Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm kinda hoping my desktop dies on me. It just takes a nap. I'm serious. The computer a few times during the day just pauses and does nothing for about 1-5 minutes, then resumes on as though nothing has happened. The problem isn't the internet connection as this napping happens even using non-internet programs. I probably should do the reinstall system thing, but that's a chore too with all the programs I've installed since the last time.

I've never tried a tablet, so really can't comment on that. For long hours, I prefer a desktop with a big monitor and keyboard over a laptop.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I hope to never buy another desktop, but mine is still working. I use our tablet most, then the desktop. DW uses our laptop most, rarely uses the desktop.

The overall trend seems clear, but YMMV. Look at the bright side, desktops are dirt cheap these days (thanks in part to declining sales).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm kinda hoping my desktop dies on me. It just takes a nap. I'm serious. The computer a few times during the day just pauses and does nothing for about 1-5 minutes, then resumes on as though nothing has happened. The problem isn't the internet connection as this napping happens even using non-internet programs. I probably should do the reinstall system thing, but that's a chore too with all the programs I've installed since the last time.

I've never tried a tablet, so really can't comment on that. For long hours, I prefer a desktop with a big monitor and keyboard over a laptop.
I would take a look at your power option settings first. Try setting it to always on and see if it still does it. Sounds like maybe the HD is going to sleep then waking up when accessed. And the HD could be going bad, look in the system logs for any HD errors.

I prefer desktops, easier to repair/upgrade, cheaper.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I would take a look at your power option settings first. Try setting it to always on and see if it still does it. Sounds like maybe the HD is going to sleep then waking up when accessed. And the HD could be going bad, look in the system logs for any HD errors.

I prefer desktops, easier to repair/upgrade, cheaper.
Thanks for the tips.

+1 about the ease of repair/upgrades and price with desktops.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #25

Many laptops have the ability to drive large external monitors, so you can get one and set it up just like a desktop (with extra keyboard, mouse, monitor).

Personally, I like the desktop for the power (extra CPUs), noise (fans are much quieter since they are larger and run at lower RPM), leaving all peripherals plugged in, and extra disk space (ability to put in multiple 3.5 hard drives internally). But I actually have all three (desktop,laptop,tablet).
Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thankfully I had all my precious data backed up x3: laptop, external hard drive, and DVDs. I'm keeping the hard drive and allowing the PC repairer to donate/recycle the PC remnants to a local charity.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I used to connect a larger external monitor, keyboard and mouse to a netbook when I traveled often. The netbook was underpowered so I eventually got rid of it.

I'm sure each (desktop, laptop, tablet serve their purpose). Kind of like if one had multiple vehicles.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Many laptops have the ability to drive large external monitors, so you can get one and set it up just like a desktop (with extra keyboard, mouse, monitor).

Personally, I like the desktop for the power (extra CPUs), noise (fans are much quieter since they are larger and run at lower RPM), leaving all peripherals plugged in, and extra disk space (ability to put in multiple 3.5 hard drives internally). But I actually have all three (desktop,laptop,tablet).
Using a high end laptop as one's main computer is a great solution for us here in New Orleans, because it is easy to take along on hurricane evacuations. I still have an old desktop computer, but I seldom use it for anything except a third storage location for backups. There is also a sense of security in having lots of computer redundancy just in case.

I use my high end laptop the most, by far. That is what I am typing on at the moment, for example. I use my iPad more later in the day, when I am sleepy and my high end laptop begins to seem oh so heavy...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I do a lot of my surfing, Excel + Word docs on a desktop with a large monitor. I wouldn't try that Excel work on DW's 17 inch laptop except in a pinch. Also a large monitor lets you more seamlessly have several windows open at once. All this depends on how you want to work (play).

Also have a Kindle Fire which serves for trips as a book reader plus tablet. Seems 7 inch (and thus very mobile) tablets are "app centric" due to the small monitor size, i.e. generalized web use like Yahoo Mail is a lot better using an app if it exists for your needs.

I am curious about the other more small low cost tablets that are out there now like the Samsung -- any comments as to how they compare to a Kindle Fire? I am guessing the Samsung and Google tablets in the $200 range are faster but what else makes them preferable to a Kindle Fire?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

For me a desktop plus a tablet is just about the ideal setup.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #31

These days we each have a laptop, with large monitor and full size wireless keyboard and mouse for when we are home.

I got an iPad tablet at Christmas, which we'll use while flying abroad and since I do a fair amount of typing I also got a Logitech bluetooth keyboard to use with it, and it works great, sits neatly on my lap or on a table, but for serious work with spreadsheets and such, I prefer the laptop with full size keyboard and mouse.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #32

My old desktop died last November and I picked up a smaller 14" laptop (ultrabook) instead of a new desktop. It's great for traveling, very light weight, good battery life, and more then powerful enough for my needs. I also have a 17" laptop, I like the screen size for home use but it's a little bulky for traveling. For me a laptop offers so much more flexibility, it can be taken and used just about anywhere, with a desktop you're stuck in one spot.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
When I got home from a cruise a year ago to find that my #$%^& desktop would not turn on at all - turned out to be a corroded motherboard - I decided to go with a laptop. But I got one with an upgraded video/graphics card and 8G of RAM. I've been totally happy with my choice. I already had a 24" monitor - I have the laptop on the desk and attached a keyboard and mouse so I now have two monitors which I've found I like a lot. I never really have gotten good at a touch pad so I like the mouse. It cost $800 (for the laptop) which seemed reasonable, plus a little to move my entire hard drive contents to the new machine (luckily it was intact).

I also got - for travel - an 11" PC which I love. Since I do a lot of typing I wanted something with a "real" full size keyboard. It works for me. I'm writing a memoir - maybe some day I'll finish it.

So now I'm thinking of getting a kindle or something for travel when I won't need the PC...

I haven't investigated tablets per se at all though.
got a kindle in january-love it
Old 03-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Yes. I won't buy another laptop. My iPad and keyboard case serves as a laptop and the rare time I need more windows application functionality while mobile, I remote into my desktop. The desktop is essentially a media server.

I also have a Nexus 7 mobile and don't need a laptop. I may replace the Nexus with an iPad Mini when/if a retina version is released.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #35

I have an office with a Desktop, desk, 23 in monitor, all in 1 printer and filing cabinet where I do most of my serious work. Desktops are reasonably priced, powerful, run cool and are easily upgraded with no battery to replace. With USB hard drive backup, very secure.

A tablet lets me relax, lean back and surf, read email and do basic research while watching other media. Plus travel with a tablet is easy and efficient. Not much need for a bulky laptop IMO.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #36

Get both...
Try Googling "Walmart refurbished desktops"...
Always changing... Mine (just bought it) is an off lease 2007 HP Compaq...
4 gig Ram dual core AMD ... works faster than I can think, so it's fine for what I do...no gaming or music/photo stuff. $148. Windows 7. Nice part is Walmart 100% warranty for 90 days... Good in my case as the first one had a little problem... I called the vendor, and received a replacement in 2 days... (30 days to return the bad one, prepaid)... Can't beat that.
I always look at Walmart, after I go to Amazon. My guess is that Walmart online, ships from many vendors... direct... with items that they don't carry in the stores, and very often at a lower price than the same brands in competitor stores.
A little off topic, but about saving info from older non-working computer: For about $10 or less, there is a USB converter from SATA, PATA or IDE drives, so you can download and save info from the drives, without going inside the computer. Well worth the investment.
We have tons of computers... my toys... mostly ones that people have given up on because of small problems, or old models, with operating systems equal to their year of mfgr... DOS 2.0, Dos 3.0, Windows 3.11, 95,98, 98SE, XP, XP Pro, Windows 7... Plus an ADAM and a Sinclair. All stacked neatly. Exercise for the brain to go back and play with.
Can't get used to the tablet. It's a cheapy, and works ok, but holding it isn't fun, and the small screen is a bit too small for these old eyes.
No use for the laptop, as we don't go anywhere for the period of time where it would be useful. At home, just use it as a desktop, driving a wide screen monitor.
My 4 sons, in their late 40's early 50's all swear by the Samsung and Iphones. I can't justify the $80/mo, two year contract. What if I don't live that long? And DW would have a heart attack if I ever lost or dropped a $500 phone.
Besides... I consider that I'm doing my part to help the environment by avoiding "Mall Pollution". Those are the people we have to dodge as we do our mall walking exercises. Drives me crazy to see about 1/3 of the people either talking, watching, tweeting, or playing games as they walk from store to store with that damned thing that didn't exist 10 years ago.

Now, let's see, what was the subject?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I'm thinking along the same lines. I'd like a powerful PC with lots of HD storage & programs to work on finances, audio/video recording, writing, photo editing, etc. And a tablet just to surf and do other lighter stuff when I'm outside the home. So I've decided to use my 6-year-old 17" HP laptop as my primary PC for the time being. It works just fine, but is getting old in 'puter years. I'll keep a lookout for a good desktop, taking my time for the right unit at the right price.

Meanwhile, I spent the past few days online and at local stores looking at desktops & tablets. Today, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2(7.0) (with Jelly Bean) at Costco for $200. It's dark red. I saw a similar product for $180 (best price) elsewhere. B&H sells the same product for $210. But the Costco one came with the $50 magnetic book cover. (Samsung itself sells this unit/cover for $220.)

Plus the $200 goes toward my Costco Executive rebate total; and then there's their 90-day "no questions asked" refund policy, two-year warranty, and Costco Concierge Technical Support for two years. Practically a no-brainer.

Now comes the learning curve, cause I've never had a tablet, or even a smart phone, before.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Birdie Nun Nuns. I like that name by the way. Here is a desktop that is a good deal. I have bought thousands of dollars from this company since 2001 and never a bad deal. I could say they are by far the number one seller on the internet. This setup should suit you fine as it has windows 7 and not the dreaded 8. Take a look. I could not ever build one for that price

Gateway DX4870-UR21P &#40T.GDDAA.007) No Screen Desktop PC Intel Core i5 2320(3.00GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics 2000 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - Newegg.com

What kind of computer do you have now? Is it running XP, Vista or maybe you installed 7 on it? I am currently running a system I built in January 2007 and it is fast. I did buy windows 7 64 bit last year and added 4 more gigs of ram for a total of 6. I would probably find a motherboard if mine went out on ebay and continue to use it. The benchmark test has it up in the top. It has the core duo CPU and will do most anything I throw at it.

Used motherboards are cheap sometimes on ebay if you are 100% sure that's what wrong with it? They are real easy to install also. I have replaced one in less that 15 minutes. You will not be able to do that with a laptop.
I only use my laptop when I travel as I cannot stand to have something sitting in my lap. I also have a Samsung 24 inch screen on my desktop as I am over 65 and need to large screen for better viewing. If you buy a laptop and after the warranty goes then you have something like a board go south you are stuck. A desktop can be repaired quite easy, at least for me. Good luck on you pick. For me I will always use a desktop. oldtrig
Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Birdie Nun Nuns. I like that name by the way. Here is a desktop that is a good deal. I have bought thousands of dollars from this company since 2001 and never a bad deal. I could say they are by far the number one seller on the internet. This setup should suit you fine as it has windows 7 and not the dreaded 8. Take a look. I could not ever build one for that price

Gateway DX4870-UR21P (DT.GDDAA.007) No Screen Desktop PC Intel Core i5 2320(3.00GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics 2000 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - Newegg.com

What kind of computer do you have now? Is it running XP, Vista or maybe you installed 7 on it? I am currently running a system I built in January 2007 and it is fast. I did buy windows 7 64 bit last year and added 4 more gigs of ram for a total of 6. I would probably find a motherboard if mine went out on ebay and continue to use it. The benchmark test has it up in the top. It has the core duo CPU and will do most anything I throw at it.

Used motherboards are cheap sometimes on ebay if you are 100% sure that's what wrong with it? They are real easy to install also. I have replaced one in less that 15 minutes. You will not be able to do that with a laptop.
I only use my laptop when I travel as I cannot stand to have something sitting in my lap. I also have a Samsung 24 inch screen on my desktop as I am over 65 and need to large screen for better viewing. If you buy a laptop and after the warranty goes then you have something like a board go south you are stuck. A desktop can be repaired quite easy, at least for me. Good luck on you pick. For me I will always use a desktop. oldtrig
Dead desktop & current laptop run W7. A motherboard replacement requires today's CPU & other modern components hooked to it, because older PC components are no longer available, which makes a "simple" motherboard replacement not as simple as it may appear--therefore it is not "cost effective."
Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #40

Desktops offer more for your money but these days people are used to taking their computers all over the house or outside the home.

I'm looking to buy an iMac with a big hard drive and will be using it for photos mainly.

But I'd expect to do a lot of the surfing on the couch or in bed with the iPad.

For tablets you may save on other brands but you may find that you'll want to try out and regularly use apps. In that case there is no contest. Most Android apps are made for phones, not tablets.