical 'look at me' luxury.

as time goes on, i feel like i need to spend some money and i've got that vette itch again. anyone been there, done that?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a vette but have a 2014 Mustang convertible. Considered a vette but wanted something more suited for longer trips. The Mustang has a much larger trunk and is actually very comfortable on the highway.
But vettes are really cool, go for it!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can only spend it or give it away for someone else to spend. If you want one go for it, although I think it would be more responsible to pay cash for a "toy" like this.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

I bought a new corvette in 2001. Glad I bought it. Still have it - Very fun car. I was looking at the new ones a few weeks ago. Very sharp. If you want one, don't wait. Get it now!
Old 08-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
You can only spend it or give it away for someone else to spend. If you want one go for it, although I think it would be more responsible to pay cash for a "toy" like this.
It may be more responsible to pay cash, but I financed mine. Didn't want to write that a big check for a car. So I put $25k down, and paid off the balance in a couple of months. For some reason, it felt better writing a few smaller checks than one big one.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
It may be more responsible to pay cash, but I financed mine. Didn't want to write that a big check for a car. So I put $25k down, and paid off the balance in a couple of months. For some reason, it felt better writing a few smaller checks than one big one.
I recently rented a 2016 Mustang GT. Awesome ride. Even at 6'6" I fit well.

My credit score has risen 120 points in the last year. I am getting all kinds of zero % offers. When I am ready to buy my next truck I will definitely take advantage of that zero % money.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Also considering a "fun" car at some point. The Vette are looking better and better but they are so low to the ground. Looks like getting in and out would be tougher as time goes on.

Still thinking about a 1970 Chevelle SS.

I say go for it if you can work it into your plan.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was younger I always thought it would be nice to buy a new Corvette. Now that I could easily afford to buy a couple, the thrill is no longer there. The older I get the harder it is to drag my butt off the ground getting out of those low sports cars. I will probably settle for a well equipped Caddy or SUV. We have a lot of road trips planned so we want to travel comfortably and take a lot of "stuff" with us that just won't fit in a Corvette.

Having said that, if there was a big Corvette club in the area I would reconsider buying one. Car people are generally a fun group be hang out with.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

There are some good buys on Vettes right now. I don't think its a look at me type car at all. There is a camaraderie in the Vette community and most appreciate the performance the car provides, which is beyond what a lot cars offer at twice the price. I bought a new one back in 98 and modded it into a One Lap of America car.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #10

I've bought several in the past 20 years. A couple were a few years old when I bought them but most were new. All have been very reliable and super fun cars. The earlier models (C4's) seemed to be a bit cramped for longer trips but the C5's, C6's and C7's are much more comfortable. The performance has increased (noticeable) in each model/series. For a high performance car, the later models get great gas mileage (25+ mpg) on the highways, if you keep your foot out of it. I would suspect that there are very few Vette owners that are buying for gas mileage.

Now with that said, they are really not luxury sports cars, IMO. The interiors are not that fancy. They are "okay", but not impressive. Also, these days, there are a number of higher performance vehicles, in a similar price range, that can "fill the need" and do it in "much more" comfort and luxury. Maybe not quite as fast or quick, but pretty darn close.

Of course, if you are going for looks (styling) not much beats the Vette's, IMO.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post

Still thinking about a 1907 Chevelle SS.
A 1907 Chevelle .... How about 1970....
Old 08-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #12

get a 2016 camaro vert with the big engine
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #13

you can get a nice c4 for well under 10K, and a nice c5 for not much more than that

DW nixed the vette cause she didn't want me to be another old, bald, fat dude driving around in a vette sticking out like a turd in a punch bowl

so she let me get a 95 firehawk vert - roomier and just as fast
Old 08-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
.... The Vette are looking better and better but they are so low to the ground. Looks like getting in and out would be tougher as time goes on.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
...The older I get the harder it is to drag my butt off the ground getting out of those low sports cars....
They are very tough to get in and out of. I have the coupe with removable top, and it is a little easier when the top is off. I have to push on the side of the seat to get out. Over 15 years, the seat stitchng has ripped in that spot.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Never understood the fascination with cars. If I could hire someone to drive me around for the rest of my life I would. The lesser the amount of time I have to drive the better.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
They are very tough to get in and out of. I have the coupe with removable top, and it is a little easier when the top is off. I have to push on the side of the seat to get out. Over 15 years, the seat stitchng has ripped in that spot.
My leather side bolster wore out in a few years, although my car was lowered from its stock height. Had indy car gas adjustable shocks front and back. Front seat needed to be replaced with a racing bucket for better support and lower weight.

Here is a little video some might enjoy; being able to drive the ring is a bucket list item, although it will probably never happen:

Old 08-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Never understood the fascination with cars. If I could hire someone to drive me around for the rest of my life I would. The lesser the amount of time I have to drive the better.
because you are what you drive
Old 08-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Cars and driving are "some" of the most enjoyable things in my life. I like to drive cars, work on them, buy and sell them. I have other hobbies too but I'd put "cars" at the top of my list. In my case, I'd much rather drive myself than pay someone to drive me. I'll drive well over 50k miles this year and still am not satisfied.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Cars and driving are "some" of the most enjoyable things in my life. I like to drive cars, work on them, buy and sell them. I have other hobbies too but I'd put "cars" at the top of my list. In my case, I'd much rather drive myself than paying someone.

Different strokes for different folks.
definitely one of the hobbies I had to curtail so I can FIRE in a few years. if it were up to me I'd have a garage full of 10 or so - now i'm relegated to just 3 cars and a golf cart
Old 08-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #20

I had a 1965 Stingray convertible (C2) back in the day. I'll never be able to afford to get that back in my hot hands again, though.

I'm itching for a C5 convertible with low miles and probably will start the search in the Fall. Why not!

As for a new one, GO FOR IT! (you only live once and that is one amazing machine).