Join Early Retirement Today

New directions???
Old 03-10-2004, 03:23 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

New directions???

OK -

My boss is moving to the west coast soon and I won't be following him there. That means I've got to find a job.

This is GREAT news for me as I've hated what I've been doing for quite some time (sound familiar ). Anyway, there's a possibility that I can hire on with another person here where I am now at my same salary. This is without a doubt a very loathsome prospect as described above in the first sentence of this paragraph.

Now I'm 62.8% of the way to my early retirement goal. Retiring now would kill my nest eggs very quickly I'm guessing. So to me the choice is to take the job here and after X number of years retire OR take a cut in pay and a new career and retire in 2*X years or so. If I'm staying in this career I'm taking this job here.

Any advice for me out there Any guesses on what "X" is above This is an AWESOME resource!!!

DaddyBoy
daddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: New directions???
Old 03-10-2004, 04:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What is it about you job that makes you unhappy? How would the new career make it different? I ask the questions because in my workplace ( a law firm) , I have seen some people who are very unhappy in their job and finally quit and get another job. I then hear through the grapevine that they are just as unhappy in the new job. For example, I had a secretary that was never satisfied with her job. She eventually quit and went to work for another firm. She lasted there for a couple of months and has now moved on again. I think that she is either not suited to be a secretary and another job might fit her better, which I doubt, or she is a person who allways thinks the grass is greener elsewhere.

On the other hand, I know some lawyers in my town who left the law firm rat race for jobs that pay a lot less money but that make them happy and satisfied, such as teaching.

The worst situation would be is to change careers for one that pays less money and discover you don't like it any more than the old job.

So, do lots of investigation before you decide.

Martha

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re:  This could be opportunity knocking
Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Re:  This could be opportunity knocking

I don't know if this is your situation and I'm not trying to shill for the west coast, but I've watched couples turn down moves because each thought the other would never want to do it. There are many bad things to be said about the west coast, but it looks like there are also many bad things to be said about your current situation. There are also many good things to be said about both, so perhaps you should put together a "pros & cons" list and talk it over with those who'd be affected by your move.

But maybe you don't want to stick with your old boss, like Eisenhower was stuck with McArthur. There are still other options that you can control. Most workplace unhappiness (mine anyway!) is caused by situations over which we have no control. If your boss' departure doesn't put you in charge, then your control options probably have to shift to those outside the workplace.

One thing that helped me was a "So what do I do now" research project. You could start with a skills & interests assessment at a local college or job center. It might take a vacation day or two to work through all of the tests & surveys, but it greatly clarifies your thinking and may help you find undiscovered interests. There's more info on this in Nelson Bolles' "What Color Is Your Parachute", and many libraries carry copies. In my case the process generated the stunning realization that I was admirably suited to be a nuclear engineer (my occupation at the time). My kvetching about the testing system caused a colleague to offer me a job teaching adult education (the first subject: nuclear engineering), and I tremendously enjoy it. I wouldn't have considered it if I hadn't been so frustrated by the testing & assessment process. So the process works eventually.

Another thing that you can control is the factors that make up "X". You can't necessarily raise your salary but you may be able to shave your expenses to 62.8% of your current outgo. Thousands of practical examples fill the archives at websites like the Dollar Stretcher (http://www.stretcher.com). Your motivation is a healthier lifestyle and a quicker retirement.

A third option would be a self-imposed sabbatical (temporary ER). If work doesn't offer unpaid leave, you could try part-time. You could even quit and take the time to (1) decompress, (2) do the actions in the previous two paragraphs, and maybe (3) retrain or return to school. This approach might seem to cannibalize your ER, but it might also be just the break you need to revive your creative thinking and step around the problems (instead of going to work through them every day).

Good luck, and we can't pretend that you won't need at least a little dose of that too. The opportunities can only be exploited by being able to recognize them and by being ready to do something about it. You have the latter down pat and now is a great chance to work on the former.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:23 AM   #4

Thanks Nords and Martha_M !!! Lots of good advice there.

I've been thinking about this for years now and I'm thinking a new career sounds better now. I'm 49 years old and have been writing code for over 20 years now with all the frustration that goes with that. Something less "detail oriented" might suit my older/slower mind I'm thinking...

I'll check out those books and tests and web site.

Thanks again for the help!!!

DaddyBoy
Old 03-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me join in, daddyboy.

You have sufficient funds to cover over half of your income needs into the indefinite future.

Financial independence is primary. You now have an opportunity to pursue career paths that pay less than you have been willing to accept to date. Ask yourself what you would do if you had the means to retire today. You might choose activities that produce little or no income. You might prefer to mix your dreams with a more satisfying job. You might want to start a new career in a different field. You have choices, many more than you have had until now. You don't need a job to bring in today's level of income. You only need half of today's income. You might decide to live where the pay scale is low, but where the surroundings are great. If the pay scale is low, most likely the cost of living is low as well.

Start dreaming.

Have fun.

John R.
JWR1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #6

Daddyboy,

You might want to identify your passion as part of career transition discovery process.

Try out this link:
http://www.bestyears.com/passion.html

Paul
Old 03-11-2004, 03:29 AM   #7

Yes JWR1945 and Paul I *will* start dreaming!!! Neat website also - Thanks!!!

I somehow feel so *loved* !!! :-) :-) Thanks to all for all of the kind words and encouragement!!!!

DaddyBoy
:-)