Join Early Retirement Today

New Desktop or Tablet?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Desktop or Tablet?

Dang it! For the first time in my life I have had a home PC that died: motherboard dead and PC repairer says it is not cost-effective to replace it.

I have a 6-year-old laptop that I am now using as my PC. Should I get another desktop or a tablet. I know, it depends on what I use it for. I usually surf, and do word docs and image editing. Guess I'd like the option of being able to do state-of-the-art audio & visual recordings. I am not a gamer. I suppose I've already answered my question--a desktop could do more than a tablet. If desktop, any suggestions? I just need the tower, not a monitor.

I do like those Samsung tablets I saw at Costco this week. Maybe get both desktop & non-iPad tablet?
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post

I do like those Samsung tablets I saw at Costco this week. Maybe get both desktop & non-iPad tablet?
That's what I plan to do as a laptop replacement. You can get the Samsung 'Jellybean' 7 in for $180 shipped from Samsung.

Specs - Wi-Fi Tabs GT-P3113 | Samsung Galaxy Tab
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Dang it! For the first time in my life I have had a home PC that died: motherboard dead and PC repairer says it is not cost-effective to replace it.

I have a 6-year-old laptop that I am now using as my PC. Should I get another desktop or a tablet. I know, it depends on what I use it for. I usually surf, and do word docs and image editing. Guess I'd like the option of being able to do state-of-the-art audio & visual recordings. I am not a gamer. I suppose I've already answered my question--a desktop could do more than a tablet. If desktop, any suggestions? I just need the tower, not a monitor.

i would not buy a desktop. i would get a laptop
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tablets are educational/recreational toys. Sadly, real computers are still the only option for real work. The possible only exception could be the MS Surface Pro tablet, which runs full Windows 8. The Pro's price point is as high as a mid to low-upper tier laptop.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I would think that if you want to do "state-of-the-art audio & visual recordings" then a desktop would be your best bet.
But for general surfing, a cheap tablet might be a good compliment to it.

Another option is to get the MS Surface pro. Use it as a tablet for surfing or light computing. Then plug the full size monitor into it and use a full sized keyboard & mouse to do real work. (although I'm not sure how well it would perform for large video files)
(surface pro has a miniDisplay port for video output - will likely need an adapter to use on your monitor).

My personal suggestion would be a desktop & cheap tablet option.
naggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
gone traveling

I’ve use desktops, laptops, notebooks and tablets. Personally, I like the size, flexibility and interface of laptops. I switched to all laptops several years ago with no regrets. All are fully functional PC's, with wireless (802.11), high capacity HD and very portable. I can use a 3G USB adaptor when I travel for Internet connectivity. If you want to used them as a desktop you can easily attach an external keyboard, mouse and monitor. (Which I do when I have a lot of spreadsheet or other detailed work.)
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I suppose I've already answered my question--a desktop could do more than a tablet.
Sounds to me like you have decided that a desktop would meet your needs best. My suggestion is to buy the desktop.

Then, "give yourself permission" (as they say) to also buy a tablet. Computer equipment is so much cheaper now than it was 20-30 years ago, relative to the corresponding cost of living. So, you might want to at least entertain the idea of buying a tablet just for fun.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds to me like you have decided that a desktop would meet your needs best. My suggestion is to buy the desktop.

Then, "give yourself permission" (as they say) to also buy a tablet. Computer equipment is so much cheaper now than it was 20-30 years ago, relative to the corresponding cost of living. So, you might want to at least entertain the idea of buying a tablet just for fun.
+1

Desktop or tablet are not interchangeable. Functionality is much different. I use both and could not do without either.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1

Desktop or tablet are not interchangeable. Functionality is much different. I use both and could not do without either.
+2

I was fine without a tablet until I got one. Now I would never try living without one.
I was fine without a smart phone until I got one. Now I could not dare living without one.
I fret the day I acquire my first personal space shuttle...
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And I don't think desktops and laptops are interchangeable.

I like to play with audio files, changing encoding, equalizations, etc.

It really helps to have a powerful desktop to do this. The desktop can have the higher power, higher heat version of the processor to do the work. Having a really large screen to examine the waveforms helps too.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

Thanks, all. Keep 'em coming!
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
And I don't think desktops and laptops are interchangeable...
My third laptop (of three different brands) is losing its connectivity at its power cord plug in--I have to baby it and manipulate the cords just so for the connection to hold for a charge (just as its predecessors made me do, darn their little mother boards). My next one will definitely be a desktop/all-in-one, which will be stationary, and I will get a tablet to assume the portability of the laptop, and I hope will have a longer-lived power connection thingie.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #13

Don't forget to factor in the extra money for the 4G service for a mobile tablet/Ipad.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

+3

They are not the same, but complementary.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Don't forget to factor in the extra money for the 4G service for a mobile tablet/Ipad.
Wi/Fi works for me at home and on the road. No need to pay for 4G unless you absolutely need it. I don't and save big $$$.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

My laptop recently died and I just replaced it with a Google Chromebook. Pretty impressive little unit for $249.
dfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #17

For optimum usability, the general recommendation is to choose the software first, then purchase hardware upon which it runs well.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #18

We recently replaced a desktop with a desktop that cost almost 1/10th of what the desktop it replaced cost, and it does just as much. I think if my laptop reaches the end of its journey, I'm going to switch to using a tablet for whatever I can use them for, and then use the desktop for heavier lifting. The only downside is that I may not be able to video editing remotely. Not a big deal - it can wait.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Wi/Fi works for me at home and on the road. No need to pay for 4G unless you absolutely need it. I don't and save big $$$.
That's good to know. When I was looking at iPads, they were pushing the monthly services. Also, I wasn't convinced they were as secure as my laptop at home with encrypted access if I used available wifi while on the road. Any privacy has probably gone out the window for all of us anyway.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I got home from a cruise a year ago to find that my #$%^& desktop would not turn on at all - turned out to be a corroded motherboard - I decided to go with a laptop. But I got one with an upgraded video/graphics card and 8G of RAM. I've been totally happy with my choice. I already had a 24" monitor - I have the laptop on the desk and attached a keyboard and mouse so I now have two monitors which I've found I like a lot. I never really have gotten good at a touch pad so I like the mouse. It cost $800 (for the laptop) which seemed reasonable, plus a little to move my entire hard drive contents to the new machine (luckily it was intact).

I also got - for travel - an 11" PC which I love. Since I do a lot of typing I wanted something with a "real" full size keyboard. It works for me. I'm writing a memoir - maybe some day I'll finish it.

So now I'm thinking of getting a kindle or something for travel when I won't need the PC...

I haven't investigated tablets per se at all though.