Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #121
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
That seems to be a logical explanation for Bush. But what about Clinton? Similar policies to Bush. Same lack of action. What were his motivations?
When you cripple your administration by failing to keep it in your pants, a lot of needed actions fail to get done. I was never so much concerned about the morality of Clinton fooling around with Monica, or even lying about it, as I was with the fact that so much was left unaccomplished because he got sidetracked by his own stupidity.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #122
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's a good bet that if oil were still $30/bbl, and gas $1.50/gal, the whole debate about energy we're having now would not have even happened...
I don't know about that. The people on this board strike me as more the ant type than the grasshopper type.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I don't know about that. The people on this board strike me as more the ant type than the grasshopper type.
Granted, but I was thinking "we" as in the USA. IMHO, this board is not representative of the populace at large...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
That seems to be a logical explanation for Bush. But what about Clinton? Similar policies to Bush. Same lack of action. What were his motivations?
Here was my response.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...&postcount=115

The past is gone. I would like to change some of it. But I can't. Perhaps Clinton could/should have done more. What bothers me is the here and now. GWB is here and now.

I suppose some must feel like they are defending the Republican party. :confused:

It's not a republican or a democrat issue... It is whether or not the President is doing what is in the best interest of the American people as opposed to protecting the status quo of big oil interest.

Perhaps I am wrong... but I am do not see it.

I am very disappointed with GWB. He has been playing the American people.

Look at this post.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ook-34046.html
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
GWB is here and now.
GWB is a weak, lame duck president. He isn't the 'here and now' - he's already history.

So, if you want to forget about the past, fine - then let's do it. So, do any of the current candidates offer anything real in terms of environmental issues?

I have not looked into it in detail, the little I have had 'more of the same' stamped all over it. Ethanol supports (gag me!), hydrogen and hybrids (more gag), bla,bla,bla. Tell the people what they want to hear, bla, bla, bla.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
GWB is a weak, lame duck president. He isn't the 'here and now' - he's already history.

So, if you want to forget about the past, fine - then let's do it. So, do any of the current candidates offer anything real in terms of environmental issues?

I have not looked into it in detail, the little I have had 'more of the same' stamped all over it. Ethanol supports (gag me!), hydrogen and hybrids (more gag), bla,bla,bla. Tell the people what they want to hear, bla, bla, bla.

-ERD50
ERD. He could do more lame duck or not.... he could try to lead.

I suppose there could be several answers:
  1. He either lacks vision
  2. he has self interests that are not in support of fixing the energy problem
  3. He doesn't care
  4. Or he has given up
Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Carter.. ahh yes.. widely mocked for wearing a sweater and suggesting turning down the thermostat. What!? Are we COMMUNISTS or something!?

a right-wing and a left-wing offering:
The Carter Energy Plan: Analysis and Alternatives
Carter Tried To Stop Bush's Energy Disasters - 28 Years Ago

from the second offering:
Quote:
"Ours is the most wasteful nation on earth," [Carter] said, a point that is still true. "We waste more energy than we import. With about the same standard of living, we use twice as much energy per person as do other countries like Germany, Japan and Sweden." Carter directly challenged the fossil fuel and automobile industries. "One choice," he said, "is to continue doing what we have been doing before. We can drift along for a few more years. "Our consumption of oil would keep going up every year. Our cars would continue to be too large and inefficient. Three-quarters of them would continue to carry only one person -- the driver -- while our public transportation system continues to decline. We can delay insulating our houses, and they will continue to lose about 50 percent of their heat in waste. "We can continue using scarce oil and natural gas to generate electricity, and continue wasting two-thirds of their fuel value in the process."
Whether what he managed to get done was "baby steps"... the message he was sending was loud and clear and no-one wanted to listen.

I remember even from when I was a kid the phrases "windfall profit tax" (eliminated by Reagan) and "moral equivalent of war".

[Hey, why have a "moral equivalent" of war when you can have the real thing with blood and everything. As Bush recently sustained.. combat is so "romantic"!!]

Reagan also removed the solar panels Carter installed on the WH roof. This I recall being greeted with great general public/mediatical relief!! Because it was "morning in America" and pomp and waste and excess were to be embraced!! Whew! We dodged that austerity bullet and sent that party-pooper Carter packing!! People were GIDDY about it!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ERD. He could do more lame duck or not.... he could try to lead.

I suppose there could be several answers:
  1. He either lacks vision
  2. he has self interests that are not in support of fixing the energy problem
  3. He doesn't care
  4. Or he has given up
My only issue with your line of thought is that you are willing to apply it to GWB, but you won't apply it equally to Clinton/Gore.

-ERD50
Old 03-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My only issue with your line of thought is that you are willing to apply it to GWB, but you won't apply it equally to Clinton/Gore.

-ERD50
Oh.

Bill Clinton was a disappointment with some of his antics. No question about it. Plus some of his policies did not pan out.

There are some things GWB did that I agree with. Going into Afghanistan was the right thing to do. I liked the tax cuts. There are other things also.

I am a middle of the road voter. I am for middle class interests. That does not mean I am against helping the down and out or that I do not see the big picture from a capitalist point of view.

Unfortunately GWB seems to lean more towards representing certain elite interests instead of all of the rest of us. The middle-class and the poor are after thoughts to him.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #130
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's a good bet that if oil were still $30/bbl, and gas $1.50/gal, the whole debate about energy we're having now would not have even happened...

Not true in my book after 9/11 in december the price of gasoline hit 89.9 cents a gallon for about a week bounced back up to around 1.05.9 for the rest of that winter. No that time I had stated that a tax on gasoline of 1 2 or 3 dollars would have been a good idea. the thought of giving the Saudis One cent of our money for their oil after 15 of the 19 hijackers came from the kingdom well still sickens me.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #131

Comparing Clinton and GWB on particulars of any issue is kinda like apples/oranges. Clinton LOVED the wonky details of governing and that sometimes even tripped him up. Bush wants to go back to eating pretzels on the couch and possibly become baseball commissioner and has always been largely phoning it in.

On a cell phone. With a crap battery and kinda far from the repeater tower.

Ok that was gratuitous (but fun!). For Bush's energy policies I would look to Cheney.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #132
Dryer sheet aficionado

Amen - and that's the answer to what was done under Bush 1, Clinton, etc in terms of long term planning. And it's also the reason why the "market" won't magically work us out of this problem without significant pain and risk that a long term, viable solution can not be found. It's why the argument for enlightened LEADERSHIP in government is so important - and so heart breaking to see not happen. Not only on this, but on nearly ever major problem facing the nation. Quite sad.
prgsdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #133

Quote:
True. But the effort should be more aggressive. The Executive Branch did this merely are political cover. GWB represents Big Oil interest... not the majority of Americans. His tactic is to say something publicly (be politically expedient) and do something altogether different in the back room. His administration is full of stall tactics... hoping it will fix itself or maintain the status quo longer.

I understand your logic. We probably are on our way to doing something like that. But there is a fundamental problem (trap) that we are in today. Too many people at the margins get to work on cheap gas. America is a country of urban sprawl and rural folk. Much of America does not have workable mass transit for the masses... heck some doesn't have it at all.

Putting a consumption tax on top of rising prices today would further exacerbate the problem. But you are correct, that would drive down use and provide money to fund part of an energy program.

But! I am not a fan of taxes. Consumers will pay for it one way or the other... I would rather have the free market put the price and have government make sure the Oligopoly does not scr3w us. The problem with taxes is that it might be reasonable to help incubate a new program... but they would never stop after the program is on its way... the gov't would continue to spend the money.
You are correct about poor people and the lack of infrastructure. That's why a crude oil tax should be offset 100% by a reduction in some other "tax". In practice, a $2 per gallon tax on crude can be offset by a $2,000 per person refundable credit on your FIT return. That means that most poor people make a profit because most of them use less than an "average" amount of crude.

If that's too "progressive" for your tastes, rebate half the tax per capita and the other half as a reduction in the FICA percent and an bonus on SS benefits.

None of the new tax should be used to subsidize or incubate new technology. As you point out, once those subsidies start, it's extremely difficult to stop them.

Again, the problem is that the free market can't put a price on crude oil that includes the geo-political costs (just like it can't put a price on burning coal that includes the cost of putting sulfur in the air). Gov't has to do that. The gov't might also have a role in some basic research, but the appropriate dollars are small potatos in the energy world. Private investors can do everything else.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Comparing Clinton and GWB on particulars of any issue is kinda like apples/oranges.
OK. But I'm not comparing style, I'm comparing results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prgsdw View Post
It's why the argument for enlightened LEADERSHIP in government is so important - and so heart breaking to see not happen. Not only on this, but on nearly ever major problem facing the nation. Quite sad.
Agreed, and it is sad. Kinda interesting, even though I probably don't agree with Obama on most issues, I do get the feeling that he could provide leadership - that might be the most important thing.

-ERD50
Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agreed, and it is sad. Kinda interesting, even though I probably don't agree with Obama on most issues, I do get the feeling that he could provide leadership - that might be the most important thing.
-ERD50
He hasn't led anything substantive that I am aware of...............McCain is licking his chops when he thinks of Obama and him debating.....it won't be Harvard Law School 101...........not that McCain's the cat's meow either..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
He hasn't led anything substantive that I am aware of...............McCain is licking his chops when he thinks of Obama and him debating.....it won't be Harvard Law School 101...........not that McCain's the cat's meow either..........

If it winds up being those two in the general election. Don't count Hillary out just yet.

Since McCain is not really speaking on domestic issues and trying to trumpet his background in international politics and war...
he is going to have an uphill battle if he makes the War the key issue. Most middle ground people will interpret it as: This guy does not get it!

Most people in the middle want the heck out of there are quick as possibly. They realize that cut and run is not a good idea... but want to begin moving towards turning it over to the Iraqis and exit.

I do not dislike McCain.... Would have voted for him in 2000. But today is a different time.

If McCain wants to win the election... he had better get domestic real quick... or he is toast!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most people in the middle want the heck out of there are quick as possibly. They realize that cut and run is not a good idea...
I don't follow you. Isn't 'as quick as possibly' the same as 'cut and run'?

If not, what constraints are you putting on 'as quick as possibly', and what are each candidate's position on that?

-ERD50
Old 03-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
He hasn't led anything substantive that I am aware of...............
IMO, leading a campaign and taking a 100+ delegate lead against a candidate that was considered a 'shoe in' is pretty substantive.

-ERD50
Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMO, leading a campaign and taking a 100+ delegate lead against a candidate that was considered a 'shoe in' is pretty substantive.

-ERD50
I was referring to sponsoring legislation in the Illinois Senate or being on an important committe in the Senate, you know, boring stuff like that........

Hillary wasn't a "shoo-in", Barack got the attention of the folks that matter in the DNC after his speech at the 2004 DNC..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The past is gone. I would like to change some of it. But I can't. Perhaps Clinton could/should have done more. What bothers me is the here and now. GWB is here and now.

I suppose some must feel like they are defending the Republican party. :confused:
Not me. I was just pondering if there was a common thread to their lack of energy program improvements.