Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I really can’t understand it. When everything is supposed to advance and improve how can appliances have regressed so badly. I agree it’s not just a Samsung thing.

If I was motivated, what a business opportunity. Some company that can actually build quality appliances would shine bright over the cesspool of the market. I’m definitely not motivated [emoji4]. Or qualified.

It’s perplexing. They can put a man on mars but can’t build quality appliances.
Maybe everyone already knows this, but perhaps the current manufacturers of junk are making good profits by making people buy new stuff every 5 years. Maybe there is a cartel in place that has managed to keep new competition (of long-lasting, quality appliances that make less profit) out of the market. Just sayin'. But of course everyone knows that, right? LOL
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #42

We have a Maytag with a bottom freezer and love it. IMO, the ice maker takes uo too much freezer room. I asked the installer to remove it, but he refused, saying it was wired in!. After he left, I removed the 2 screws holding it, and unplugged it
We bought a small stand alone ice maker I keep in the garage that makes 20 pounds a day with filtered water. In our freezer we have a small rectangular ice bucket to hold the ice.
The biggest problem is we have well water here that tastes terrible, and I did not want to make ice with it, anyway.
I am retired, so once I week I fill up 6 to 10 gallon bottles from a machine, and maybe once a day fill up the ice bucket.
P.S. I have 2 brand new ice makers in my garage if anyone wants one
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

We've had our new Samsung French Door fridge since November. No middle drawer, only bottom freezer. We absolutely love it. You may not be able to wait but the 2 best times to buy appliances are July and November. Normally $2500 got for 1699. Good luck in your quest. Incidentally we have had several of supposedly "high end" appliances before most of which had issues. Don't be fooled by the names sub-zero, Wolf, Viking etc... We do like GE profiles.
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

I will never buy a high end appliance again. We've been through all the big brands -- Sub-Zero, GE Profile, Miehl, etc., and all have failed. Now I just go to Sears and say "give me the cheapest and simplest." I was elated to find a dryer without a bulb -- just one more thing to break like ice makers, water dispensers, etc.

But I do have an ice maker -- my spouse.
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #45

We go to the GE scratch and dent warehouse here in Houston . Really wonderful buys . Same warranty as new from the appliance store and you get to talk to technicians , not a 17 year old kid .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #46
gone traveling

We're in the LG french doors/bottom freezer camp too. 2+ years in it's been issues-free.

It's a "counter depth", but I consider that false advertising because a)it's book says maintain 2" clearance in the back for air circulation for the compressor to operate properly and b) if you have a water line, you can't push it too the wall anyway.. Well, 24" frig depth + 2" clearance = 26" & my counters are 24" - as are everyone's else's unless custom made. I nailed a couple of 2 x 2 pieces to the wall to prevent pushing it too close to the wall.

Still think it's great despite the narrow depth reducing capacity because when I open the doors I feel like I'm surrounded by the fridge, standing in it, with no reach to the back for hidden items.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
New fridge recommendations
Old 04-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #47

New fridge recommendations

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, advice, and sometimes funny stories.

DW and I made our replacement purchase today. We selected an LG side by side counter depth model. I’ve read of fewer ice maker problems in side by sides, since the ice maker is located in the actual freezer side of the unit. DW wanted counter depth and for just the 2 of us it provides enough space.

I realize it’s a crapshoot on almost any model. Hopefully we will get lucky with this one. I’m not sure I can spend the time and emotional investment fighting another lemon as was required with the last one. Even as expensive as these things are, it’s almost not worth it. And of course, that’s their strategy. Effective I suppose.

One final piece of good news, the newest purchase was actually $625 less than the lemon we are replacing. So, I’m actually getting a credit back to my card! Ahh......the sweet smell of victory.

Muir
Old 04-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a side note for the veterans out there. We’ve saved a bundle buying from Lowe’s using their 10 percent veterans discount.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I'm no help because we're very happy with our 8-year old Samsung french door fridge. Sorry you got a lemon.
+1

9 years going on our Samsung, French doors, freezer on the bottom. Water and ice through the left door. Ice maker takes up the space of about a 12 pack of pepsi in the fridge section.

Aren't all refrigerators make by like 3 companies and sold under all the different brand names anyhow
Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I will never buy a high end appliance again.
I am the opposite.
Last Fall, we bought Sub-Zero x 2, Wolf hob, Miele ovens x 2, Zephyr hood, Blum LEGRABOX.
Quality first, price is less important.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I am the opposite.
Last Fall, we bought Sub-Zero x 2, Wolf hob, Miele ovens x 2, Zephyr hood, Blum LEGRABOX.

I have to agree with Dave. We've got a Sub-Zero fridge, a Wolf gas cooktop and double Wolf electric wall ovens. They have worked great for over 12 years. We had an Asko dishwasher but just got a Miele, because the racks in the Asko were rusting after 12 years and it would have cost several hundred dollars just to replace them. The young wife is happy every day in her kitchen, and that makes me happy.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Same here. We have a Sub Zero Pro 48 refrigerator (talk about blowing dough, I told DW I would bury her in it if she goes first), a Viking gas range and double Viking ovens. 10+ years without a single problem. The range has such fine simmer control that you can melt a piece of chocolate on a paper plate. The plate scorches a bit, but doesn't burn. This is of no practical use, but it's fun to show people. I do a lot of cooking, and love the range. The only real negative about the fridge is that with the glass door you don't have door storage, and I use a lot of condiments. But it's so big everything fits anyway. And I love the giant produce drawer.

We have Samsung in our FL house, but only a couple years old so I can't vouch for longevity. But they seem pretty sturdy. The dishwasher is a little noisy, though.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am the opposite.
That's what they want you to think...there is also the equation of quality vs value. What kind of a warranty comes with a sub zero fridge? I'm just curious for how long they back up their products. From my experience high end products out of warranty cost more to repair and because you paid so much money for them you feel obligated to repair them.

I have a friend with a sub zero that has a separate pull out 2 drawer freezer unit and it died completely at less then 10 years. In 45 years I've never had a conventional or cheaper fridge completely fail in that manner.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #54

Appliance are like anything else, say cars. If you want high end it will cost you but if it gives you pleasure then go for it. I've thought about a better stove but not really worth it to me. OTOH got DW a BMW hardtop convertible that just went off warranty. She loves the car but I know it is going to be way above the cost to maintain a Honda. I can't think of anything off hand that the high end products cost way more to purchase but less to maintain in the long run (that have mechanical/electrical parts). And yes, I know there are exceptions and anecdotes otherwise!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What kind of a warranty comes with a sub zero fridge?
12 years.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The biggest problem is we have well water here that tastes terrible, and I did not want to make ice with it, anyway.
Get an iron filter. No more foul taste or stained plumbing fixtures. We got one to reduce the arsenic levels in our well water -- the results were life-changing.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
12 years.
So I it's 5 for the cooling system and between 5 plus and 12 the cooling system is covered for parts only and the owners must pay all labor and fees...
and they want you to use their certified repair people.

My friend bought a house in the crash.. with wooden cabinet fronts for the fridge and separate wooden pull outs for the freezer, it's basically part of the cabinetry, so he is pretty much at the mercy of sub-zero and it's repairmen forever.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

We considered a Sub-Zero when we redid our kitchen but the price difference for the benefits was too much, even though we did choose high end brands for the rest of the appliances and love using them (blow that dough!). Sometimes I wish we had more seriously considered it. The functions that we need of a refrigerator are pretty simple and despite our woes described above, the freezer and refrigerator compartments stay exactly at the temps we set and the configuration is perfect for us. Since we have the depth space for a full-size fridge to still align with the cabinets, which is much cheaper than the counter depth, we can replace it six times before hitting Sub-Zero $ numbers. Plus those Sub-Zero doors are a lot stronger than I am—man do they seal tight!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #59

We have a three-year old double door Samsung (bought at Lowe's). Also bought a 5-year warranty (parts and labor). The repair guy is coming out tomorrow. Seems like the fan (or a fan) is hitting some built-up ice. Apparently, this is a defect of the refrigerator because there's a bunch of comments on-line about this problem. Can also watch the temporary fix on YouTube.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I probably had the only lemon LG french door refrigerator . It died at 3 and a half years old and Lg customer service was awful.
Nope, some good friends of ours has nothing but trouble with an expensive LG fridge/freezer, several unsuccessful warranty calls, and it had to be replaced at our friends expense 12 months after they bought it new. Needless to say

We have a kitchen with GE fridge/freezer, dishwasher, gas range and microwave - all doing fine 3 years in...

You can get a lemon from ANY manufacturer, and when we looked at the Consumer Reports kitchen appliance review, we were shocked at how spotty reliabilty was for all the expensive name appliance e.g. Viking, Sub-Zero, LG, Samsung, etc.

I rarely buy any big ticket item without at least looking at what Consumer Reports has to say...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote