New fangled key fob

Keys??
That is so cute ;)

My key fob stays in my pocket. As I approach the car door the handles extend.
When I sit down and place my foot on the brake, as long as I have the key fob, the car starts, simple and elegant.
The car won't lock if the fob is inside.
When carrying things to the car, I don't have to fish out a key.
If I do somehow get locked out, I'll open the car with my app (no fees for this). Or, my wife could open it with her app if my app wasn't working.

I agree with the statement that the biggest downside to them is the cost.
And the fact that fobs work differently in different cars can be an issue, for people that often use different cars. There are, however, lots of aspects of cars that vary from brand to brand.

I find the convenience, far outweighs the rare cost of replacing one.

Keys??
That is so cute ;)

My key fob stays in my pocket. As I approach the car door the handles extend.
When I sit down and place my foot on the brake, as long as I have the key fob, the car starts, simple and elegant.
The car won't lock if the fob is inside.

Braggart! :D

How many miles do you have on your Tesla? Any further thoughts on it?

Braggart! :D

How many miles do you have on your Tesla? Any further thoughts on it?

LOL!

Actually, our Prius also had a "smart key" fob, so I have been spoiled by not needing a key for quite a few years.

As for the Tesla, we are a bit over 39,000 miles. I'm loving every minute of it:)

You're supposed to pee on it. Urban myth?

Sounds more like a rural myth to me.

WRT the standards issue, the problem is that in order to have the standard, a Standards Committee must be formed with representatives from all involved parties. Then new parties come along before anything is done, and you have to start all over. I've sat on a few of these committees, and I'm here to tell you it's nearly impossible to get the various companies and gov't organizations to agree to what kind of bagels to get, much less actually determine anything important. Meanwhile each new player in whatever particular field you're meeting about comes in with their own "standard", and pretty soon you've got all the standards you could possibly want. Like the old saying goes, "the nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them".

P12969222.jpg

For the woman who has nearly everything, a Gucci key fob.

That's a custom UIPickerView. MOST UIPickerViews that people run across are the ones like Date/Time pickers where you see the chosen value between two lines, like a 'window' and roll the values up or down to pick the one you want.

This one needed a 'live' background, as in some modes the live video from the camera can be seen through it. That meant someone had to build a custom version (subclass for Obj-C folks). The big UI Oops here was in not providing the UIPickerView 'window', heavy selected text, and perspective cues.

The result is a picker that behaves like a UIPickerView, but looks more like a selection list.

Bad programmer! No biscuit. (bug filed)

https://developer.apple.com/library...experience/conceptual/mobilehig/Controls.html

Thanks for the technical background, I figured you knew a thing or three about this stuff ;).

That (the bolded part) is what I was afraid of - someone went to extra effort to make it worse! :facepalm: Still, the review process should have caught it, and sent that programmer back for 're-programming' (deeeze izzzz not how vee doooo zzingzzzz!).

And thanks for that developer's link - I just skimmed it, but it's kind of eye-opening to see just how many different ways we interact with these things. And if it is done 'right' (somewhat subjective - but there are some objective measures I'm sure), we just do it w/o hardly thinking about it. I'll admit that some of those date-wheel thingies might have me pause for a fraction of second, wondering if I grab it and slide it, or should I look for some up/down buttons. But then you get it, and it's all OK.

If anyone wants to bring up the 'Save As' fiasco (that's being polite - substitute any f-word foul-up phrase you prefer), well, that should be a thread of it's own!

-ERD50

Back to the OP, we have a 2002 VW Beetle TDI that has a key fob similar to the one pictured. We have two keys (plus a non-fob spare), and I'm pleased to announce that one of them still works remotely. That's pretty impressive, almost 13 years on a single battery. I haven't looked into how much it would cost to replace it, but I'm betting more than I want to pay. But 13 years is pretty good.

Wow, I had no idea so many people hid spare keys somewhere on the exterior of their vehicles! I've never done that, and have never needed to. Also, I think many of the complaints about these fobs are missing the point of the fob. "They cost too much to replace when it drops down the sewer grate." It won't drop down the sewer grate because unlike conventional keys, you never even need to take it out of your purse/pocket. "It's too big to hide a spare on the outside of my car in case I lock my keys inside." You won't lock your keys inside because the vehicle will refuse to lock with the fob inside.

Many of these complaints seem to be attempts to adapt old tactics to new technology, where the problems those tactics sought to solve no longer even exist anymore.

... Also, I think many of the complaints about these fobs are missing the point of the fob. "They cost too much to replace when it drops down the sewer grate." It won't drop down the sewer grate because unlike conventional keys, you never even need to take it out of your purse/pocket. ....

Never say 'never'. OK, the fob may reduce the number of times you have it out of your pocket/purse, but it sure doesn't eliminate it.

I may want to switch off driving with DW, so when we get out of the car, I hand her the fob. They can still get damaged/lost, and a traditional spare is a lot more convenient and cheaper than a locksmith.

How does that "can't lock the fob in the car" work? If I'm parked in a lot, maybe waiting for DW to run in and do some shopping, and a suspicious looking character is walking towards the car, are you saying I can't lock the doors, because I'm in the car (with the fob)?

-ERD50

How does that "can't lock the fob in the car" work? If I'm parked in a lot, maybe waiting for DW to run in and do some shopping, and a suspicious looking character is walking towards the car, are you saying I can't lock the doors, because I'm in the car (with the fob)?

My cars don't actually have this feature, so I'm guessing here (perhaps someone else can confirm/clarify?), but I believe you can always lock your doors by pressing the "lock" button on the door itself (the exception being the driver's door, while it's open - again, to prevent you from locking yourself out). But the lock button on the fob might not work if you're sitting inside the car with the fob.

Wow, I had no idea so many people hid spare keys somewhere on the exterior of their vehicles! I've never done that, and have never needed to. Also, I think many of the complaints about these fobs are missing the point of the fob. "They cost too much to replace when it drops down the sewer grate." It won't drop down the sewer grate because unlike conventional keys, you never even need to take it out of your purse/pocket. "It's too big to hide a spare on the outside of my car in case I lock my keys inside." You won't lock your keys inside because the vehicle will refuse to lock with the fob inside.

Many of these complaints seem to be attempts to adapt old tactics to new technology, where the problems those tactics sought to solve no longer even exist anymore.

You don't find it possible to drop something that you keep in your pocket or handbag? I bow to you. Let my pedometers know how to do it.

I may want to switch off driving with DW, so when we get out of the car, I hand her the fob.
Don't hand her the fob, just be in the car while she's driving. I have switched off driving with DS many time where I just sit in the passenger seat and he can press the ON button and drive the car. Of course DW has her own fob.
They can still get damaged/lost, and a traditional spare is a lot more convenient and cheaper than a locksmith.
Of course you can destroy or lose a fob. I expect that one of these days it's going through the washer in my pants. We'll see if it survives...
If you are inside the car you can always push the lock button to lock/unlock the doors.

I was curious if this worked: lock car and leave the windows down - could I unlock the car?

Yes, with no key fob in my pocket, I could walk up to the car and pull up the lock stem. BUT if I then open the door, the alarm goes off (and it notifies the car company as well. They then give me a call (or email or text depending on my preference).

Of course, different cars/fobs may work a bit differently.

You don't find it possible to drop something that you keep in your pocket or handbag? I bow to you. Let my pedometers know how to do it.

I'm saying the chances of the stars aligning such that the one time I would drop a fob (which I would almost never need to even take out) also happened to be the time I happened to park right on top of a storm grate is so remote that it's not worth considering, in my opinion.

It's never happened to me yet, and I actually have to take out and use my keys every time on both of my current cars.

My cars don't actually have this feature, so I'm guessing here (perhaps someone else can confirm/clarify?), but I believe you can always lock your doors by pressing the "lock" button on the door itself (the exception being the driver's door, while it's open - again, to prevent you from locking yourself out). But the lock button on the fob might not work if you're sitting inside the car with the fob.

Again, different systems might differ, but for mine:

Sitting inside the car with fob, the fob's lock and unlock buttons lock and unlock all doors when I press the button. Likewise the unlock buttons lock and unlock button on the door do the same.

If the door is open, pressing the lock button locks all the doors except the driver's door.

The door handles function as lock unlock buttons too. Touching the outside area of the door handle locks the doors. Touching the inside area unlocks the doors. So it's natural that as you reach your hand in and pull the door handle, the car unlocks.

There is a setting that changes between having the door handle unlock feature unlock all doors or just unlock the driver's side. The provides an extra level of security (a potential bad guy can't jump in the car with you from the passenger side, for example).

There are other bells and whistles too. If you approach the car and hold down the unlock button on the fob, the car unlocks and all the windows plus the moon roof all open. This cools down the car quickly on a hot day. Holding down the lock button, locks it and puts up all the windows and moon roof.

And it's easy to get used to having the trunk open when you are standing next to it with your hands full (and have the fob of course).

Don't hand her the fob, just be in the car while she's driving. I have switched off driving with DS many time where I just sit in the passenger seat and he can press the ON button and drive the car. Of course DW has her own fob. ....

Use your imagination - let's say I'm driving, and she drops me off somewhere, and she is going to drive away. I have to hand off the fob.

And what happens if I forget? Hmmmm, if the car is already started, and I get out with the fob, does it shut down, or beep at me, or something? And are all cars the same? If not, she gets to her destination, and she doesn't have the fob, and now can she lock the car (maybe manually, maybe not - my car with remote and key does not let me manually lock the car, I need to use key or remote). And w/o the fob, she can't get back in if she does lock it. She's stranded.

Two points that I'm making:

1) These large fobs make it impractical and relatively expensive to carry a spare in a wallet. Now you can minimize that all you want, and these fobs may protect against some of this to some degree. But it is a negative, no way around that.

2) These things are complex enough and there are so many different scenarios (user cases) and there may not be enough standardization to keep people from having 'ooooops' moments - which could be very inconvenient and expensive. Especially in multi-car families.

-ERD50

I'm saying the chances of the stars aligning such that the one time I would drop a fob (which I would almost never need to even take out) also happened to be the time I happened to park right on top of a storm grate is so remote that it's not worth considering, in my opinion.

It's never happened to me yet, and I actually have to take out and use my keys every time on both of my current cars.

I thought that too :)

Obviously, all vehicles are different. My key is attached to my fob (no way to separate the two), and I have to take it out of my pocket on insert the laser key part into the ignition. And my car WILL lock with the key/fob inside. I tested it yesterday.

I'm just relieved that I found a locksmith that recognized this is an issue for many people and was able to reasonably help me with my problem. And, as my luck runs, now that I have it, I will probably never need to use it. I consider it a cheap insurance policy, and coupled with the peace of mind it provides, it's well worth it.

They make Chocolat and Vanilla ice cream. Some like one not the other and some like both while some just hate ice cream.

For the first week I had it I can't say I was a fan. Now, I like it. Mine is a Nissan, and I believe that they have thought of most of the 'problems' brought up here. Just like a key, both my wife and I have a fob to the car. I am sure I could come up with situations where a key just did not work. i.e. I drove us to the air port and took off with the key in my pocket and she did not have her key. Fob no different.

We go to the mail box daily. The mail key is on the fob keyring. When we get there often DW takes the only fob and goes into the Post Office. The car will beep for a few seconds. Still runs and when she gets back we drive away. I have been told that it can be driven away, but not re-started if shut down. Advantage fob, if you leave a key in your car while you run in someone not only has your car, but most likely the keys to your house!

Some people will never like these, some will love them, and some just won't care. I like it. So don't knock it until you have tried it. (for a month or so) :)

Last edited:
In the old still w*rking days, are had a luxury auto that adjusted the drivers seat to the way they liked it. Of me and Ms G switched position you had to adjust the seat manually. Perish the thought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

grasshopper:

This one does cause a problem. Me 6'3" DW 5'4". When you get out of the car the steering wheel goes up, the seat goes back. When the next person gets in, and starts the car, it assumes the same driver and goes to the last setting. If DW forgets to push my position, I have a real nice knee sandwich.

Use your imagination - let's say I'm driving, and she drops me off somewhere, and she is going to drive away. I have to hand off the fob.

And what happens if I forget? Hmmmm, if the car is already started, and I get out with the fob, does it shut down, or beep at me, or something? And are all cars the same? If not, she gets to her destination, and she doesn't have the fob, and now can she lock the car (maybe manually, maybe not - my car with remote and key does not let me manually lock the car, I need to use key or remote). And w/o the fob, she can't get back in if she does lock it. She's stranded.

Two points that I'm making:

1) These large fobs make it impractical and relatively expensive to carry a spare in a wallet. Now you can minimize that all you want, and these fobs may protect against some of this to some degree. But it is a negative, no way around that.

2) These things are complex enough and there are so many different scenarios (user cases) and there may not be enough standardization to keep people from having 'ooooops' moments - which could be very inconvenient and expensive. Especially in multi-car families.

-ERD50

These things are far simpler than a physical key. You can always create a scenario in which the fob, or key, will cause issues.

For my wife and I, we each have a key fob. Handing off the car, as we both use both cars, is a complete non issue.

You can create scenarios in which a fob is a problem, and they are expensive, however I can create a lot more, some of which are a lot more expensive for simple keys.

Overall, IMO, fobs are much better than keys.

…..

-ERD50

My button starter fob, never leaves my purse. I cannot accidentally lock my purse in the car because the outside button to lock the car will not work.

If I'm in the car with my purse, I can still lock all doors from inside the car.

Overall, IMO, fobs are much better than keys.

You are entitled to your opinion, and in many ways, it is understandable that some people would prefer fobs, however...

These things are far simpler than a physical key. ...

You are not entitled to your own facts.

It is a fact that keys are simpler. Give 100 drivers the key for different mainstream model cars that still use keys, and they will all know how to use the basic functions. Give 100 drivers fobs for different mainstream model cars that use fobs, and they will be less likely to all know how to use the basic functions (like put it in accessory mode). Because fobs are more complex, and their operation is not always physically apparent.

Like what happened with me and DD - she had a spare fob in her suitcase, and we could not lock the car when we stopped. I didn't know why, because I didn't put the spare fob in the suitcase. If I had dropped her off to do some shopping, and then I went to park the car, I would have been stumped as to why the car did not lock when I pressed the *&^$%$^&^** LOCK button. That does not happen with a regular key - because keys are, in fact, simpler - they do not create the more complex scenarios like that.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom