Join Early Retirement Today

New federal law offers consumer protection for negative online reviews
Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

New federal law offers consumer protection for negative online reviews

I saw in the recent issue of Consumer Reports that the Consumer Review Fairness Act was signed into law in December. This law prohibits non-disparagement, or “gag” clauses, in consumer contracts designed to discourage negative online reviews.

While the law doesn't give reviewers free reign to make outrageous and untruthful statements when writing a review, it does strike a blow for free speech.

Quote:
While the new law should eliminate such clauses from contracts, it does not mean the company cannot still sue a client over a negative review, said Alderman.

“The law voids contract provisions that prohibit, and try to punish, individuals from asserting their First Amendment rights to express an opinion about goods or services,” he said. But “a person could still be subject to suit under our defamation and liable laws if what they say is false. An honest opinion is, however, protected.”

Read more here: New federal law prohibits non-disparagement clauses in contract to prevent online reviews | The Star-Telegram
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good to know!

Didn't realize it was creeping into sales contracts - yikes!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Good to know!

Didn't realize it was creeping into sales contracts - yikes!
Yes, I've seen many articles about that happening. Rarely does anyone have to pay money for damages, but they are out their attorney's fees and hassle time.