Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Desktops offer more for your money but these days people are used to taking their computers all over the house or outside the home.
This is one reason I do not want a laptop. I don't even want a smart phone, I am concerned that I might get mugged and all my info would be in some damn hood's hands. The most street-wise guys I know don't carry much of any value. I have a tablet, but I don't put anything on it. I could lose it, but not any information.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is one reason I do not want a laptop. I don't even want a smart phone, I am concerned that I might get mugged and all my info would be in some damn hood's hands. The most street-wise guys I know don't carry much of any value. I have a tablet, but I don't put anything on it. I could lose it, but not any information.

Ha
I use full disk encryption on my laptops (truecrypt), Windows 8 Pro comes with Bitlocker which is another encryption tool.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I moved to using a laptop as my desktop a few years back. I use an external keyboard/mouse, and I can connect an external monitor. Even a smallish external (19") goes a long way, as you have the laptop screen plus the external (I use 'extended' mode, not 'mirror' - mirror just gives you the same thing on two monitors).

But the 'workspaces' in Ubuntu (Xubuntu 12.04 to be precise, and it is named 'Precise') work so well and easy, that I rarely bother - I keep different things on different 'workspaces' and easily switch between them. It's a bit like having 4 monitors, or 6 or as many as you want, and you flip between them, which reduces the crowding on a single screen. It also organizes my work - taxes on one workspace, email on a second, a few utilities on a third, hobby sites on a 4th, ER on a 5th, news/misc on a 6th, and in a click I can add one if I want another 'blank slate'. Plus, you can just drag a doc/app from one workspace to another if you want to re-organize what you are doing. It's a snap, far better than how Apple attempted this in 'Spaces' or whatever they call it.

But the reasons given for using a desktop have me re-thinking. But I think I'll still go with a laptop for my desktop, The reason is, when I replace my current laptop, I think I will have more uses for an old laptop than I would an old desktop. I can easily re-purpose this laptop as a portable music server. Even if the battery is poor, I can use it plugged in - but it would take up far less room, and be easier to move from room to room, or take outside the home than an old desktop. This laptop can sit inconspicuously with my stereo, just close the lid when not in use, and it's barely there. The built in keyboard/trackpad are good enough for this kind of use. I have my music program set up so that most routine tasks can be done with a few keystrokes, I don't need to touch the trackpad at all.

But of course, each persons needs/wants are different. Just my POV for my situation.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #44

Get a laptop with a docking station. Best of both laptop and desktop worlds. Dell latitude and Lenovo thinkpad.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I use full disk encryption on my laptops (truecrypt), Windows 8 Pro comes with Bitlocker which is another encryption tool.
Yup iOS devices have that. Plus you can remotely lock, wipe and locate them.

They also automatically back up if you sync with a cable to your computer or to iCloud wirelessly.

There hasn't been this epidemic of data loss/theft despite hundreds of millions of smart phones and tablets out there, with no doubt millions of them lost or stolen every year.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably never own a desktop again. I traveled a lot for my last job and am now very used to a laptop and the convenience of a laptop. We are exclusively Lenovo and have found they are very durable. DS bought an Asus that died a couple year's later so he is now using one of my older Lenovos. We had one onl one where the screen went bad but that is the only problem ever.

I am considering a Fire 8.9 for lite browsing but for me, desktops=boat anchors.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #47

I bought a new desktop a year ago (to replace one that was 7+ years old). I also have a 6-year old small laptop and 3-year old net book that I bought (as it's 1/2 the weight of the small laptop).

I only use the netbook when traveling. My small Dell laptop never gets used now.

I was recently visiting my BIL and sister. Although I had the netbook with me, I used his large laptop while at their place (as it has a larger screen and faster response time than my netbook). I did often get tired of the weight and size of the laptop after lengthy sessions reading online.

I was VERY happy to get back to my desktop when I returned home...it has a large, bright screen and it's fast, and I don't have to support it while I'm using it.

I am still toying with getting either a tablet or mini-tablet to replace the netbook for traveling. I have a smart phone, so I 'get' (and love) the advantages of having a portable computer with me, but I think that a tablet or mini-tablet might offer a better usability factor for reading more online material than the smart phone.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

With my Kindle Fire a little web surfing while at home or traveling is doable. But trying to type in a few words into Google with a stylus seems trying at times.

Today I was reading a library book and wanted to look up a place in Scotland. Took the Kindle out and typed the place name into Google which gave me a map. But just using the stylus to type in that name was an error filled process (for me, in this instance). Is there a better way? Would the Kindle version of the book allow me to go through a place name link to a Google map? -- probably not but would be nice and a useful upgrade.

A keyboard would be nice but then that adds weight and reduces simplicity. I guess an Ipad might help in that respect with the on screen keyboard. But then one has a larger, heavier tablet to lug around. Trade offs.

Maybe I should budget for an Ipad + Kindle book purchases? Then I guess I could read the book on the Ipad and open up another window to do the map search. Maybe that would be a solution? But we are avid library users.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Maybe I should budget for an Ipad + Kindle book purchases? Then I guess I could read the book on the Ipad and open up another window to do the map search. Maybe that would be a solution? But we are avid library users.
I have both an iPad 2 and a 2nd generation Kindle and I think that is an excellent solution. With the Kindle app for iPad, I can read my downloaded books on both devices. When in bright light the Kindle works best. The iPad shows the book in full color and it is a simple matter to bookmark the page before searching on a map. Downloading is easy and the book shows up on both devices as soon as they are able to access wireless.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have both an iPad 2 and a 2nd generation Kindle and I think that is an excellent solution. With the Kindle app for iPad, I can read my downloaded books on both devices. When in bright light the Kindle works best. The iPad shows the book in full color and it is a simple matter to bookmark the page before searching on a map. Downloading is easy and the book shows up on both devices as soon as they are able to access wireless.
I read that the iPad 2 (but apparently not the iPad) can multitask. On the iPad 2 couldn't one just read the book in one window and look up the map in another? Still trying to learn about what I'm missing.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I read that the iPad 2 (but apparently not the iPad) can multitask. On the iPad 2 couldn't one just read the book in one window and look up the map in another? Still trying to learn about what I'm missing.
It's not true multitasking. You can have multiple apps open at the same time, but only one displayed at a time. You can switch between open apps without going through the main screen.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
It's not true multitasking. You can have multiple apps open at the same time, but only one displayed at a time. You can switch between open apps without going through the main screen.
Exactly.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That would work just fine for the situation I mentioned above, thanks. And thanks to Meadbh too.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
For optimum usability, the general recommendation is to choose the software first, then purchase hardware upon which it runs well.
+1 - When we bought our first stereo, we followed similar advice. We bought the speakers first, then the stereo to run them.

We drive our computers - like our cars, TVs, stereos, etc. - into the proverbial ground. So when we replace something, we go for the best value possible. I don't want the cheapest technology out there. I want the best value for my technology dollar. So, we end up not buying often, but when we do buy, we get the latest technology which is always fun, but not more technology than we need. It's a balancing act. Costs a little more when we replace something, but we replace less often and have everything we need.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Felix

Felix Mulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't forget to enable multitouch scrolling.

Then you just wipe left or right with 3 or 4 fingers to toggle back and forth between apps.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Mulier View Post
We drive our computers - like our cars, TVs, stereos, etc. - into the proverbial ground. So when we replace something, we go for the best value possible. I don't want the cheapest technology out there. I want the best value for my technology dollar....
Same here; I drive my equipment--and clothes--, and particular cars until I cannot any longer. (I have owned only two cars since 1986, and am still on the 2nd one--at just 80,000 miles since 1998.)

So, as I said earlier, I'll put more miles on my old laptop while keeping an eye out for a new PC. I was tempted to get a suitable $500 HP I saw at Costco yesterday, but think I'll wait, and look for something closer to $800 with more RAM/storage, etc.

Thanks for the tips!
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

From a January article:
Quote:
Many of the laptops to be unveiled around the world in coming months will be hybrids or "convertibles" - morphing easily between portable tablets and full-powered laptops with a keyboard, industry analysts say.
and this caught my eye:
Quote:
But buyers may have to wait until the second half of the year to see many of them.

"The most likely scenario today is for the industry to have these products ready for the back-to-school season," Daoud said.
Full article: Major PC Makers Take Notes From Tablets To Stay Competitive
Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Most of the Windows 8 tablets, including the Surface, have bombed.

They sound good on paper, that you can run all the existing Windows apps, but they turn out to be heavy, hot and noisy (fans).

Meanwhile, the smaller 7-inch tablets are becoming more popular. iPad Mini may be outselling the regular iPad now.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Meanwhile, the smaller 7-inch tablets are becoming more popular. iPad Mini may be outselling the regular iPad now.
Man I'm old.

Sorry folks, but I don't want to have to get my magnifying glass out each time I use a device. I want to type, not talk. I don't want to have to sharpen my fingertips to use a keyboard. They can take their iPad Mini and stick it (somewhere). I don't want it.

I want a BIG tablet. And a desktop that has a BIG keyboard and BIG display, with a hot running BIG disk.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras
Man I'm old.

Sorry folks, but I don't want to have to get my magnifying glass out each time I use a device. I want to type, not talk. I don't want to have to sharpen my fingertips to use a keyboard. They can take their iPad Mini and stick it (somewhere). I don't want it.

I want a BIG tablet. And a desktop that has a BIG keyboard and BIG display, with a hot running BIG disk.

Well, I must be old too. When my current IPad dies, it will be replaced with another 10 inch. With 5 inch smart phones becoming the rage, I don't know why anyone would want a 7 inch tablet. I pitched my desktop years ago with a laptop, and now it is being replaced with a chrome-book I just purchased. I don't store info, however, nor do I need powerful processors for my computer needs.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote