Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
How does that "can't lock the fob in the car" work? If I'm parked in a lot, maybe waiting for DW to run in and do some shopping, and a suspicious looking character is walking towards the car, are you saying I can't lock the doors, because I'm in the car (with the fob)?
My cars don't actually have this feature, so I'm guessing here (perhaps someone else can confirm/clarify?), but I believe you can always lock your doors by pressing the "lock" button on the door itself (the exception being the driver's door, while it's open - again, to prevent you from locking yourself out). But the lock button on the fob might not work if you're sitting inside the car with the fob.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Wow, I had no idea so many people hid spare keys somewhere on the exterior of their vehicles! I've never done that, and have never needed to. Also, I think many of the complaints about these fobs are missing the point of the fob. "They cost too much to replace when it drops down the sewer grate." It won't drop down the sewer grate because unlike conventional keys, you never even need to take it out of your purse/pocket. "It's too big to hide a spare on the outside of my car in case I lock my keys inside." You won't lock your keys inside because the vehicle will refuse to lock with the fob inside.

Many of these complaints seem to be attempts to adapt old tactics to new technology, where the problems those tactics sought to solve no longer even exist anymore.
You don't find it possible to drop something that you keep in your pocket or handbag? I bow to you. Let my pedometers know how to do it.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I may want to switch off driving with DW, so when we get out of the car, I hand her the fob.
Don't hand her the fob, just be in the car while she's driving. I have switched off driving with DS many time where I just sit in the passenger seat and he can press the ON button and drive the car. Of course DW has her own fob.
Quote:
They can still get damaged/lost, and a traditional spare is a lot more convenient and cheaper than a locksmith.
Of course you can destroy or lose a fob. I expect that one of these days it's going through the washer in my pants. We'll see if it survives...
Quote:
How does that "can't lock the fob in the car" work? If I'm parked in a lot, maybe waiting for DW to run in and do some shopping, and a suspicious looking character is walking towards the car, are you saying I can't lock the doors, because I'm in the car (with the fob)?
If you are inside the car you can always push the lock button to lock/unlock the doors.

I was curious if this worked: lock car and leave the windows down - could I unlock the car?

Yes, with no key fob in my pocket, I could walk up to the car and pull up the lock stem. BUT if I then open the door, the alarm goes off (and it notifies the car company as well. They then give me a call (or email or text depending on my preference).

Of course, different cars/fobs may work a bit differently.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You don't find it possible to drop something that you keep in your pocket or handbag? I bow to you. Let my pedometers know how to do it.
I'm saying the chances of the stars aligning such that the one time I would drop a fob (which I would almost never need to even take out) also happened to be the time I happened to park right on top of a storm grate is so remote that it's not worth considering, in my opinion.

It's never happened to me yet, and I actually have to take out and use my keys every time on both of my current cars.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #65

Quote:
My cars don't actually have this feature, so I'm guessing here (perhaps someone else can confirm/clarify?), but I believe you can always lock your doors by pressing the "lock" button on the door itself (the exception being the driver's door, while it's open - again, to prevent you from locking yourself out). But the lock button on the fob might not work if you're sitting inside the car with the fob.
Again, different systems might differ, but for mine:

Sitting inside the car with fob, the fob's lock and unlock buttons lock and unlock all doors when I press the button. Likewise the unlock buttons lock and unlock button on the door do the same.

If the door is open, pressing the lock button locks all the doors except the driver's door.

The door handles function as lock unlock buttons too. Touching the outside area of the door handle locks the doors. Touching the inside area unlocks the doors. So it's natural that as you reach your hand in and pull the door handle, the car unlocks.

There is a setting that changes between having the door handle unlock feature unlock all doors or just unlock the driver's side. The provides an extra level of security (a potential bad guy can't jump in the car with you from the passenger side, for example).

There are other bells and whistles too. If you approach the car and hold down the unlock button on the fob, the car unlocks and all the windows plus the moon roof all open. This cools down the car quickly on a hot day. Holding down the lock button, locks it and puts up all the windows and moon roof.

And it's easy to get used to having the trunk open when you are standing next to it with your hands full (and have the fob of course).
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Don't hand her the fob, just be in the car while she's driving. I have switched off driving with DS many time where I just sit in the passenger seat and he can press the ON button and drive the car. Of course DW has her own fob. ....
Use your imagination - let's say I'm driving, and she drops me off somewhere, and she is going to drive away. I have to hand off the fob.

And what happens if I forget? Hmmmm, if the car is already started, and I get out with the fob, does it shut down, or beep at me, or something? And are all cars the same? If not, she gets to her destination, and she doesn't have the fob, and now can she lock the car (maybe manually, maybe not - my car with remote and key does not let me manually lock the car, I need to use key or remote). And w/o the fob, she can't get back in if she does lock it. She's stranded.

Two points that I'm making:

1) These large fobs make it impractical and relatively expensive to carry a spare in a wallet. Now you can minimize that all you want, and these fobs may protect against some of this to some degree. But it is a negative, no way around that.

2) These things are complex enough and there are so many different scenarios (user cases) and there may not be enough standardization to keep people from having 'ooooops' moments - which could be very inconvenient and expensive. Especially in multi-car families.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm saying the chances of the stars aligning such that the one time I would drop a fob (which I would almost never need to even take out) also happened to be the time I happened to park right on top of a storm grate is so remote that it's not worth considering, in my opinion.

It's never happened to me yet, and I actually have to take out and use my keys every time on both of my current cars.
I thought that too
Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #68

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea so many people hid spare keys somewhere on the exterior of their vehicles! I've never done that, and have never needed to. Also, I think many of the complaints about these fobs are missing the point of the fob. "They cost too much to replace when it drops down the sewer grate." It won't drop down the sewer grate because unlike conventional keys, you never even need to take it out of your purse/pocket. "It's too big to hide a spare on the outside of my car in case I lock my keys inside." You won't lock your keys inside because the vehicle will refuse to lock with the fob inside.
Obviously, all vehicles are different. My key is attached to my fob (no way to separate the two), and I have to take it out of my pocket on insert the laser key part into the ignition. And my car WILL lock with the key/fob inside. I tested it yesterday.

I'm just relieved that I found a locksmith that recognized this is an issue for many people and was able to reasonably help me with my problem. And, as my luck runs, now that I have it, I will probably never need to use it. I consider it a cheap insurance policy, and coupled with the peace of mind it provides, it's well worth it.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #69

They make Chocolat and Vanilla ice cream. Some like one not the other and some like both while some just hate ice cream.

For the first week I had it I can't say I was a fan. Now, I like it. Mine is a Nissan, and I believe that they have thought of most of the 'problems' brought up here. Just like a key, both my wife and I have a fob to the car. I am sure I could come up with situations where a key just did not work. i.e. I drove us to the air port and took off with the key in my pocket and she did not have her key. Fob no different.

We go to the mail box daily. The mail key is on the fob keyring. When we get there often DW takes the only fob and goes into the Post Office. The car will beep for a few seconds. Still runs and when she gets back we drive away. I have been told that it can be driven away, but not re-started if shut down. Advantage fob, if you leave a key in your car while you run in someone not only has your car, but most likely the keys to your house!

Some people will never like these, some will love them, and some just won't care. I like it. So don't knock it until you have tried it. (for a month or so)
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #70

In the old still w*rking days, are had a luxury auto that adjusted the drivers seat to the way they liked it. Of me and Ms G switched position you had to adjust the seat manually. Perish the thought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #71

grasshopper:

This one does cause a problem. Me 6'3" DW 5'4". When you get out of the car the steering wheel goes up, the seat goes back. When the next person gets in, and starts the car, it assumes the same driver and goes to the last setting. If DW forgets to push my position, I have a real nice knee sandwich.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #72

Quote:
Use your imagination - let's say I'm driving, and she drops me off somewhere, and she is going to drive away. I have to hand off the fob.

And what happens if I forget? Hmmmm, if the car is already started, and I get out with the fob, does it shut down, or beep at me, or something? And are all cars the same? If not, she gets to her destination, and she doesn't have the fob, and now can she lock the car (maybe manually, maybe not - my car with remote and key does not let me manually lock the car, I need to use key or remote). And w/o the fob, she can't get back in if she does lock it. She's stranded.

Two points that I'm making:

1) These large fobs make it impractical and relatively expensive to carry a spare in a wallet. Now you can minimize that all you want, and these fobs may protect against some of this to some degree. But it is a negative, no way around that.

2) These things are complex enough and there are so many different scenarios (user cases) and there may not be enough standardization to keep people from having 'ooooops' moments - which could be very inconvenient and expensive. Especially in multi-car families.

-ERD50
These things are far simpler than a physical key. You can always create a scenario in which the fob, or key, will cause issues.

For my wife and I, we each have a key fob. Handing off the car, as we both use both cars, is a complete non issue.

You can create scenarios in which a fob is a problem, and they are expensive, however I can create a lot more, some of which are a lot more expensive for simple keys.

Overall, IMO, fobs are much better than keys.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #73

Quote:
…..

-ERD50
My button starter fob, never leaves my purse. I cannot accidentally lock my purse in the car because the outside button to lock the car will not work.

If I'm in the car with my purse, I can still lock all doors from inside the car.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
some just hate ice cream.
I can't believe that!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post

Overall, IMO, fobs are much better than keys.
You are entitled to your opinion, and in many ways, it is understandable that some people would prefer fobs, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
These things are far simpler than a physical key. ...
You are not entitled to your own facts.

It is a fact that keys are simpler. Give 100 drivers the key for different mainstream model cars that still use keys, and they will all know how to use the basic functions. Give 100 drivers fobs for different mainstream model cars that use fobs, and they will be less likely to all know how to use the basic functions (like put it in accessory mode). Because fobs are more complex, and their operation is not always physically apparent.

Like what happened with me and DD - she had a spare fob in her suitcase, and we could not lock the car when we stopped. I didn't know why, because I didn't put the spare fob in the suitcase. If I had dropped her off to do some shopping, and then I went to park the car, I would have been stumped as to why the car did not lock when I pressed the *&^$%$^&^** LOCK button. That does not happen with a regular key - because keys are, in fact, simpler - they do not create the more complex scenarios like that.

-ERD50
Old 08-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
My button starter fob, never leaves my purse. I cannot accidentally lock my purse in the car because the outside button to lock the car will not work.

If I'm in the car with my purse, I can still lock all doors from inside the car.
But, that is not universal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Obviously, all vehicles are different. My key is attached to my fob (no way to separate the two), and I have to take it out of my pocket on insert the laser key part into the ignition. And my car WILL lock with the key/fob inside. I tested it yesterday. ... .
-ERD50
Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #77

ERD, I understand your position. You make some very valid points. . . . but (there's always a but) . . . someday you may be forced to use a FOB.

We recently bought a new car, and it's a FOB-only one. I have to say that being able to do most functions keylessly (lock, unlock, open trunk, start, stop) is a nice feature. Like anything else, you have to learn and understand how to use it. Here's another but . . . but if enough buyers demand older keyed systems, the automakers will likely offer them as an option.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #78

I wonder if the same discussions went on when Ford or who ever introduced the Key.

You want me do do what!

What if I loose it!

You want me to pay 10 cents for a new one!

Outrageous!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I can't believe that!
I was thinking the same thing!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #80

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, and in many ways, it is understandable that some people would prefer fobs, however...

You are not entitled to your own facts.

It is a fact that keys are simpler. ...
Even the 'simpler' question is not an objective one.
True, Fobs are mechanically more complicated.
Their use, is far simpler, although perhaps that is because I have been using them for 8 years.

I find it far simpler to never need to fish a key out of my pocket.
I find it far less likely to loose, because it so rarely leaves my pocket, and when it does it is in my closet.
I find it far simpler to simply sit down and press the brake to start the car, or touch the touchscreen to enter accessory mode.

However, some of what I mention as simpler, and you mention as confusing, is simple user interface, not the key fob itself.